69 replies to this topic

#21 Malc

Malc
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Joined 15-April 02

Posted 28 December 2004 - 02:26 PM

My way's slightly different too. As an apprentice butcher, many moons ago, I was taught to skin rabbits brought to the shop by local keepers. Sometimes skinning 2-300 at a time, I would use a large meat cleaver for the job. The routine went like this:

Chop feet off.
Cut tail bone.
Pull socks off.
Peel skin up to the neck.
Chop head off.
Split groin and clean.
Done.

This takes about 10 seconds unless you encounter a broken leg bone when pulling the socks off, which can be very painful!

#22 Jimmywidge

Jimmywidge
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Joined 22-December 04

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:30 PM

I`m knew to hunting but want to get as involved as possiable. I`ve seen how you have skinned a rabbit and everything. But I`d like to know and sorry mate if this sounds dumb but what about removing the guts and stuff of the rabbit ?

Do ya just slit it open and pull the lot out or is there more to it then that ?

Please explain

Jimmy

#23 millo2

millo2
  • Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Joined 20-July 04

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

I tend to slice the rabbit from kinda in between the back legs upwards, then take hold of the front legs in one hand, and the back legs in the other, then quick it a short, sharp swing which normally removes them

#24 fert

fert
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Joined 16-January 05

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:03 PM

i dress same way as tiercal but skin first, gut after, me mum showed me how to do it. she was a butcher for 35 years quite handy when i come back with big bags

#25 ollie

ollie
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4841 posts
  • Joined 24-January 03

Posted 17 January 2005 - 08:25 PM

I'm same as fert skin first and gut next.

#26 tiercel

tiercel
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1560 posts
  • Joined 16-May 03

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:33 PM

Skinning first then gutting has one drawback. If the rabbit has been shot or caught with a lurcher, there is a chance that the gut has been punctured. If the gut has been punctured and the rabbit is left un gutted for any lenth of time, 10 mins is enough it leaves a taint on the meat that makes the rabbit inedable. That is why i always gut a rabbit as soon as its caught.

#27 old rooster

old rooster
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3005 posts
  • Joined 20-March 03

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:38 PM

If you are carrying a lot of rabbits about you're only too glad to get rid of the guts as soon as possible :oops:

I can carry 30 gutted rabbits with my kit but get a bit of a sweat on with many more.

#28 arjimlad

arjimlad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:36 PM

Can someone help me with what to do to get the blood out of the meat. I clean the skinned carcass under a tap but this still leaves blood.

I have tried soaking it in salty water which does draw the blood out, but the meat absorbs a lot of water.

When in a freezer bag the bones can puncture the bag and that can lead to bloody water dripping out everywhere ;) ! This is embarrassing when bringing meat into work for colleagues for example.

What's the best way of getting all the blood out & drying the meat before freezing it ?

Thanks

#29 jim_whitson

jim_whitson
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Joined 10-January 05

Posted 27 February 2005 - 07:50 PM

I'm not sure about rabbits per se, but in general you're meant to slit the
creature's throat as soon as you kill it, to drain the blood. I'd guess that
bleeding and gutting it in the feild would do the job, but others here must
know about rabbits in particular... Hope that helps. :-)

#30 arjimlad

arjimlad
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1514 posts
  • Joined 10-December 04

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:14 AM

Thanks Jim, I'll give that a go. I usually paunch the rabbit in the field.

#31 Axe

Axe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11490 posts
  • Joined 25-February 05

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:32 AM

I was taking a gander at an old cook book last night and noticed that it mentioned hanging the rabbit for 3-4 days. After reading some of the posts about gutting as quickly as possible to avoid nasty tastes etc. I assume that the hung rabbit should be gutted first.

Is it better to hang for the 3-4 days? and is there a specific way to hang?

Appologies if this sounds a daft question, but i've always been used to getting my meat on Polystyrene trays!!!!

Cheers n Beers :sly:

Axe.

#32 game_boy

game_boy
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  • Joined 31-January 05

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:59 AM

If you want to get rid of the blood try this. Once shot cut the head off and hang it off a fence to let it drain out. Then paunch it a little later on. Usually I leave the rabbits for about 10-15 minutes while I shoot some more then the organs absorb alot of the blood and the p*sh bag is easier to drain I find. Other than that I dont know what else you might do.

