I Knew it.

GRamsay

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, sad but true. It would help weed out all the neds, chavs and wannabe rambos owning one. You know the type 'my gun will shoot through a brick wall at 80 yards' and 'what's the best place to shoot a cat'?

Honestly, how much of a pain is it to fill a form in every 4 years or fit a cabinet? All the serious airgun folk spend hundreds on modifying their rifles, is another hundred on a cabinet that much of a problem?

Sadly, there's that many air rifles in the hands of complete and utter chocolates that something has to be done, a bit late granted, but the situation cannot remain as is.

Thats my 2p anyway.

Yep, sad but true. It would help weed out all the neds, chavs and wannabe rambos owning one. You know the type 'my gun will shoot through a brick wall at 80 yards' and 'what's the best place to shoot a cat'?

Honestly, how much of a pain is it to fill a form in every 4 years or fit a cabinet? All the serious airgun folk spend hundreds on modifying their rifles, is another hundred on a cabinet that much of a problem?

Sadly, there's that many air rifles in the hands of complete and utter chocolates that something has to be done, a bit late granted, but the situation cannot remain as is.

Thats my 2p anyway.

A Licence is,nt going to stop all the idiots getting there hands on a gun though, Thats the problem, If they want a gun i,m sure they,ll get one from somewhere

This is a load of tosh. If they bring this in, i would expect every shooter in the country to protest outside the local town hall and police commisioners office. Lets ban handguns to stop gun crime?? Why not punish offenders instead? Why do we have such idiots running the country.

It's not a further restriction though is it? This simply brings air weapons in line with shotguns and firearms. No ban is being mentioned, simply a system of licensing that allows for an offence of owning an unlicensed airgun to be created.

If you cannot just walk into a shop and buy an airgun without a license and, presumably, some form of vetting you stop the chocolates getting their hands on them at source.

Personally, I would be happy to see this extended to crossbows and bows also. I accept, I'm probably in a minority on here.

if these idiots want a gun they just buy them off their mates and lets be honest you can buy a handgun/firearm cheaper on the black market than you can get a decent air rifle for,i totally agree with the punishment, should be a lot more on those idiots that cause problems with air rifles, but i do think its a bit sad on the genuine air rifle owners who dont break the law,lust my oppinion

my dad bought my airguns when i was very young and kept them stored away only letting me use them when he got them out and always in a safe but fun way under his supervision, we didnt have a lot of money which i imagine is the same as most young families so bringing in a licence and further restrictions could stop a lot of people from getting that experiance and fun at a young age and thus getting a taste for shooting at a early age.

I turned out fine and very safe using weapons because of being told how to use them properly and getting a clip round the ear if i didnt,

i dont think the actions of a few morons and the fact that those peoples parents were useless should bring in changes for the rest of us.

my dad bought my airguns when i was very young and kept them stored away only letting me use them when he got them out and always in a safe but fun way under his supervision, we didnt have a lot of money which i imagine is the same as most young families so bringing in a licence and further restrictions could stop a lot of people from getting that experiance and fun at a young age and thus getting a taste for shooting at a early age.

I turned out fine and very safe using weapons because of being told how to use them properly and getting a clip round the ear if i didnt,

i dont think the actions of a few morons and the fact that those peoples parents were useless should bring in changes for the rest of us.

I Agree with you, But you can be sure, Its going to happen

I know it's going to be an extra expense, which in this period of economic instability is a concern, but if it's well thought through and properly enforced, I'd be in favour of it, if it did make its way south of the border. Those of us that fish have to pay £29 license (course fishing) and that only gives us access to fishing on open river-ways and doesn't include day ticket/membership to club waters, yet it is still one of the most popular pastimes in the country.

We don't know the details yet of how the licensing is going to take shape, but that's where shooting societies and clubs need to make their voices heard, not by simply opposing the scheme - it will become law anyway - but by making sure it's not so restrictive and costly that the sport's future is affected.

hopefully, it will mean a reduction in offences, if backed up by proper penalties, and those who are genuinely keen to take up the sport will be forced to go to clubs if there is no one in their family to teach them. That will mean they pick up the skills to shoot and a proper respect for their guns.

