BASC and CPSA

denniswebb

To-night was the first time i had looked at other forums and read the comments from David at Basc......I am quite shocked at the paranoria surrounding any mention of changes to improve and preserve the sport. More shocking is Basc view that no changes are necassary . I only relayed what was told to me by this gun shop owner, i never had a clue that Germany had competance tests before issueing gun licences...I have been listening to the same paranoria on the radio from shooters stateside that they don't see any reason for change necassary . I am quite surprised that David at basc has got sucked into this. It certainly damages there credability and no doubt some shooters will leave basc.....I would like to think the CPSA have a different approach to the changes that will come and lets be honest they are needed .

Some of you should reflect on what you have posted on the other forum and really consider what you post in the future, including David.

Dennis Webb

A translation of the above post :

'Dave from BASC denied all the claims I've made, making me look even more of a fool than I did previously.

So I'm now going to rant and rave, and continue to throw my toys out of the pram

You may not notice any difference'

BTW Dennis, you failed to mention Range Rovers, Gypsies, representing England, lifeboats ... are you ill ?

Haven't seen any of these comments on the issue and don't know which 'other' forum you speak of. On reading your post it would seem you want certificate/licensing regs made tougher, can't see you getting much support there. Personally I don't see that competence tests prior to the issuing of a certificate would make any difference to gun safety or lower firearm offences. There's plenty of idiots driving about on our roads, most of which managed to pass a driving test at some point. I am of the opinion that testing doesn't really work unless it's an ongoing process as otherwise it just means you were good enough on the day. What exactly are you suggesting?

The arguments has always been should BASC and the CPSA be more involved in the licencing process....Should a shooter have to take a competance test before application to the police for a gun licence. Should a part of the condition of that licence be that its compulsary to be long to one or the other National Body, a lapse in membership means that you no longer want to own a gun....It all makes common sense, if you cannot afford membership you really cannot afford to shoot.....There are still far too many guns in circulation that are being kept for reasons other than sporting....I am a beliver in if you don't use it you loose it, if that means a drop in licences then that is what it has to be.

Dennis

The arguments has always been should BASC and the CPSA be more involved in the licencing process

What arguments Dennis.?

There are still far too many guns in circulation that are being kept for reasons other than sporting....I am a beliver in if you don't use it you loose it,

Are you serious.?

Dennis, you know all that much vaunted (exclusively by you) 'illustrious past' you have in the shooting world?

Well you're ensuring that it counts for nothing whilst you make a complete **** of yourself in the eyes of anyone who ever heard the name Dennis Webb.

You and I have never met, and I don't know you - but we did have to ban you from our shooting forum for signing in under an assumed name and targeting one of our members with cheap bile, paranoia and ungentlemanly conduct. I'm seeing a habit forming here.

Get a grip man and wind your neck it.

Edited by Zapp

To-night was the first time i had looked at other forums and read the comments from David at Basc......I am quite shocked at the paranoria surrounding any mention of changes to improve and preserve the sport. More shocking is Basc view that no changes are necassary . I only relayed what was told to me by this gun shop owner, i never had a clue that Germany had competance tests before issueing gun licences...I have been listening to the same paranoria on the radio from shooters stateside that they don't see any reason for change necassary . I am quite surprised that David at basc has got sucked into this. It certainly damages there credability and no doubt some shooters will leave basc.....I would like to think the CPSA have a different approach to the changes that will come and lets be honest they are needed .

Some of you should reflect on what you have posted on the other forum and really consider what you post in the future, including David.

Dennis Webb

If the cpsa don't agree to any changes, will you be leaving them ??

Gun shop owners, they know everything .... ;)

Dennis,

You may recall in one of your earlier posts on the other thread (where I note all your posts seem to have been removed???) you said ‘ , a working party is in hand to bring in better and safer controls in the licence applications and management of the sport, I’m sure David from BASC can expand’’ , ie you asked me to comment…now you say you are surprised that I have get ‘sucked into this’ what on earth are you on about?!! Get a grip man!

I am afraid your suggestions would move shooting sports BACKWARDS and that why I would not be in favour of them, all you seem to be asking for are more restrictions, compulsory testing and compulsory membership of BASC or the CPSA.

We do NOT need compulsory testing in this country, and there is no evidence at all that it makes any difference in terms of safety. BASC’s position is best practice through self-regulation. Of course we will continue to offer a range of courses for member and non-members who want to improve their skill or learn a new form of shooting, but we would always oppose compulsory testing.

It’s a free market and people should be free to join the organisation of their choice, although I would agree that everyone should belong to one organisation or another, after all there is a wealth of choice and a massive range of prices .

Face it your proposals are a non starter,

David

'If you can not afford membership you can not afford to shoot'

So you want to make shooting the preserve of the rich or well off?. Well thanks for suggesting I be relieved of my hobby. I for one have to do my shooting on a budget. I could quite happily go to the target ground and let loose a thousand cartridges on a Saturday/Sunday morning but have no way of affording to do so. I say all this

and am not a member of either BASC or the CPSA as the cost at the moment for me is prohibitive due to the fact that I'd be paying for a lot of stuff I don't need. Really don't see that making the cost of gun ownership more expensive somehow makes it safer, if that is what your suggesting it would do. I see you giving solutions but I seem to have missed exactly what YOU think the problem is.

David i don't think you are acting in the best interest of BASC, by responding to posts on these websites.....but like some of here you we all know who you are, the rest on here hide behind silly names......I don't think that sharing in the responsibilities of the administration of the sport is moving backwards, isn't that what self regulation is really about......The shooting bodies running this sport?...That is all i am advocating, it just ain't working letting shooters do it themselves .....I don't believe that the tests in place work, we need to up our game.

amongst a small section of this sport we still have a culture in this country of gun ownership for reasons other than sporting needs, these few bad apples will spoil it for everyone.......And Lock Stock and Barrel, i was told on your website not to post in my own name, i have never done that before, but you don't follow the banter between me and Nicloa Herron, we are all good friends, its just you and your silly website that got it wrong.

Dennis

David i don't think you are acting in the best interest of BASC, by responding to posts on these websites.....but like some of here you we all know who you are, the rest on here hide behind silly names......I don't think that sharing in the responsibilities of the administration of the sport is moving backwards, isn't that what self regulation is really about......The shooting bodies running this sport?...That is all i am advocating, it just ain't working letting shooters do it themselves .....

Dennis

You haven't provided any hard evidence that anything is failing, apart from your grasp of the facts.

'If you can not afford membership you can not afford to shoot'

So you want to make shooting the preserve of the rich or well off?. Well thanks for suggesting I be relieved of my hobby. I for one have to do my shooting on a budget. I could quite happily go to the target ground and let loose a thousand cartridges on a Saturday/Sunday morning but have no way of affording to do so. I say all this

and am not a member of either BASC or the CPSA as the cost at the moment for me is prohibitive due to the fact that I'd be paying for a lot of stuff I don't need. Really don't see that making the cost of gun ownership more expensive somehow makes it safer, if that is what your suggesting it would do. I see you giving solutions but I seem to have missed exactly what YOU think the problem is.

trevor i am a full member of basc and pay by quarterly bill £17. when i have needed advice they have been very helpful and at the end of a phone,i also feel secure when out shooting knowing i have the backing of them behind me

trevor i am a full member of basc and pay by quarterly bill £17. when i have needed advice they have been very helpful and at the end of a phone,i also feel secure when out shooting knowing i have the backing of them behind me

hehehe you and someone backing up behind you hehehehehe