should new years honours list be ended?

washerboy

No it shouldnt be ended, but the criteria should be changed. Years ago it reflected true achievement that bettered other peoples lives. It was a true honour and most of the recipients were fairly old. What you are seeing now is just a parody of the original idea of the honours system, It's part of a wider malaise that came in around 1997 when rubbish like 'cool brittania' was being pumped into peoples heads. A similar example is the dumbing down of the education system where very average people are walking around with their 10 A star GCSE's and believing that they have 'really achieved' when the reality is a toddler could pass half of the papers.

Sir Winston Churchill, Yes. Sir Alexandra Fleming, Yes. Sir Edmund Hillary, Yes. Sir young sportsman or musical nonentity, No.

As mentioned, it should be given to real 'heroes' and people who volunteer their services for many years. For example, a lady I knew, worked for the WRVS for 38 years, giving up all her spare time. Now that's commitment! She was nominated for an OBE, but never got recognised. And what about the disabled sportspeople who worked far harder to get to the Olympic games?

Making Wiggins a 'Sir' is, in my opinion, ridiculous. If anything, he could have got an OBE, if they felt the need to reward him.

Think it should be changed for those who truly deserve it.

Wiggins and other medel winners got their reward when they stood on the podium in front of millions being given the gold.

There are a few sports people who deserve it like Steve Redgrave five times Olympic Medel winner, a real achievement worked for over a long career.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

No it shouldnt be ended, but the criteria should be changed. Years ago it reflected true achievement that bettered other peoples lives. It was a true honour and most of the recipients were fairly old. What you are seeing now is just a parody of the original idea of the honours system, It's part of a wider malaise that came in around 1997 when rubbish like 'cool brittania' was being pumped into peoples heads. A similar example is the dumbing down of the education system where very average people are walking around with their 10 A star GCSE's and believing that they have 'really achieved' when the reality is a toddler could pass half of the papers.

Sir Winston Churchill, Yes. Sir Alexandra Fleming, Yes. Sir Edmund Hillary, Yes. Sir young sportsman or musical nonentity, No.

So why Sir Edmund and not Sir Wiggins,one got a knighthood for being the 1st to climb a mountain,the other for being a tremendous athlete,not just winning the tour de france but look at all his other achievements,a shed load of golds,world records,and other acheivments that no other british person has managed.And is also the most decorated olympian we have(along with Sir Chris)so why, as someone has posted should Sir Steve get one ,but not Sir Bradley.

Major achievements

Sources:[45][166]

[edit]Olympic Games

2000 Summer Olympics 15px-Bronze_medal_olympic.svg.png Bronze, team pursuit 2004 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_olympic.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 15px-Bronze_medal_olympic.svg.png Bronze, madison 2008 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, team pursuit 2012 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, road time trial

[edit]World Championships

1997 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 2km individual pursuit 2000 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2001 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2002 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Bronze_medal_blank.svg.png Bronze, team pursuit 2003 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2007 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, team pursuit 2008 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, Team pursuit (world record time) 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, madison (with Mark Cavendish) 2011 UCI Road World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, individual time trial

[edit]Commonwealth Games

2002 Commonwealth Games 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 1998 Commonwealth Games 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit

[edit]Road and track cycling – major achievements

2001 1st Overall Cinturón a Mallorca 1st Overall Flèche du Sud 2003 1st Stage 1 ITT Tour de l'Avenir 1st Six Days of Ghent (with Matt Gilmore) 2005 1st Stage 2 ITT Circuit de Lorraine 1st Stage 8 Tour de l'Avenir 2007 1st Prologue Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré 1st Stage 1 ITT Four Days of Dunkirk 1st Stage 4 ITT Tour du Poitou-Charentes 1st Duo Normand (with Michael Elijzen) Combativity award 20px-Jersey_red_number.svg.png Stage 6, Tour de France 2009 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Time Trial Championships 1st Overall Herald Sun Tour 1st Stage 5 ITT 1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar 1st Stage 3b ITT Three Days of De Panne 1st Beaumont Trophy 3rd Overall Tour de France 2010 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Time Trial Championships 1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar 1st Stage 1 ITT Giro d'Italia Held Maglia Rosa 20px-Jersey_pink.svg.png for Stage 1 2011 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Road Race Championships 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow-bluebar.svg.png Critérium du Dauphiné 1st Stage 4 Bayern-Rundfahrt 1st Beaumont Trophy 2nd 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png UCI Road World Championship Time Trial 3rd Overall Paris–Nice 3rd Overall Vuelta a España Held Red Jersey20px-Jersey_red.svg.png from Stage 11–15 2012 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de France 1st Stage 9 ITT & 19 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Paris–Nice 1st 20px-Jersey_green.svg.png Points classification 1st Stage 8 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de Romandie 1st Stage 1 & 5 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow-bluebar.svg.png Critérium du Dauphiné 1st Stage 4 ITT 3rd Overall Volta ao Algarve 1st Stage 5 ITT

