I Knew it.

GRamsay

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Licensing Dep'ts can't manage the workload they have now in a timely fashion - imagine the future when you will have to apply for a renewal before you've even been granted a certificate to stand a chance of getting it done in less than 12 months!!!

Another bit of restrictive law dreamed up by genius politicians currying favour and populist votes. Like the hand gun ban it will fail to do anything about what they perceive as the problem but will stop youngsters and others from taking up a sport and hobby.

If any of you guys went on some of the airgun pages or chavtastic hunting pages on facebook you would all be saying licence them some of the stuff they spout on about makes me favour the licencing......there full of dipsticks who think the correct clothing to go hunting is a footy shirt tracky bottoms and rigger boots........the places are full of idiots......anyone thats on facebook have a look.

yes chap i agree, but if they put it all up to 50 a year i still think it a small price to pay for the privilage of owning weapons, just my opinion, cheers matt

well i would not say that owning a firearm is a privilege ,but a right !.don't fall into this trap of thinking your very privileged to own or be allowed to shoot a weapon .if you have just reason to use one it's your right to have one .

No, definitely no more restrictions, we have enough all ready. What is needed is proper punishment for the yobs who are causing the trouble.

I second this, well said. No more restrictions, just tougher penalties. The well behaved majority need to stop being punished because of the minority.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with "chrisjpainter", I wouldn't mind paying £50.00 for a 5 year licence. Why not have a section 3 licence for air weapons, (which would also allow currently FAC rated air weapons), a section 2 licence for shotguns, which would also cover air weapons and a section 1 licence for rifles, pistols and revolvers etc which would also cover shotguns and air weapons. Bringing in licences for air weapons may stop the idiots getting hold of them at source but if they want one they will get it elsewhere. People who commit armed crime don't go to the Police for a licence before they commit the offence.

We all know this is a cash generating scheme, lets face it air rifles are hardly mass murder weapons... If this gets going in Scotland when would it arrive in the UK?, surely government wouldn't miss out on this cash windfall!. I was wondering when Archers would need license?, Bows create far more energy than air rifles ever could especially compound bows....only time will tell...

The problem for the enforcers of any new regulations would be the number of air weapons already out there,and how to account for them.

Maybe an amnesty , to start with? Who knows.

My ex , has a bird feeder in her garden, which regularly has visiting songbirds laying dead close by,shot with .177 pellet.

We cannot find out who's doing it, or who owns a rifle in the vicinity.

So regulation may be a good thing, but on the other hand I dislike regulation for the sake of it.

A Licence is,nt going to stop all the idiots getting there hands on a gun though, Thats the problem, If they want a gun i,m sure they,ll get one from somewhere

True, but you would be able to hold your hands up and tell all those idiots that you have a licence.

Can't be more difficult than getting a shotgun licence.

I'm not going to lobby for a licence here in England but if they wanna introduce one then so be it.

I got nothing to hide.

• 5 months later...

I think the regulation in Scotland is not a question of whether or not 'you need' or 'you want' an air rifle it is a question of the sort of society you want to live in. Personally I want to live in a society that, wherever possible, you can do what you like provided you do not hurt others. And if you do hurt someone? You are prosecuted for it. It is wrong to force the overwhelming majority to suffer because of the actions of a minority.

Nobody suggested licensing meat cleavers after that poor solider got hacked up in Whitehall did they? We accept as a society we enjoy certain freedoms and sometimes people abuse them and are punished for it. We consider it the price of freedom.

I think the regulation in Scotland is not a question of whether or not 'you need' or 'you want' an air rifle it is a question of the sort of society you want to live in. Personally I want to live in a society that, wherever possible, you can do what you like provided you do not hurt others. And if you do hurt someone? You are prosecuted for it. It is wrong to force the overwhelming majority to suffer because of the actions of a minority.

Nobody suggested licensing meat cleavers after that poor solider got hacked up in Whitehall did they? We accept as a society we enjoy certain freedoms and sometimes people abuse them and are punished for it. We consider it the price of freedom.

Well said that man :good:

Crossbows are not licensed, and can be bought for little money, and if you carry one in public, see how long it takes until

the police show up.

I don't mind either way, i feel if you have a shotgun licence, it should cover any air weapon FAC or not.

My 175lb draw weight cross bow launches a 400gr bolt at 305 fps, type that into a ft/lbs calculator.

But there's nothing much wrong with the status quo,

After all you can buy a machete from a garden centre, or a 12" long flat blade screwdriver,many things in the wrong hands

lethal weapons.Cant all be licensed can they?

fully awake thanks. It's just I happen to think that the grey area of air rifles needs tightening up. Obviously there's no statistical information as to how this will affect the grass roots of the sport and it's good that we can use Scotland as the guinea pig, but this is not an assault on those of us who shoot air rifles for good reasons. It is not a witch hunt against law abiding members of the community; it is a way of weeding out those who don't have sufficient reason to own an air rifle. With something as dangerous as an air rifle, it shouldn't be the case that anyone can own one simply to have one in the house. This is not America - thank goodness - so our ownership of guns is not guaranteed by a constitution, so if you are not a member of a club or you don't have pest control needs, why own an air rifle? 'Because I can' shouldn't be a good enough reason. This is not about revenue accumulation, it's about promoting the safety of the public. Once the complete details of how the law will be manifested are made available, then we can make more of an informed decision. Right now though, I'm saying that I agree with the principle and the reasons behind the proposed legislation. I have no friends who shoot and the friends to whom I have spoken about it are surprised and a little disconcerted when i tell them how the law works with air rifles, so I can sympathise with that side of the argument. If licensing comes in this side of the border, I will probably have to make a choice between licensing for fishing or my air rifle, but I'm happy to make that choice, because I think that anything that could cause as much damage as an air rifle can, should be under tighter regulation than it is now.

I don't know whether this will have an affect on crimes committed with air rifles. I sincerely hope it does, but it will take a long time, a lot of hard work by police and a bit of good faith from the general public. every shooting school, club and society will testify the value of the air rifle as both an enjoyable hobby and an excellent pest control weapon. The fact that they are of lower power and have far less destructive force than other types of guns will play into the shooting fraternity's hands, but the fact remains that, should I wish to, or if i wasn't paying proper attention, I could do a huge amount of damage to someone. I was taught to shoot at school and was taught gun safety first before anything else, but an eighteen year old kid on a council estate in Glasgow probably won't have had that, yet he has just as much right at the moment to own a gun, despite having no training and no reason to shoot. It's these people whose ownership is being brought into question. I know of no one, however anti shooting, even vegetarians, who doesn't respect my ownership of a gun. When not in use, it's locked away, the keys are kept in a separate room and the ammunition is not stored with the weapon. I have permission to shoot pest species on two separate farms as well as keeping the rat population down in our chicken and duck enclosure. What's wrong with all of that being required by law given the potential damage such a weapon could cause?

This is my opinion! feel free to disagree heartily, but please don't think of this as some ill-conceived notion of utopia between country folk and Townies! If it all goes pear shaped in Scotland for genuine air gun owners, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and will camp outside Westminster with other owners in protest!

If it all goes pear shaped in Scotland for genuine air gun owners, I'll be happy to admit I was wrong and will camp outside Westminster with other owners in protest! Problem is by then the damage is done and there is no chance of repeal. Far better to avoid the situation occurring in the first place

spot on