I only hang my rabbits over night alowing them to chill down in the shed then cut them up for the dogs the next day. Never thought that hanging would apply to rabbits just a 24 hr job if anything.

cheers,
gb.

#33 Guest_Mr Pieman_*

Guest_Mr Pieman_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:13 AM

Arjimlad,
to stop the meat being a bloody mess in the bag, why not put it in something else? :)

I put the meat on a polystyrene tray with a small absorbent mat underneath it. The mat soaks up any excess meat juices or blood, leaving the bunnies looking very edible and tidy - presentation is everything :lol:

As for the cost, its negligible, I just add 5p to the price to cover the tray and mat! :lol:

Incidentally, I sell a lot of rabbits to Blgium and they INSIST the guts are left in - if they are paunched they won't take them. I think the meat 'tainting' thing is personal preference and have never noticed any discernable difference IMHO :lol: :lol:

Cheers :)

PP

#34 Rabbitbowler

Rabbitbowler
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Joined 30-July 05

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

Do you use anything for preserving the pelt's i have allways wanted to try a fox but i thought the smell might be over powering in my shed

#35 mr fixit

mr fixit
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Joined 13-April 05

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:58 PM

ok guys answer me this one,if you prepare "A" rabbit how do you get the smell off your hands???,if you do several,why when you answer the call of nature the next day do you get a blast of "eau de rabbit guts",sorry if this upsets some of our delicate readers,but its a fact of rabbit preparation that iv'e noticed for years and and never found an answer to,cheers ,terry ??? :) :shoot: :shoot:

#36 RAMMER BURT

RAMMER BURT
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1171 posts
  • Joined 03-October 03

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:22 PM

:Das soon as i shot a rabbit out with the guts as long as the **** bag is undamaged the meat should be fine then i soak the meat in salt water over night then straight in the freezer ??? i always use latex gloves when gutting and a peg on the nose even after all this time of shooting and gutting game i cant stand the smell :)

#37 Axe

Axe
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11490 posts
  • Joined 25-February 05

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:28 PM

ok guys answer me this one,if you prepare "A" rabbit how do you get the smell off your hands???,if you do several,why when you answer the call of nature the next day do you get a blast of "eau de rabbit guts",sorry if this upsets some of our delicate readers,but its a fact of rabbit preparation that iv'e noticed for years and and never found an answer to,cheers ,terry ??? :) :shoot: :shoot:

I recently watched Saturday Morning Kitchen rather the Irish girl on after and she gave out a tip for getting rid of odours from your hands....simply rub them on a stainless steel object. It works on all sorts Garlic, Ginger, Fish, etc. so why not rabbit.

If you look in Tesco's and the like they sell hollow stainless egg's for this purpose, of course you could always use a small stainless tube or similar.

Maybe its worth a go?!

Regards,

Axe.

#38 Dunkield

Dunkield
  • Moderators
  • 23398 posts
  • Joined 09-August 05

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

I was given one of those 'magic' stainless steel bars they work a treat!

Anyone who wears contact lenses will know about the pain of putting a finger into your eye after handling chilli's even after a good scrubbing with soap. Use one of those bars and you are fine.

They sell them in most large hardware shops.

#39 johnskevena

johnskevena
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 539 posts
  • Joined 26-August 05

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:54 PM

OK, heres how you skin for keeping the pelts.

Make an incision from the end of one leg, under the ********, and up the other side.

Ease off the skin to the tail, trim the sinews back around the tail to expose the tailbone, and pull the tail from the bone as shown here between your finger and thumb.

Pull the skin back over the head

Cut off the ears at the base and peel back over the head, trimming round the eyelids, nose and lips, being careful not to cut them.

Peel away sinew from the skin (pay particular care around the hindquarters as the skin in this area is easily torn), and flesh from round the base of the ears.

Finished tanned skin. (no, the skin is from the actual bunny in the picture and not one I did earlier!!)

Brilliant post :blink:

#40 stevethevanman

stevethevanman
  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts
  • Joined 22-December 06

Posted 23 December 2006 - 03:01 PM

Hi, I think I am the newist kid on the block and as far as skinning rabbits goes I just skin them to get the meat out, I am not concerned about keeping pelts, and using special skinning methods or any thing like that. :blush:

And as far as eating cats goes, It just makes me shudder. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users