[edit]Grand Tour general classification results timeline

Grand Tour 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 20px-Jersey_pink.svg.png Giro d'Italia 123 — — 134 71 40 — — 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de France124 WD3 23 WD 1 20px-Jersey_red.svg.png Vuelta a España — — — — — — 3

WD = Withdrew

— = Did not compete

[edit]World records and other achievements

[edit]World records

• 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:56.322, (as part of the Great Britain team), Manchester, England, 2008[50]
  • 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:55:202, (as part of the Great Britain team), Beijing, China, 2008[169]
  • 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:53:314, (as part of the Great Britain team), Beijing, China, 2008[56]

[edit]Achievements

[edit]Awards

Edited by welsh1

So why Sir Edmund and not Sir Wiggins,one got a knighthood for being the 1st to climb a mountain,the other for being a tremendous athlete,not just winning the tour de france but look at all his other achievements,a shed load of golds,world records,and other acheivments that no other british person has managed.And is also the most decorated olympian we have(along with Sir Chris)so why, as someone has posted should Sir Steve get one ,but not Sir Bradley.

Major achievements

Sources:[45][166]

[edit]Olympic Games

2000 Summer Olympics 15px-Bronze_medal_olympic.svg.png Bronze, team pursuit 2004 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_olympic.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 15px-Bronze_medal_olympic.svg.png Bronze, madison 2008 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, team pursuit 2012 Summer Olympics 15px-Gold_medal_olympic.svg.png Gold, road time trial

[edit]World Championships

1997 UCI Junior Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 2km individual pursuit 2000 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2001 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2002 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Bronze_medal_blank.svg.png Bronze, team pursuit 2003 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 2007 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, team pursuit 2008 UCI Track Cycling World Championships 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, Team pursuit (world record time) 15px-Gold_medal_blank.svg.png Gold, madison (with Mark Cavendish) 2011 UCI Road World Championships 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, individual time trial

[edit]Commonwealth Games

2002 Commonwealth Games 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, 4km individual pursuit 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit 1998 Commonwealth Games 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png Silver, team pursuit

[edit]Road and track cycling – major achievements

2001 1st Overall Cinturón a Mallorca 1st Overall Flèche du Sud 2003 1st Stage 1 ITT Tour de l'Avenir 1st Six Days of Ghent (with Matt Gilmore) 2005 1st Stage 2 ITT Circuit de Lorraine 1st Stage 8 Tour de l'Avenir 2007 1st Prologue Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré 1st Stage 1 ITT Four Days of Dunkirk 1st Stage 4 ITT Tour du Poitou-Charentes 1st Duo Normand (with Michael Elijzen) Combativity award 20px-Jersey_red_number.svg.png Stage 6, Tour de France 2009 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Time Trial Championships 1st Overall Herald Sun Tour 1st Stage 5 ITT 1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar 1st Stage 3b ITT Three Days of De Panne 1st Beaumont Trophy 3rd Overall Tour de France 2010 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Time Trial Championships 1st Stage 1 TTT Tour of Qatar 1st Stage 1 ITT Giro d'Italia Held Maglia Rosa 20px-Jersey_pink.svg.png for Stage 1 2011 1st 20px-MaillotReinoUnido.PNG British National Road Race Championships 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow-bluebar.svg.png Critérium du Dauphiné 1st Stage 4 Bayern-Rundfahrt 1st Beaumont Trophy 2nd 15px-Silver_medal_blank.svg.png UCI Road World Championship Time Trial 3rd Overall Paris–Nice 3rd Overall Vuelta a España Held Red Jersey20px-Jersey_red.svg.png from Stage 11–15 2012 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de France 1st Stage 9 ITT & 19 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Paris–Nice 1st 20px-Jersey_green.svg.png Points classification 1st Stage 8 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de Romandie 1st Stage 1 & 5 ITT 1st Overall 20px-Jersey_yellow-bluebar.svg.png Critérium du Dauphiné 1st Stage 4 ITT 3rd Overall Volta ao Algarve 1st Stage 5 ITT

