Pheasant advice

bullet1747

Went out this morning after doing a few jobs at new house ,got set up and settled when mother on law rang next door has been round shouting the odds at her she is 75 next week ,any way packed up and went home thought I'd better be a good boy don't want to lose my guns, sorted it out so changed guns and took Rimfire out ,after about 30 mins got a couple of pigeons as well as shooting the bloody wing mirror a pheasant popped up 50 yards and I couldn't spook it so head shot was done ,now I said I won't shoot owt if I wouldn't try eating it so the question is how long do I hang it for and is it guts in or out sorry about the grammar cheers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went out this morning after doing a few jobs at new house ,got set up and settled when mother on law rang next door has been round shouting the odds at her she is 75 next week ,any way packed up and went home thought I'd better be a good boy don't want to lose my guns, sorted it out so changed guns and took Rimfire out ,after about 30 mins got a couple of pigeons as well as shooting the bloody wing mirror a pheasant popped up 50 yards and I couldn't spook it so head shot was done ,now I said I won't shoot owt if I wouldn't try eating it so the question is how long do I hang it for and is it guts in or out sorry about the grammar cheers

Guts in. In this weather, assuming you would hang it in garage or similar anything up to a week would not be too long (as it's head shot and it's cold out there).

Weather due to possibly warm up at end of week so you might want to pluck and draw it after 3 or 4 days.

As already said it would be different if gut shot and the weather was warm and muggy when many people would prefer it not being hung for more than 1 or 2 days as they go pretty ripe very quickly then!

C'mon guys - we all know he broke the conditions on his ticket - ok - it's not a big deal but trying to shroud it in vagueness and interpretation is rubbish - just take it on the chin and don't do it again...

:rolleyes:

I won't ,come on guys we all enjoy the sport looks like I was wrong won't happen twice ,can't bring it back it's no head

I won't ,come on guys we all enjoy the sport looks like I was wrong won't happen twice ,can't bring it back it's no head

Correct - well done for just putting your hand up - mistakes happen - as long as we learn from them...:good:

....you know badgers are protected right? :lol:

Your not alone, plenty of gamekeepers shoot old cock pheasants on the feed ride, birds which have obviously been injured, VERY OFTEN AFTER THE PHEASANT SHOOTING SEASON HAS ENDED the weapon of choice usually .22 rifle.. If it was a safe shot and you had the right to shoot whats the harm?

Blackpowder

Edited by Blackpowder