What to look at for a mid price clay gun

rich_morris

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with Willpoon the 725 is a lovely gun and sits at the bottom end of your budget. If you are wedded to a Beretta then the Browning may not work for you as their fit are quite different. I wouldn't rule any of the guns out that you have mentioned - try them all, one will just feel right! Good luck, I have just been through this stage and tried loads but loved only one (B725).

Nothin wrong with the brownings ,just you pay a he'll of a lot more money for somethin fancy. Buy a dt beretta and you get a better stronger action. Maybe just my idea.i just bought a Caesar guerini to try. Will have to see how i get on with it. Just having a notion to get back at clays myself

The DT is still well out of my bracket, unless well used. As are Perazzi and Blaser.

I have never seen a Caesar guerini - how does it compare to the build of a beretta? They look good on their website.

Have to agree with Willpoon the 725 is a lovely gun and sits at the bottom end of your budget. If you are wedded to a Beretta then the Browning may not work for you as their fit are quite different. I wouldn't rule any of the guns out that you have mentioned - try them all, one will just feel right! Good luck, I have just been through this stage and tried loads but loved only one (B725).

I am not wedded to beretta. When I went to buy my gun, I actually went to buy a browning (bottom of the range at the time cannot remember which), but came away with the beretta which really stretched my budget at the time. As you say, the beretta felt right.

I am tall, and slim, and have a long neck (No, I am not a giraffe)- somebody told me that suited Browning fit rather than Beretta.

I will look at the 725.

Edited by rich_morris

I am not wedded to beretta. When I went to buy my gun, I actually went to buy a browning (bottom of the range at the time cannot remember which), but came away with the beretta which really stretched my budget at the time. As you say, the beretta felt right.

I am tall, and slim, and have a long neck (No, I am not a giraffe)- somebody told me that suited Browning fit rather than Beretta.

I will look at the 725.

The 725 is a bit of a midway between a Browning action and a Beretta action...(lot slimmer than normal Browning but quite as slim as a Beretta)

Is the Ultra a 525 with bells and whistles?.....

No, its got different engraving, different forend

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Browning_Shotgun_B525-Supersport-Prestige_For-Sale_121015105727001

Browning 525 Supersport Prestige

As opposed to

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Browning_Shotgun_Ultra-XS-Titanium-Prestige_For-Sale_120316184253005

Ultra Titanium Prestige

you could use the same arguement for Beretta, unless you go for the hand made SO series, the 686/687/682 are all basically the same with different bells and whistles

People of course will argue against this,

you have Browning people and Beretta people.... both will argue theirs is the best, I find Brownings/Miroku's suit me better as the action is fuller

:shaun:

Caesar Guerini is worth a look. A well made gun and value for money. I have one and I am very pleased with it and I have owned Perazzi and a DT10 previously. The Perazzi was an excellent gun which I liked very much but just fancied a change. The DT 10 doesn`t compare in my opinion.

Bill

I was looking at the DT11 and the Zoli Z sport in one of my moments even tried the zoli out, which was very nice. Getting it would of cost me all of my guns + a lot of cash on top, If you want to go down the route of up grading try and find a demo or second hand gun that you can try out, so you know what its like.

In the end I went back through thhe guns I had and re-used them and reduced the ones I did not need or want and went down the s/a route. The DT11 and Zoli :wub: still get a look when in the shop but I can't justify these guns. If you have the funds, enjoy getting a gun that you like and fits you, just take your time in finding whats best for you.

I was looking at the DT11 and the Zoli Z sport in one of my moments even tried the zoli out, which was very nice. ........... If you have the funds, enjoy getting a gun that you like and fits you, just take your time in finding whats best for you.

DT11 and Zoli are out of my league too. £2.5 to £3K doesn't get me either of those as far as I can see - unless you know somewhere doing good discounts!!!

DT11 and Zoli are out of my league too. £2.5 to £3K doesn't get me either of those as far as I can see - unless you know somewhere doing good discounts!!!

Unfortunately don't know if any where is discounting them to that extent otherwise would have one by now. I did try the 682 gold a while ago and found it a bit too whippy for me. Why I think its hard to recomend any expensive gun without trying them out first, or it could be that I am just a awkward person to find a gun thats really suitable for me.

I doubt you will see a 692 on the shelf before May and probably going to be priced towards or above the top end of your budget.

At present its looking like a 682 Gold E, or an older DT10 from Beretta.

There are some very good guns for sale within your budget range and "one that fits" is the best comment so far whatever make/model you choose.

Salvinelli Monaco. Better value for money than Zoli, DT10/11, Perazzi, Kemen or Guerini.

Gordan, who has a a really good range on the shelf of the Salvinelli Monaco guns? I'd like to have a look and feel.

I bought a few Guerini's in the early days and the game guns are superb, but like most things in life their prices have rocketed and the brand is much less competitive.

I'd welcome a link or PM. Thanks.

Rich

Very few seem to have referred to Miroku's in their replies. Don't know why because they are really great guns and £2500 will get you a spanking new MK38 Grade 5 in either Trap or Sporting form. If you go the trap route you could spend the exra dosh on getting Mr Teague to custom fit the barrels with some of his wonderful thinwall chokes. Mirokus IMHO offer terrific value for money with bomb proof actions and pretty solid residual values. Definitely worth a test drive :good:

Steve

Kelbrook Shooting School are the main people in the country for Salvinellis and Kemens. I bought one from Premier Guns at Doveridge and the other from Kelbrook.

I have owned a fair number of guns, but these are the best handling for me. They feel a lot lighter than they actually are. The finish is right up there with the Perazzis and DT10s.

If i had that kind of money to spend no way would i be buying a 525 with a few bells and whistles.as far as i can see brownings are all basically the same.unless you buy a proper hand made one, which then is a proper gun

The ultra is does not use the 525 action or woodwork the balance is totally different shoot a 525 then an ultra, you don't know what your talking about what a muppet