[edit]Grand Tour general classification results timeline

Grand Tour 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 20px-Jersey_pink.svg.png Giro d'Italia 123 — — 134 71 40 — — 20px-Jersey_yellow.svg.png Tour de France124 WD3 23 WD 1 20px-Jersey_red.svg.png Vuelta a España — — — — — — 3

WD = Withdrew

— = Did not compete

[edit]World records and other achievements

[edit]World records

• 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:56.322, (as part of the Great Britain team), Manchester, England, 2008[50]
  • 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:55:202, (as part of the Great Britain team), Beijing, China, 2008[169]
  • 4000m Team Pursuit, 3:53:314, (as part of the Great Britain team), Beijing, China, 2008[56]

[edit]Achievements

[edit]Awards

Oh Dear!!! There is always one that cant get the gist of the post. By the way it wasn't just for climbing a mountain, it was a mountain considered impossible and many DIED trying to climb it and he too could easily have died. Do you get it now?

Oh Dear!!! There is always one that cant get the gist of the post. By the way it wasn't just for climbing a mountain, it was a mountain considered impossible and many DIED trying to climb it and he too could easily have died. Do you get it now?

I don't think you get it,the honours list is there to "honour"people who have done something extraordinary and beyond what most people would do.Sir Edmund did an amazing thing i do not dispute that,but Sir Bradley has also achieved amazing things,no doubt you will not get it as you do not recognise the sacrifice to achieve a goal,on both Sir Edmund and Sir Bradley's lives.

The first line says it all,

A knighthood is an honor for work well done.It is a reward in itself as no money or powers are attached.Here is an explanation fromhttp://www.royal.gov...ge4877.…

"A knighthood (or a damehood, its female equivalent) is one of the highest honours an individual in the United Kingdom can achieve.

While in past centuries knighthood used to be awarded solely for military merit, today it recognises significant contributions to national life.

Recipients today range from actors to scientists, and from school head teachers to industrialists.

A knighthood cannot be bought and it carries no military obligations to the Sovereign.

The Queen (or a member of the Royal Family acting on her behalf) confers knighthood in Britain, either at a public Investiture or privately.

The ceremony involves the ceremonial dubbing of the knight by The Queen, and the presentation of insignia.

By tradition, clergy receiving a knighthood are not dubbed, as the use of a sword is thought inappropriate for their calling.

Foreign citizens occasionally receive honorary knighthoods; they are not dubbed, and they do not use the style 'Sir'.

Such knighthoods are conferred by The Queen, on the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, on those who have made an important contribution to relations between their country and Britain.

I really cant see the harm in these awards as I will decide who i address as Sir ,Lady etc .

If I dont consider them worthy of the respect that the given title deserves then i will address them as a non titled/honoured person .As i say it will be MY choice not some jumped up whitehall dogsbody.

Likewise if i meet a person deserving of my respect i have no problem whatsoever in addressing them as Sir ,regardless of wether they have or havent been given an official title/award.

All about personal standards.

I really cant see the harm in these awards as I will decide who i address as Sir ,Lady etc .

If I dont consider them worthy of the respect that the given title deserves then i will address them as a non titled/honoured person .As i say it will be MY choice not some jumped up whitehall dogsbody.

Likewise if i meet a person deserving of my respect i have no problem whatsoever in addressing them as Sir ,regardless of wether they have or havent been given an official title/award.

All about personal standards.

Pity LORD Sugar wouldnt agree, everyone has to address him as Lord Sugar...

Im afraid I too cannot see why winning a gold medal gets you a knighthood, Any gold not just cycling

It still smells of cronyism,

Danny Boyle has refused any honour in the honours list this year, fair play,

Sorry but I just dont get it,

Oh and I see Cherie Blair gets a CBE for her charity work?

:shaun:

Edited by shaun4860

I don't think you get it,the honours list is there to "honour"people who have done something extraordinary and beyond what most people would do.Sir Edmund did an amazing thing i do not dispute that,but Sir Bradley has also achieved amazing things,no doubt you will not get it as you do not recognise the sacrifice to achieve a goal,on both Sir Edmund and Sir Bradley's lives.