Nice theory, we'll have to see if common sense can sneak into the bill as well as the law!

surely guys any restriction that weed out some of the irrisponsible gun owners or would be owners is a great thing, as a responsable gun owner it wouldnt matter to me to part with 50 quid a year for the registered ownership of guns, i would like to sleep at night knowing that most of the guns in this wonderfull country of mine are accounted for,lets not forget we can easily spend 50 quid on a night out on the town,guns for a year or night out. no contest really me thinks, however we do need stricter punnishments for offenders and law breakers,, sorry if this is not puntual in not the best on these things, cheers matt

so what happens to the hundreds of thousands of airguns in peoples houses will you suddely be guilty of a firearms offence if you have one in the shed you've forgotten about

The radio said an amnesty to hand in if you didnt want to apply,and i dare say it will then become an offence.Like the handgun ban very little impact will be made.

I'm in agreement with Mick on this one - a cert for them will eventually reduce the amount of nuggets with them as they wont be so redily available - eventually the supply will run out and the chav's who currently own airguns will outgrow the using them on kids/cats/ethel next door phase....

no need for it to be a nail in the coffin...

Regards,

Gixer

so what happens to the hundreds of thousands of airguns in peoples houses will you suddely be guilty of a firearms offence if you have one in the shed you've forgotten about

I guess so - yes, there will be a change over period I guess.....after that - pull thier hoodie over thier head and beat them with a length of alcothene pipe... :good:

:lol: :lol: :lol: just realised - I have one in the garage I always forget about! :oops:....

Edited by gixer1

i still think it a small price to pay for the privilege of owning weapons

Jesus. An herein lies the problem. In ten years they'll have you convinced that owning a catapult or a carving knife is a privilege too :bye2: The object isn't the problem, it's the user.Banning an object because of a minority of idiots that abuse the object is morose to say the least. Do you really think an airgun license will have a significant impact on offenses? Did the handgun ban stop gun crime? It may have reduced it slightly, if at all, but all it really achieved was to stop law abiding people from enjoying their hobby. No doubt it scored a few votes with a closed mind and kneejerk prone populace, but did it actually make society any better or safer? As usual, this will be the thin end of the wedge, the start of a total ban. I guess to some of you 'bend over and shaft me' types, the idea of yet another license that 'allows' you to do something will make you feel just a little bit important. But to anyone with half a brain they will see that this is yet more erosion of our basic rights. Who the hell has the right to tell me that because some numpty somewhere has abused the use of an object, I can no longer have, or need 'special' permission to use said object. No doubt when they do finally come and take your guns away, you'll be the first to scream and whine about how unfair it is, how you didn't see it coming. The law needs to come down on the USER, not the OBJECT. Though of course, this will be a nice little revenue raiser for the Government won't it.... :no:

Jesus. An herein lies the problem. In ten years they'll have you convinced that owning a catapult or a carving knife is a privilege too :bye2: The object isn't the problem, it's the user.Banning an object because of a minority of idiots that abuse the object is morose to say the least. Do you really think an airgun license will have a significant impact on offenses? Did the handgun ban stop gun crime? It may have reduced it slightly, if at all, but all it really achieved was to stop law abiding people from enjoying their hobby. No doubt it scored a few votes with a closed mind and kneejerk prone populace, but did it actually make society any better or safer? As usual, this will be the thin end of the wedge, the start of a total ban. I guess to some of you 'bend over and shaft me' types, the idea of yet another license that 'allows' you to do something will make you feel just a little bit important. But to anyone with half a brain they will see that this is yet more erosion of our basic rights. Who the hell has the right to tell me that because some numpty somewhere has abused the use of an object, I can no longer have, or need 'special' permission to use said object. No doubt when they do finally come and take your guns away, you'll be the first to scream and whine about how unfair it is, how you didn't see it coming. The law needs to come down on the USER, not the OBJECT. Though of course, this will be a nice little revenue raiser for the Government won't it.... :no:

Well said spot on. :good: