cheshire gun room

pistol paul

Hi everyone I have been air gunning for about 40 years now starting with a bsa airsporter mk1 the changers in design and products available now amaze and fascinate me also gun shops i have visited nemerous shops and some are very helpfull and others are not my favourite shop is cheshire gun room john the owner and staff cannot do enough to make you feel wecome from a coffee to trying out new products and good used air guns always a good choice and a good discount . have any of my fellow air gunners favourite gun shops and why, i travel around quite a bit so if any shops are recommended i will try and call in as i enjoy browsing different ranges of goods they all have to offer.

Hi everyone I have been air gunning for about 40 years now starting with a bsa airsporter mk1 the changers in design and products available now amaze and fascinate me also gun shops i have visited nemerous shops and some are very helpfull and others are not my favourite shop is cheshire gun room john the owner and staff cannot do enough to make you feel wecome from a coffee to trying out new products and good used air guns always a good choice and a good discount . have any of my fellow air gunners favourite gun shops and why, i travel around quite a bit so if any shops are recommended i will try and call in as i enjoy browsing different ranges of goods they all have to offer.

you sure your not one of there staff??

t j mcavoy at standish 2 mins from m6 j27,tim and his 3 daughters plus his other staff are great with customers,no hurry if you want to just browse around,good stock as well,check his website.

I bought a Hatsan off these guys and once I got home I realised it had the wrong choke key, I have phoned multiple times since and promised a call back on multiple occasions which never happened, 12 weeks on still no choke key.

I have visited Cheshire guns rooms Bolton branch on multiple occasions and they really do bend over backwards to help.

Last month I was in the market for a new Winchester SX3 And decided that my 900 quid was going to CGR, if McAvoy can't be bothered to post me out a 5 quid choke key then stuff them, I'd rather buy one off eBay than have to keep chasing them everyday. When my FAC arrives on Thursday my 600 quid will be happily spent at CGR.

I might be a fiver worse off but their poor after care has lost them over 2 grand!

Edited by grimey121uk

sorry to here that grimey,only complaint ive ever heard is too many in shop an too long to get served.

To be fair they were fantastic during the sale considering it was my first shotgun, I had plenty of questions but sadly I CBA chasing on a daily basis for a choke key and driving there will cost more in fuel than they key is worth

No I am not staff of CGR my write up is of my own experience when visiting the shop every time . i have also noted my replys to this topic and other people share my views,it is also good for all in our sport to share good and bad shops with each other, After all it our hard earned cash we are spending on our sport , To the person who said i must be the lucky one finish what you have to say.if you have had a bad experience at CGR share it with us.

I think members have already shared their experiences with the Forum. I have to say that I have used the Cheshire Gun Room, their branch at Halliwell Road Bolton and McAvoys.

In my book Tim McAvoy's is a different league above the other two - for stock, prices, knowledge and old fashioned customer service.

all the cheshire gunroom staff must have got a PC off santa claus cos there all on this thread praising the place, must of had a bad chrimbo :hmm: .not been myself but i,ve heard nothing but bad reports about the place , so dont think i,ll bother giving them a visit, my loss maybe :hmm:

all the cheshire gunroom staff must have got a PC off santa claus cos there all on this thread praising the place, must of had a bad chrimbo :hmm: .not been myself but i,ve heard nothing but bad reports about the place , so dont think i,ll bother giving them a visit, my loss maybe :hmm:

From your area you are not too far from Valley Arms in Ruthin. They are really great to deal with.

Hi Evo what a petty thing to say about staff having pcs.Dont judge a book by its cover check them out yourself then make a comment to us mature sportsmen how you found CGR, i heard some bad reports about blackpool air guns but i found them ok having purchased at least 4 guns from them in 12 months and only because CGR did not have what i wanted . Happy shooting to all

not been to either so will have to take a run out and see for myself

pistol paul ,,i was only commenting on what i have read off the mature people on here (as you said) have written about the place

regards the pc bit,,that was a joke but as you have obviously just got a pc for xmas and just joined up on PW and started to be confrontational i think i will make no further comments regarding the place

have a merry christmas and a happy new year

These threads about Cheshire Gun Rooms seem to rear their heads quite frequently on Pigeonwatch but I prefer to judge as I find rather than go by the experiences posted on Internet Forums. To be quite honest I have never been to Cheshire Gun Rooms so I can't comment on them but I regularly use their branch in Halliwell Road, Bolton, all be it mainly for ammunition. I can only speak from my own experiences and have to say that the only one time that I had grounds to complain was when I asked for a load of Small Pistol Primers and didnt realise till I got home that they had given me Magnum Primers. However, on my next visit to the shop they changed them with no hesitation or problems and were most appologetic and admitted that it was entirely their mistake. Other than that I have no reason to complain about them whatsoever. They have always been polite and helpful with me and their service has been quick and efficient. Any time that I phone up to check the availability of any particular ammunition in stock they recognise my voice and it is always first name terms, and if they are busy at the time they have always phoned me back as soon as possible afterwards. The only one thing that I will say about them is that when looking at the prices of their pre-owned guns they seem a little expencive compared to one or two other shops.

It seems to me that even though the two shops are owned by the same chap it is the staff that make all the difference to the success and (good or bad) reputation of the two shops concerned.

N.B. I am not connected to the North West Gun Centre in Bolton in any way except for being a satisfied customer and I would suggest that before anyone makes any judgements they visit the shop before they form any personal opinions on it, and do likewise with Cheshire Gun Rooms - Maybe I will have the need to visit Cheshire Gun Rooms at some time in the future and end up with having a negative opinion of it at some time in the future, who knows, but till then I will reserve my judgement!

Edited by Frenchieboy

cheshire gun room/ north west gun centre in bolton......cant speak for the shop in cheshire but had no problems with the shop in bolton....if you need to speak to anyone at either shop ask for Jonathon...cant praise him highly enough......also there is a young lady just started at the shop in bolton,she said she was learning the job and apologised for not being up to speed...so if you go to the shop have a bit of patience..........

mikky

Can't fault the guys at CGR, bought a 22rimmy &17hmr from them because of their service skills, I,m not the easiest person to please at best of times, very short tempered with customer service. Like someone said its our hard earned ca£h that theft rely on. Tried a few gun shops, Bond & Bywater in Preston, Entwistle's also in Preston & have to say the chap at Enty's needs to learn people skills, he is 1 miserable g1t.

• 4 months later...

I've been a customer of Cheshire Gun Room for a few year - since moving to the area. Until recently, I would've rated their work as very good. Had an excellent tuning job on a Remington trigger, a bit of a refurb on an old rook rifle 410, servicing on several guns and so on.

All was done to a great standard, generally slightly later than promised , but nothing to complain about.

Something must've changed with their gunsmiths though. Dropping off two guns, one for a stock alteration, and one with an ejector issue, I was told they'd be ready in two weeks. Having heard nothing 10 weeks later, and been fobbed off on the phone, I dropped in to see what the status was. I was pleasantly surprised to find both were done. Stock job was fine, and no charge for the ejector job "because we serviced it last time". Only when I got home did I find out why there was no charge - not only was the issue unresolved, but it looks like an amateur went to work on it - odd bit of filing, smothered in grease, certainly worse than the I dropped it off.

Very disappointed - both with the customer service, the outright lie that it was fixed, and the shoddy job that will no-doubt cost me to have fixed at a gunsmith I trust. They've lost a customer. And I'll be making sure I warn off my shooting pals and fellow syndicate members.