Decent free fishing spots, Derby area

955i

Wondering if some of the fishers off here can help.

I am going to be teaching my little'un to fish next year and I am looking for decent places to take him around the Derby area.

I'm not into coarse fishing anymore, so just want to take him somewhere he can do a bit of gudgeon bashing or the like as I did when I was a kid.

Anyone know of any decent stretches of canal you can fish for free?

Get on the enviroment agency web site or do a google, there are lists of free stretches of water all over uk.You'll still need a rod licence however. If i remember i think its free for kids up till a certain age or a fiver not sure but you'l find out on their web site.

Its free for him as he is only 5 (will be 6). That's why I just want a free stretch as I don't fish so not worth me shelling out for a licence for myself.

Will have a search about. Thanks

Edited by 955i

Hi mate I'm struggling to think of anywhere suitable for your little un to fish for free but have a look at the attached link at the day ticket waters they won't be very expensive for a junior ticket.

It also might be worth waiting a few months as it could be quite hard temping a few bits during the colder months and they will soon lose interest if they aren't catching nowt and have frozen feet as well.

Looking forward to taking my lad but I have a few years to wait yet.

I cut my teeth on the Trent and Mersey canal at Weston on Trent which is run by derby railway I think the junior ticket only cost £2.50 a year.

Tight lines

http://www.go-fish.co.uk/derbyshire.htm

Edited by Wiggum

if u come to burton on trent the park along stapenhill road is free water.but the canals are all burton mutal and birmingham a,a, controlled .also down newton road to the left of the old stone bridge is free as are most council owned bits off river .tight lines clakk.under 12s are free licence think u have to get one but im sure its free for the ladd

if u come to burton on trent the park along stapenhill road is free water.but the canals are all burton mutal and birmingham a,a, controlled .also down newton road to the left of the old stone bridge is free as are most council owned bits off river .tight lines clakk.under 12s are free licence think u have to get one but im sure its free for the ladd

Good fishing down near the canoe sheds (Newton road) seems like yesterday my dad was teaching me how to fish down there.

I taught my two to fish on small farmers ponds that were full of small fish with the odd bonus carp or tench, they never failed to catch and watching their faces as they reeled in the bigger ones was great, sadly neither of them went on to fish seriously but they did enjoy it as youngsters, I have fished club and open matches for many years and only gave up recently due to health problems, now I just fish from a small boat on the Norfolk broads but whenever they come to visit they always want to get the boat out and have a go, problem is they borrow all my gear so I have to sit back and watch, kids eh, anyway its best to wait till the water warms up a bit end of May into June is best, more chance of a few fish, light lines, small hooks, single maggot you cant fail. best of luck :good: Alan

I taught my two to fish on small farmers ponds that were full of small fish with the odd bonus carp or tench, they never failed to catch and watching their faces as they reeled in the bigger ones was great, sadly neither of them went on to fish seriously but they did enjoy it as youngsters, I have fished club and open matches for many years and only gave up recently due to health problems, now I just fish from a small boat on the Norfolk broads but whenever they come to visit they always want to get the boat out and have a go, problem is they borrow all my gear so I have to sit back and watch, kids eh, anyway its best to wait till the water warms up a bit end of May into June is best, more chance of a few fish, light lines, small hooks, single maggot you cant fail. best of luck :good: Alan

I always remember sticklebacking with a bamboo cane, a bit of cotton and a worm.

Seems we used to be able to do it anywhere and canal fishing was free too.

Now they are all 'owned' by fishing clubs and kids have nowhere to experience it for free anymore.

Same with trials/motocross riding, we used to ride over loads of fields anad nobody cared, then all of a sudden its not accessible any more :angry:

I remember getting banned from riding on some old ash pits near Wolverhampton and in the paper the next week it said they were using the land to train off-road motorcycle police.

My argument would have been 'we have been riding here for 5 years, if you can catch us over here you can catch anyone' LOL

Edited by 955i

Its free for him as he is only 5 (will be 6). That's why I just want a free stretch as I don't fish so not worth me shelling out for a licence for myself.

Will have a search about. Thanks

If your going to teach him then you need a licence,as soon as you hold the rod you need one????????