Advice on stop whistle

Grundog

Hi all I have a 2 year old lab my first gun dog I've taken him to a trainer that showed me when he was younger and I've read the books but I just can't seem to get him to stop whistle he just recalls on it but walking to heel does it no problem just out in field I've tried everything and its just not happening

Does he stop 100% on the whistle at heel? Have you introduced the hand signal also whilst walking at heel? If not start doing this too. Also, when walking at heel off the lead and you blow the stop whistle, can you carry on walking and the dog stop where it is. Once all this is in place sit the dog and walk about 20 yards. Recall the dog in and before it gets up speed blow the stop whistle and give the hand signal. If it doesn't stop, start to walk in with your hand signal in place. Put the dog back on the exact spot where you First blew the stop whistle and blow it again and give the sit command to reinforce it. Always make sure the dog goes back to the spot every time it doesn't stop. When it does make sure you praise the dog (either go to it or throw a dummy).

Hope this helps, I'm sure others will have ideas how to go about it too.

Yeah labstaff on and off the lead walking to heel ill blow stop whistle with a hand signal he sit instantly also if I sit him at 50 yards recall then stop he does but as soon as he's out working in the field and I blow he just doesn't respond or recalls so I'm at a stage that I can't give direction properly unless he comes back then I can send him in that direction thanks guys for replies

this is all normal, the dog is a simple creature. Sitting at heel is what its trying to do and you trained it to do it, in the dogs eyes you not it are breaking all the rules. You need to try a few drills, even then expect to change them. To explain I started my present pup on the idea by giving the stop hand signal and whistle when he had finished his morning wander yet was an easy distance from me, failure or walking in lead to a repeat till he performed correctly twice or 20 times he would be lead back to the exact spot (normally looking puzzled). Immediately he did as told when told he was sent off sprinting to his kennel for feeding on prompting me by sitting a distance away with a pleading look the drill changed (dog is now trying to train me). progressed to stopping him by being in his way on route to the kennel on command (intersecting mid point), then stopping him from behind, then dropping him right at the food bowl. Still couldn't stop him on sending out on a retrieve till I enlisted the help of my eldest that is. Sat at heel she walked out 100yds and threw a marked dummy. 1st time dog carried on ignoring the whistle so she dived on the dummy before he could get there, 2nd time he stopped and looked back - immediately I threw a second which I let him run in on via commanding him while it was mid flight. Now again if it took 20 goes I should still carry on till the penny dropped, I was just plain lucky! Remember though without rewarding the behaviour you will find things a slog and don't let the dog train you, in the last dummy reward session the dog got no 2nd dummy or stop given if he looked back expecting a stop ( I hate hesitant or non confident dogs and too much stopping knocks all the zip out of them). The last dog I trained I used different drills as they worked better for him, there is no magic method no one size fits all IMO. Some need a good roasting and others fall to bits if you raise your tone too much. By the way set your goals on the stop, nothing is more annoying than a dog that needs directing to the fall of every darn thing, we use them to find and retrieve stuff- if I knew so darn much of were the game had fallen I shouldn't need a dog at the end of the day I could go and get it myself. you want a dog that will hunt hard with its nose not keep looking back to you for advice

Thanks for the reply Kent ill give it a try its not so much giving direction as you say just to get him so stop on command instead of running on to other people's retrieves as well thanks again ill try this in the morning

Mmm, if that your issue is it not a running in cure you require? The dog shouldn't be going without being sent, if its switching retrieves again the stop is only a sticking plaster. I know the general opinion is the stop is" the kingpin of training" but I don't 100% fully agree with that statement personally, important yes non the less it shouldn't be a cure all

Mmm, if that your issue is it not a running in cure you require? The dog shouldn't be going without being sent, if its switching retrieves again the stop is only a sticking plaster. I know the general opinion is the stop is" the kingpin of training" but I don't 100% fully agree with that statement personally, important yes non the less it shouldn't be a cure all

This is a little different from your original post. I think it`s` back to basics and you have everything in place before you take him out again.Sounds like a running in problem, which has already been mentioned by Kent