You gotta love these Archer NV's

grasshopper

Well it took 3 goes but i got her.

Sunday

I stopped in the farm yard to put the window rest on and placed the rifle and NV in the passenger seat.

SS100362.jpg

(Bazooka Joe product) :good:

As i pulled into the field on Sunday evening at 5 50pm i had a quick lamp and lit up a Fox.

I quickly took the beam off it although it didn't seem bothered.Farmer had been muck spreading this

field so seems this attracted Foxy.

Parked up and looked through the NV,still just going about it's business,so i not so gracefully

climbed into the passenger seat(Jimny's are small ^_^ )loaded the rifle and attached the Archer..

..nothing,it had gone and no calls would bring it back.I'll go to the other side of the wood

and try,thinks i,fog dropped and night over. :/

Monday.

This evening i am there before dark with a dead Pheasant as bait.Fogged dropped really early

and night was over before it began,fog dropped and farmer came into field muck spreading in

the dark.Started engine and switched headlights on..just as well as he never knew i was there

,text-ed his brother who hadn't told him.So i tied the bait to the fence and headed home.

Tuesday.

Today we were shooting Pheasant(good day with 57 head including 10 Woodcock)I checked my

bait and only the head was left and a strong smell of Fox.

When the shoot finished i headed to 1 of the farms and me and the farmer headed back to the

wood as a cock Pheasant was stuck up a tree.We tried in vain with some aluminium poles to

poke it down(was a laugh if nothing else,he says he'll be back in the morn with the wife and a ladder) :huh:

Got a call off the original farmer(keep up) to say he'd finished spreading the last 2 loads.

Straight home and exchanged the shotgun for the .22 250.

Set up in yard again and into the field for 5 05pm.Tied a Crow and Magpie(shot today)where the

Pheasant had been and threw the Pheasant head onto the grass.

At 5 20 i saw the Fox...in the next field heading for the farmyard so confident it would eventually be in

my field,i sat tight.

What ensued was the longest 40 mins of my life.The lasers on the Archers are a godsend at times as i picked up 2 eyes right behind the bait.Archer attached and she was in the field picking up the Pheasant head.She moved off with it but headed slightly nearer to me and then(bless her)she turned side on.Didn't need a 2nd invite and watched her drop through the scope.

SS100537_zps5dc2a71b.jpg

Pleased to get this 1 tonight as work and other commitments meant it would be Sunday before i would have the chance again.

Thanks for reading.

:good: but could have saved all that hassle and just shot it with the lamp on the Sunday night. I know NV is a good piece of kit but I prefer the lamp as NV seems very clumsy .

Not set up for solo lamping and was driving at the time with an unloaded rifle...did think that too ;)

Clumsy ? nah, just the same as using a LF scope mounted and having to attach it.Do miss seeing a Red Fox in the scope,but the results the same.

I think he made it from the frame of the old type school chairs.Just mild steel and welded.

Really comfy to shoot from.

Cheers

Started as a proto type, & worked,

didn't have to modify it, so left it the way you see it in the photo.

Could do with a lick of paint... :yes: ...

Forgot to add....A Grade working well then.... :good: ... :whistling:

Edited by Bazooka Joe

:good: but could have saved all that hassle and just shot it with the lamp on the Sunday night. I know NV is a good piece of kit but I prefer the lamp as NV seems very clumsy .

ish for sitting out NV is the doggies dangly bits, especially if you have a lampshy one about, though you never know if you have shot the shy one. They will squeak in far easier on NV and basically go about their usual activities without a care in the world. I love being out on the lamp but nv will sort the real problem ones.

Our main ground we have been cursed by someone missing a load next door and most were shy, I've just picked up the foxing on that and we have had a load straight away with the keeper. its nice when his previous guys used to turn up every 3-4 months and claim there weren't enough to make it worth while turning up more. So far we have only lamped it but even lamping if you turn the lamp off completely while you call and spot with NV you get a far more positive response. Now I've just got to work out whether I dare throw the caller out on the edge of Luton and try and call them out of the housing estate as well :whistling: though it can't be worse than thinking I might have to shoot one with the truck 15 feet from someones bathroom window at 10:30pm :innocent:

TBH mate the Archer takes seconds to fit to my scope and is a revelation as i was getting an awful lot of Lamp shy Foxes!

These Foxes will be sorted with the NV added to my shooting kit.......

ATVB.

Well done jeff still got plenty down here to go at in the new year... it will be good to compare your NV with mine and i can show you the set up i have on the motor so you can sit nice and warm while you are watching the tv screen while waiting for charlie to show...

Could do with a lick of paint... :yes: ..

Will drop if tomorrow then seeing as your offering :good:

Forgot to add....A Grade working well then.... :good: ... :whistling:

Oh yes,well pleased with it :ninja:

Well done Jeff.

At what distance was the shot mate?

Only 90yds as the bait was 120yds away and she moved closer.No idea i was lining up on her :ninja:

Nice shooting mate, Im home next Sat, been away two months and cant wait to get mine out! My Archer that is

Glad you made that clear mate :o