Miroku gun issue, help appreciated

BRNDL

Hello,

I went shooting last week, completed 100 clays and on the last stand the gun started playing up.

Loaded both barrels, released first shot and the gun kicked open around 5mill? Tried again and the same thing happened.

Decided to switch first barrel and it sorted itself out and was fine.

Completed another 100 today and the same thing has happened...and I don't want to keep switching barrel selector as I have deemed the gun unsafe and will not use it.

A friend suggested the close mechanism may need tightening up? Anyone experienced this or can advise me what to do.

If it's a simple fix I dont want to bother the gun shop with it.

Thanks in advance,

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked online and have found a few reports saying it is a barrel spring issue. The spring is worn and needs replacing.

I only bought it 2 months ago from a local gun shop, do you reckon they "should" fix it or is it all down to me from now on?

Thanks

It should have gone to a gunsmith the first time, before anything serious happened. Using it after that was risky to say the least.

Yes I realise that now Gordon. Being pretty new I didn't really grasp the danger element of what's happened.

Do you think the gun shop should take some responsibility or down to me?

It was second hand.

I'd get it back to the shop ASAP and tell whats happened and see what they say but as Gordon says its a very serious safety issue not just for you but others around you but if the worst happened you'd not be worrin about anyone else -- don't shoot it again until its sorted out mate

I'd get it back to the shop ASAP and tell whats happened and see what they say but as Gordon says its a very serious safety issue not just for you but others around you but if the worst happened you'd not be worrin about anyone else -- don't shoot it again until its sorted out mate

Thanks, it's only had 300 carts through it since purchase...so I guess it was defective from purchase.

Hopefully the shop will sort it for me.

It has been prepared for the shop, taking it Monday.

I shoot Miroku's and have done for some time and never encountered this problem.

Before taking it back you could perhaps gen up on sale of goods act and how it applies to second hand goods remaining fit for purpose. Also, did you buy the gun with your credit card?

Forewarned is forarmed and so I mention these just in case the retailer plays hardball, is really uncooperative, doesn't want to know, and says it's going to cost you a fair bit to solve the problem. You can then have a meaningful discussion about how and why you think it's his responsibility and that you may have to enter into discussions with your card provider and Trading standards. He will then understand the way ahead if he doesn't recognise his responsibilities.

I have had this on my gun, in the bottom of the action there is like a wedge that fits into the barrel lumps when closed, I had to have an over sized wedge fitted, about £100 it cost.

But I have to say I had shot many,many thousands of cartridges before this happened.

Take the fore end off and see if you can move the barrels on the action, should be no play at all (gun closed and empty of course)

Thanks chaps,

Yes it was Bamfords. I did make the purchase on my credit card so I know I have a very good angle to peruse here if needs be.

I guess the gun is dangerous and shouldn't of been sold in such condition "if" the issue is visible or noticeable.

I will bob down there Monday and let you know how I get on,

Thanks

If a spring has snapped then I don't see why the shop should have to pay for it to be repaired. If they do, kudos to them, but it's a bit like taking a car back to the garage because it's got a puncture. Just one of those things, I bet it won't cost more than £50 to fix.

On the other hand, if the action is loose on the face then they should certainly remedy it as that hasn't happened since they sold the gun and they shouldn't have sold a gun in that condition.

I mentioned by pm to BRNDL that I suspected that it's a weak top lever spring, I'm quite surprised that Gordon cannot remember Kevin Mayor with a rubber band keeping his gun shut :hmm:

In reply to Tim Kelly consumers have rights nowadays, when used guns are sold there can sometimes be problems of which the retailer is unaware of at the time of the sale.

Of course consumers have rights, but by the same token when you buy a secondhand gun, car, whatever you are buying a secondhand item, not something guaranteed by the manufacturer. Anything mechanical with break eventually and things like springs can just snap. They're consumable. That's why sidelocks have hand detatchable locks, perazzis and some berettas have removable trigger plates etc. Stuff happens and the gun shop don't have a crystal ball! If a spring snaps the day after you've bought it or ten years later it's just one of those things. If you want a guarantee, buy a new gun.

Well chaps, thanks for the help.

Reading up on your feedback, I have noticed there is slight play in the gun when it's closed. I certainly don't think the springs have snapped as the gun works, it just opens on fire like it's not tight?

Sorry for the unorthodox explanation...

Of course consumers have rights, but by the same token when you buy a secondhand gun, car, whatever you are buying a secondhand item, not something guaranteed by the manufacturer. Anything mechanical with break eventually and things like springs can just snap. They're consumable. That's why sidelocks have hand detatchable locks, perazzis and some berettas have removable trigger plates etc. Stuff happens and the gun shop don't have a crystal ball! If a spring snaps the day after you've bought it or ten years later it's just one of those things. If you want a guarantee, buy a new gun.

I recently bought a five year old shotgun from a dealer, it still has five years left of the original ten year warranty to run.

Obviously this does not apply to the Miroku owner though. Most shops offer a three month warranty period on used guns.

Edited by BlaserF3

Of course consumers have rights, but by the same token when you buy a secondhand gun, car, whatever you are buying a secondhand item, not something guaranteed by the manufacturer.

You seem to have missed the point secondhand does not mean no warranty if you bought a used car and 2 months and 2 thousand miles the gearbox or crank failed would you be happy? Most dealers offer a 3-12 month warranty on used guns and UK consumer law it is the retailer who is repsonaible NOTHING to do with the manufacturer at all under your "statutory rights" I would expect deale rto sort it or refund you.