Mossberg 500AG with C-lect Choke

thepasty

Hey guys

My shotgun variation came through this morning so off I headed to Ladd's Guns as they had a few pump actions in my price range (sub £200), I shot a couple and came away with a Mossberg 500 as I blatted every clay thrown my way with it.

I usually do a load of research before buying anything but this time I through caution to the wind and took a punt as the gun fitted well, wasnt expensive and I was clearly able to hit stuff with it, I've now done some reading etc and see that the C-lect choke system is either liked or loathed, some dont have an issue with it but some complain of poor patterns.

Do you guys have any experience of this choke system?

Also any experience of the gun generally? anything I should watch out for?

On another note I cant praise Ladd's Guns highly enough, even though I wasnt spending a lot of money I was given all the help I asked for and more, the service was great with a large selection of guns to fondle ranging from dirt cheap hack guns to lovely expensive luxury.

Cheers

Steve

a pic of the old girl...

P1020281.JPG

Edited by thepasty

Steve,

That looks very nice and in *my* price range, to boot.

I'm looking for a Mossberg of some sort, myself, merely because I haven't *got* one and would've happily bought that one.

As far as patterning, I've only ever shot two patterns - both buckshot and they were *huge*. That's what you get for shootin' buck through a dedicated slug barrel... :)

Have fun with your new "toy" (an' Happy New Year to y'all).

Regards,

Mark.

Hi Mark

I've done a load more reading regarding the c-lect chock system and similar systems that were common on older single barrel shotguns, I've happily come to the conclusion that they are no better or worse than the current industry standard chokes in terms of pattern but they do have some draw backs like being unable to handle steel shot.

It would seem the main reason they lost favour was down to looks and I have to admit it isnt pretty sat on the end of the barrel... having said that, as a gun I quite like its no fuss "I have a job to do" look.

The AG model that I have was sold as a turkey gun in the states, "A" meaning 12g and "G" meaning Gamster.

Its in pretty good nick for a gun made in 1984 (and not being the type of gun someone would look after particularly well), the only rough part on it is in one area theres a little corosion and a few pits on the barrel, to make that worse someone has added some scratches to the area by using something abrasive to remove said corrosion.... Oh well, atleast I wont be that bothered when I add my own dings and scratches :)

With a 12 month warranty it cost me £190

It would seem the main reason they lost favour was down to looks and I have to admit it isnt pretty sat on the end of the barrel... having said that, as a gun I quite like its no fuss "I have a job to do" look.

Same here. I have an early-fifties Higgins M20 with a "PowerPac" choke. Now *that* looks a bit "business-like".

Its in pretty good nick for a gun made in 1984

I rather like older guns. All of mine are at least as old as yours 'cept for one and *that's* a reproduction Winchester 1887 so it *sort* of qualifies as "old".

With a 12 month warranty it cost me £190

Now that's a *nice* price. So far, I've only ever bought one gun "sight unseen" and, with hindsight, I may well have passed it over a waited for a better example. Even so, I'm not *unhappy* with it. (Although I haven't actually used it "in anger", as it were, but only enough to know that it *does* work...)

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

If you're looking for an older Mossberg Mark Ladds Guns had another 500 (I think) they were selling for a customer at £195, looked similar to mine above but with choke tubes and 3 shot section 2. But as it was being sold for a customer he couldnt warranty it but said it was sound.

Ladds Guns had another 500 (I think) they were selling for a customer at £195

Thanks, Steve.

One thing I vaguely remember reading about the 500 is that it doesn't allow easy barrel removal, or somesuch, whereas the 590 was more like my 870 or M37 in that respect.

I shall certainly keep my eyes open for something "special" or "interesting". I'd also like an 1897 clone to go with my 1887 clone. I shall bide my time. (Why is it that guns you'd like to buy are always in a *different* part of the country?)

Regards,

Mark.

Living near Lands End I'm used to travelling miles to get anything, it was a 250mile round trip to Ladd's Guns!!

Barrel removal couldnt be easier on my 500, undo the finger tight retainer in the end of the mag tube and the barrel is off in seconds.

Edited by thepasty

Barrel removal couldnt be easier on my 500, undo the finger tight retainer in the end of the mag tube and the barrel is off in seconds.

Ah, I must've been mistaken. If it's like the 870, you just take the mag nut off and pull off the barrel. (The M37 is even better since the mag nut is retained.)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Perhaps it was mag *extensions* that are difficult to do. If that's the case, I don't care 'cos I'm looking for a Section.2 gun anyway.

Welcome to the club, I have a Mossberg 500 but in 20g multi choke and its great, works every time and i s great fun to shoot and despite it being a bit shot i love it and shoot alright with it ! I have no experience of the choke system but the fact you get on with it and hit well with it should be all that matters, the Mossberg 500`s are built really well and I cant see me ever getting rid of mine !

28 gram 7`s over decoys, 28gram 6`s roost shooting or genal rough and 28gram 8`s for clays ! On the occasion the Mrs has a go she uses 24gram sub sonics (a bit pricey) but no kick at all really and she hits with them too.

ATB

Matt

cheers for the info guys... tis good to know I havent baught a duffer :)

I got a slab of 30g 5's with it, not knowing that much about them I asked for something a bit general purpose but mainly for sorting out the crows around the farm and a bit of pigeon.

Mark, from the manual the mag tube just screws out, cant be that hard surely?! I did read something about the mag slider thingy (excuse the lack of gun terminology :)) needing to be pried out slowly from different angles which did sound a bit tricky.... but unless I get an issue with it the mag tube and all its gubbins can stay right where it is :D

from the manual the mag tube just screws out

Usually, for PSG, mags are *extended* rather than being *replaced*. However, I have no experience of these procedures because I've not had to do it.

By the way, I took a look at the Ladd's 500 but it had a long barrel (I like 24" or shorter) and was Section.1 so it'd have to be restricted. (Last time I had a gun changed from S.1 to S.2, it cost me fifty squid.)

Regards,

Mark.