sloe gin with honey

farmers son

Sounds nice! will have to give it a go.

In my opinion it would be an equal weight of honey as it would be of sugar. I tend to keep mine on the sweat side, a common measurment is 1pound Sloes 1pound Sugar.

Funny you ask..........................

Im currently doing 2ltrs of it now......................The colour is different, more of a browny tinge to the pink tint.

A sort of "burgundy"......................ive done 1 full jar of clear honey in at the moment.....will see how it goes and may add another..

In my opinion it would be an equal weight of honey as it would be of sugar. I tend to keep mine on the sweat side, a common measurment is 1pound Sloes 1pound Sugar.

Im currently doing 2ltrs of it now......................The colour is different, more of a browny tinge to the pink tint.

A sort of "burgundy"......................ive done 1 full jar of clear honey in at the moment.....will see how it goes and may add another..

Trouble is,,,,,,you will have to wait till next season for me to tell you....................

Do you realy have to leave it that long............

Trouble is,,,,,,you will have to wait till next season for me to tell you....................

I told you TWO years :D:D:good::D

LB

I always make 2-3 bottles a year, and every year I put one bottle away to keep (untill whenever) sort of a celler collection. I have a cork kit, so I keep old clear white wine bottles, fill them with Sloe gin once its been aged for a year. Once bottled and corked, I engrave things on the bottle, and with the red sloe gin, the patterns stand out nice. I have drawn Deer and Game on them. Hmmm maybe I could sell it..

I just use a minimum of sugar/honey and when the gin is nice and red me and Mrs.Hd have a tasting evening :D and add sugar/honey a little at a time until we get the right sweetness and then leave it to mature before bottling.

I don`t think that you can stick to a recipe as it can be a bit dodgy as you may have a lot of less ripe berries or the berries may be less ripe that year and then next year it`s the reverse.

instead of using sugar i hear you can use honey instead but i can't seem a recipe anywere which uses honey so i'm struggling to find the amounts ??? so if any of you guys know please let me know ???

cheers n beers

I have just made 3 litres of sloe gin (sugar), interesting to read the views of using honey, where I live the sloes are in abundance this year, the trees I have found are just hanging with them, I was picking them by the handfull. I am also going to give sloe vodka a go! I also grow scotch bonnet chillies man these are hot) and am going to give 'chillie vodka' a go!!

I told you TWO years ????????????

LB

Mate, its lucky its lasted 3 weeks...........................I have a drink issue...............if its there........I need to drink it............and when I run out......thats when I have the issue.... ??????

So how long do you leave it for....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

It can be bottled and drank after 2 months but is very "raw" as stated its better aged (and again once you've seived it add sugar to taste and leave)

Another good tip is once youve drained/seived it refill another bottle with the sloes and top up with brandy and again add sugar and leave- very nice.

A good idea for a winter nip whilst beating etc is an equal measure of good port and brandy- very moreish though :good::lol:

i'm bottling up 7 bottles worth of sloe gin this weekend - only gonna do 3 bots of brandy though! ive been piching since mid sept every couple of weeks just to get a good idea of when to pick next year - all the "experts" reckon after the first frost, trouble is down my way the birds have already been tucking into them.

Gray

Hi,

It can be bottled and drank after 2 months but is very "raw" as stated its better aged (and again once you've seived it add sugar to taste and leave)

Another good tip is once youve drained/seived it refill another bottle with the sloes and top up with brandy and again add sugar and leave- very nice.

A good idea for a winter nip whilst beating etc is an equal measure of good port and brandy- very moreish though :good::lol:

i'm bottling up 7 bottles worth of sloe gin this weekend - only gonna do 3 bots of brandy though! ive been piching since mid sept every couple of weeks just to get a good idea of when to pick next year - all the "experts" reckon after the first frost, trouble is down my way the birds have already been tucking into them.

Gray

If you reuse the sloes with brandy, is cheap stuff ok as with gin?

• 1 month later...
Lancslad must be too embarassed to tell you, so I will. His sloe gin with honey, must have been powerfull stuff. It exploded. He cant get to the computer cos he's stuck to the floor.

I think that I'll leave him there, untill required for beating.

webber

Im going to make you lick my floor clean.............and for your info...I have posted this already...see EXPLODING SLOES...