The first line says it all,

A knighthood is an honor for work well done.It is a reward in itself as no money or powers are attached.Here is an explanation fromhttp://www.royal.gov...ge4877.…

"A knighthood (or a damehood, its female equivalent) is one of the highest honours an individual in the United Kingdom can achieve.

While in past centuries knighthood used to be awarded solely for military merit, today it recognises significant contributions to national life.

Recipients today range from actors to scientists, and from school head teachers to industrialists.

A knighthood cannot be bought and it carries no military obligations to the Sovereign.

The Queen (or a member of the Royal Family acting on her behalf) confers knighthood in Britain, either at a public Investiture or privately.

The ceremony involves the ceremonial dubbing of the knight by The Queen, and the presentation of insignia.

By tradition, clergy receiving a knighthood are not dubbed, as the use of a sword is thought inappropriate for their calling.

Foreign citizens occasionally receive honorary knighthoods; they are not dubbed, and they do not use the style 'Sir'.

Such knighthoods are conferred by The Queen, on the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, on those who have made an important contribution to relations between their country and Britain.

o.k we will beg to differ, but please explain why this phenomenon has only been in recent years (since 1997 when the world begun) i mean why isnt eric bristow sir, why isnt frank bruno sir, why isnt nigel mansell sir , why isnt Alan wells sir, and i could go on all day!!

o.k we will beg to differ, but please explain why this phenomenon has only been in recent years (since 1997 when the world begun) i mean why isnt eric bristow sir, why isnt frank bruno sir, why isnt nigel mansell sir , why isnt Alan wells sir, and i could go on all day!!

Blair started it with his cool Brittania thing,

trying to be hip and trendy toadying up to the "In people"

After reading that a guy who won a medal and rides a bike for a living has got one, should the new years honours list be knocked on the head...

I really think so

It should be full of people you never hear of, nurses, ex soldiers .fund raises..not famous people.

Semi rant over.

does some one need a cuddle????

why dont we ban everything??? plus i think wiggins wasnt famous untill he put in years and years of hard work and going without, cheers matt

the man who sweeps the streets deserves it more than these hasbeens!

An honerable profession but to get up in the morning and sweep the streets does not require the same levels of dedication and hard work that it takes to win the Tour De France.

Maybe it's because your getting old and don't like the thought of these youngsters getting knighted that's bothering you.

Harry

An honerable profession but to get up in the morning and sweep the streets does not require the same levels of dedication and hard work that it takes to win the Tour De France.

Maybe it's because your getting old and don't like the thought of these youngsters getting knighted that's bothering you.

Harry

It does if the same guy has done it all his working life

So you think everyone who works should get knighted when they retire?

No of course not,

you said it didnt require the same dedication,

I said if the guy has got up to start work at 7:30 to sweep streets all his life, it requires dedication.

As I said earlier Blair dumbed the whole honours system down trying to be cool

Digweed/Taylor, multiple world champions will never be knighted because its not cool to be a multiple world champion in shooting or darts, yet I would say both require enormous amounts of dedication to continue at the top for so many years.

As an addage, Mansell/Hill/Hamilton/Button all became world champions, all required skill dedication and lots of hard work....none of them knighted because its not cool, along with Adrian Newey (designed many many title winning race cars), no mention of him, still requires skill and dedication, the list goes on and on but they are not cool.....

Olympians are seen to be cool

Edited by shaun4860

No of course not,

you said it didnt require the same dedication,

I said if the guy has got up to start work at 7:30 to sweep streets all his life, it requires dedication.

As I said earlier Blair dumbed the whole honours system down trying to be cool

Digweed/Taylor, multiple world champions will never be knighted because its not cool to be a multiple world champion in shooting or darts, yet I would say both require enormous amounts of dedication to continue at the top for so many years.

As an addage, Mansell/Hill/Hamilton/Button all became world champions, all required skill dedication and lots of hard work....none of them knighted because its not cool, along with Adrian Newey (designed many many title winning race cars), no mention of him, still requires skill and dedication, the list goes on and on but they are not cool.....

Olympians are seen to be cool

Adrian Newey got an OBE in last year's list I think???

Ross Brawn got one in 2010???

Edited to add:

Damon Hill OBE

Nigel Mansell CBE

Not knighted but still recognised...

Edited by Paul T