My spaniels Journey

Mr Rizzini

To be honest when I find someone who knows what they are at to help me I wont be wasting my time writing things here for the trolls to ramble on. My dog is a 9 week old springer and with your's being a different breed and age I think things would prob need approached different, I may be wrong here but thats my thoughts and perhaps with your dog being 6 months you should be getting into some training now as Im sure my info will be very slow.

Cheers, I have him retrieving well on land but im not sure when the right age is to introduce him to water. Thanks all the same.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody got any good advice on how to stop my pup from biting everyone everytime they go to give her attention?

I found that most of my spaniels try to get hold of my cuff when they were pups some folk took this for biting but I think its just in the make up of the dog maybe got something to do with there milk teeth anyway they stop doing it as they got older.Just to ad don't put your hand next to it's mouth. Edited by scutt

I found that most of my spaniels try to get hold of my cuff when they were pups some folk took this for biting but I think its just in the make up of the dog maybe got something to do with there milk teeth anyway they stop doing it as they got older.Just to ad don't put your hand next to it's mouth.

cheers for that mate, I sew her mouth up now lol

Anybody got any good advice on how to stop my pup from biting everyone everytime they go to give her attention?

I always rub butter on my hands - teach the dog that skin is for licking rather than biting. But I only do this now and again because if you do it too much you end up with a dog that just licks and licks and licks - and thats more annoying! Other than that I give the pups something they can chew - an old tea towel soaked in non salted chicken soup and then frozen, or chicken wings. And also distraction with toys instead.

Im guessing its a case of don't give the dog any sign that the behaviours it is doing is good unless you want the behaviour to stick then it can be given a treat to let it know if it does the good things it gets a treat. Poor wee begger is automatically sitting now when I reach for the food bowl lol, She's coming on well with the sitting on command and is retreiving a toy pretty well. heres what Im doing to steady the behaviours.

1- Sitting

As advised, When I have the dogs attention i.e eye contact etc I blow a short pip on the whistle as well as a policemans stop hand signal followed by the word sit in which when the pups bum touches the floor she gets a treat and told how good she is plus somes pets. Sometimes I do this but leave out the treat and give her cuddles instead. I also do this while taking short walks outside.

2- Recall

I started by throwing her favourite toy (them all) and when she lifts the toy and comes in my direction I blow 3-4 fast pips on the whistle and say "come here" and when she reaches me with the toy I say "Good girl, well done etc" and give her a treat. I also give her cuddles and praise instead of treats from time to time.

anyhow she seems to be coming on well and a bit steadier than she was 2 weeks ago, If I'm doing anything wrong or could be doing it better please advise me.

Cheers

I shall try and get a video of her over the christmas period so anyone interested can see and also it will be a good reference point for future members to see how she is progressing with the said training. cheers for all the help so far and merry christmas :)

there is a wealth of stuff on here pinned from new to the flock, you would not do too badly just going through those and using them

I trained my dog using these topics and whilst he's no ftch he's not doing too badly if I do say so myself.

It's a long process and it's not all been smooth sailing to say the least. It's a rewarding feeling working with an animal though so keep at it. If you're anything like me you've got more to learn than the dog. :lol:

Edited by Logo

I trained my dog using these topics and whilst he's no ftch he's not doing too badly if I do say so myself.

It's a long process and it's not all been smooth sailing to say the least. It's a rewarding feeling working with an animal though so keep at it. If you're anything like me you've got more to learn than the dog. :lol:

cheers for that mate, I think your right about the dogs learning quicker than us

doh I hav just seen this now lol

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/47072-an-8-week-obediance-course/

Mr Rizzini it looks like your doing ok with the dog a little at a time is the best way to go,just a tip for latter when you get on to water retrieving when you send the dog into the water walk down to the waters edge and as the dog is about to come out walk away a few yards so the dog wants to run back to you this stops the dog from shaking as it comes out of the water.

I always rub butter on my hands - teach the dog that skin is for licking rather than biting. But I only do this now and again because if you do it too much you end up with a dog that just licks and licks and licks - and thats more annoying! Other than that I give the pups something they can chew - an old tea towel soaked in non salted chicken soup and then frozen, or chicken wings. And also distraction with toys instead.

Words fail me !!

• 2 weeks later...