Shotgun misfire with one user but not another?

Glenshooter

I was shooting with my lad at the weekend using my Browning GP Sporter. We both shot around 100 cartridges. I had 4 misfires, probably 'light strikes', and he had none. (All 4 cartridges shot OK at the second attempt.)

Is it sheer coincidence that I had all 4 misfires and he had none, or is there any way it was due to me (I'm also a very infrequent shotgun shooter)?

Can't imagine it could be due to the user but intrigued enough to ask the question!

Thanks in advance.

You say probably light strikes, meaning that you didn't physically check the indentation made on the primer? If you did and confirmed a light strike which subsequently worked when tried again then it is coincidence. Not a likely scenario though, as others have said much more likely user error, you're not letting go of the trigger properly and allowing it to reset for the 2nd shot, pretty common and worse when wearing gloves.

Could be that the gun wasnt held propperly and the recoil wasnt enough to cock the second hammer as a result of the gun not recoiling firmly against the shoulder!

We have this with a 1980s 686 that's a club gun with 21g cartridges. Had so many complains 4 of us decided to try it fired 250 with no issues, one of the other turned up and every second shoot was miss fire. It was his stance worked fine most of the time with 28g but he got a bad bruise.

With regard to

We have this with a 1980s 686 that's a club gun with 21g cartridges. Had so many complains 4 of us decided to try it fired 250 with no issues, one of the other turned up and every second shoot was miss fire. It was his stance worked fine most of the time with 28g but he got a bad bruise.

Some inertia trigger guns will struggle with 21 g cartridges. Age of the gun is irrelevant . Remember that the mechanism relies on a slight jolt to reset the trigger. lighter recoil carts, recoil pads and the amount of padding on the firers shoulder can all contribute to this problem.

To the OP's question if the misfire occurs on the first shot, is it possible that you had a dodgy box of cartridges ?

Edited by Canis

my friend had to rtn a browning maxus as when he went for the second clay, it was as if somebody had applied the safety catch and the gun would not allow the trigger to be squeezed, he got is gun back the other day and the paperwork just stated repaired under warranty, so hopefully his gun will have been sorted. Don't know if this is relevent to the o/p comments but if it is similiar to mt friends then it might be worth getting it looked at.

Could be that the gun wasnt held propperly and the recoil wasnt enough to cock the second hammer as a result of the gun not recoiling firmly against the shoulder!

ill go with this theory next time your out hold it as tight as you can to your shoulder and let the gun do the work on your shoulder :good:

I have used 21g cartridges it both my Berettas (inertia triggers) with no problems at all. What can make a difference is if the shooter is 'well padded'. I had a side by side double trigger gun that worked fine for me, but a friend who is 'well padded' found that the safety automatically re-applied itself when the first barrel was fired. This was with either 24g or 28g loads in a fairly light Spanish s/s and his thumb was nowhere near the safety on firing. It would do it with me if I deliberately held the gun slightly out of my shoulder. It does show that the recoil and the distance in which it is absorbed can be a factor.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Some inertia trigger guns will struggle with 21 g cartridges. Age of the gun is irrelevant . Remember that the mechanism relies on a slight jolt to reset the trigger. lighter recoil carts, recoil pads and the amount of padding on the firers shoulder can all contribute to this problem.

As suggested, this is almost certainly an inertia block resetting problem. Often caused by a loose mount which implies a stock too short for the user or they are not mounting firmly into the shoulder.

There is a simple test.

Fire the gun both barrels as usual. When the gun does not fire second chamber, leaving it closed and holding the gun safely with the finger away from the trigger, give the butt a sharp smack with your hand or back against a wall ( observing all safety needed). Try the trigger again. If it then fires what is happening is the inertia block is not resetting for second chamber. This is a common safety feature on many guns designed to prevent double discharge. but relies on a reflected shock wave from the first shot to "bounce" back from the shooters shoulder. Light loads, loose mounts ( often from short stocks), lack of lube in the action or dirt in there can all cause this.

If this test proves its inertia blocks, a firm mount or carts with more recoil will cure the problem.