Driven day advice

Casey1875

Take a flask and sarnie unless 'tiffin' is laid on.

If you're taking a dog keep it under control at all times.

If you can get hold of a cartridge bag then do so;pockets filled with cartridges are cumbersome and you can guarantee you'll empty a pocket if there are any fences or other obstacles to negotiate.You REALLY don't want to run out of cartridges;take more than you need.

Just enjoy yourself;when it's all over you'll wonder what on earth you were worried about,and probably itching to do it all over again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On our small DIY shoot we wear what we like, we all wear a tie and dress smart, a camo jacket is fine and worn by a couple of guns, but they still have a tie and breeks.

On a paid day I like to put on my best shooting clothes its all part of the day and feeling better than everyone I can't help that I just look so hot. Or as my kids say so ****.

lol I suppose you guys are right and the clothing is more of a getting your best cloths on for the day out than anything, A bit like getting the best shirt on for pulling the ladies at the local boozer lol.

Where has the "all the bankers shoot and make themselves feel better than everyone else...." Come from?? I can only assume you haven't been on a decent driven day; I'm not big into it but am lucky enough to get taken on one or two great days and the mix of people there is as diverse as at the clay ground. Just because they are spending £1200 notes a day won't mean they are all cigar chewing ponces :-) met some super blokes one way or another, irrespective of where they come from or what they do.

Personally I quite like the getting dressed up half smart for it, makes a pleasant change. Plus I look infinitely better than the grubby chaps with the dogs..... ;-)

Edited by EdSolomons

I shoot a small syndicate of working class blokes and no you would not be welcome with that attitude

Why wouldn't I be welcome my friend? I own a nice o/u with gold inlay of pheasants, woodcock and mallard. I also have a couple of barbour shirts and jackets that jack sugden give me. Yet I wouldn't be welcome because I voice my opinion on a forum for discussion that I don't see the point in tweed etc! Do you guys wears driving gloves in your bentleys?

Where has the "all the bankers shoot and make themselves feel better than everyone else...." Come from?? I can only assume you haven't been on a decent driven day; I'm not big into it but am lucky enough to get taken on one or two great days and the mix of people there is as diverse as at the clay ground. Just because they are spending £1200 notes a day won't mean they are all cigar chewing ponces :-) met some super blokes one way or another, irrespective of where they come from or what they do.

Personally I quite like the getting dressed up half smart for it, makes a pleasant change. Plus I look infinitely better than the grubby chaps with the dogs..... ;-)

£1200 notes a day ? Surely they would call it pounds and not notes you common man you ! tut tut Would an Armani suit be welcome on a driven day instead of tweed etc ?

It's the fact that you don't see the tradition and want to have it your way rather than conform with what is expected

I'm a working bloke like the rest of my syndicate but we all try our best to look the part when shooting together .We don't all wear tweeds but a respectable coat and tie and respect what we are doing

I've read lots of your post on this and another forum.You are a young man and quite a novice. Gain some knowledge of the sport before you come on here and pontificate

The recipe for you first pheasant sounded good by the way

Why don't you guys upload a photo of yourselves in the fine clothing for me to see what I'm missing, I think my local shops etc would kill themselves with laughter if they spotted me with the socks up over my knee and climbing out of my rusty fiesta lol. Each to their own but honestly I'll stick to the pigeons and guessing that is why most people joined the forum in the first place and goodluck with your first shoot mate and as it's something different I'm sure you'll enjoy it but don't forget your shooting roots ;)

correct clothing for shooting a bird that gets bred to be shot then sent to a awaiting firing line of shooters?

I honestly think the whole tweed and moleskin trend is a load of rubbish as is the no semi rule. Just because generally most of these shoots are on fancy estates that all the big banks go on and to dress up in upper class clothing makes them feel better than the average joe. I for one would not take part on one of those shoots but if it wear a smaller syndicate that didn't mind what I wore then I would be happy to support it. Would you be allowed to use a camo perazzi sbs?

ok so you've shot one pheasant from what I gather from your posts yet you are now an expert and rubbish the vast majority of driven days. I'd suggest you need to get out more and learn more. Have a look in the photos section on here there are plenty from a shoot with a fair number of PW members on I'd suggest that most aren't bankers, most dress up for the occasion and none use semi autos.

I beat on one shoot where its mostly old money and the guns make a certain effort, certain because some of the clothes look like hand me downs from about 4 generations as do some of the guns but hey ho when your distant ancestor buys a set of Boss shotguns they tend to last. The beaters are there because they enjoy it, most dress better than the guns all enjoy a days sport, Most beaters shoot on smaller syndicates or buy days and come from all walks of life its so far from your prejudiced view its ridiculous and because its that little bit special no one wants it to descent into camo and semi autos.

correct clothing for shooting a bird that gets bred to be shot then sent to a awaiting firing line of shooters?

I honestly think the whole tweed and moleskin trend is a load of rubbish as is the no semi rule. Just because generally most of these shoots are on fancy estates that all the big banks go on and to dress up in upper class clothing makes them feel better than the average joe. I for one would not take part on one of those shoots but if it wear a smaller syndicate that didn't mind what I wore then I would be happy to support it. Would you be allowed to use a camo perazzi sbs?

With an attitude like yours mate you wouldn't be welcome on many shoots! Its all about etiquette, and wearing what is appropriate, (just like you do when pigeon shooting) nothing to do with money. The semi auto rule is all about safety and other shooters being able to see your gun is safe ie open. Stick to pigeons and you'll be fine.

i beat on a local estate and it was the owners day....

At the end of the day he came round and personally thanked each member of the team..from the game carrier to each beater....I was stood next to his son in law and he had more £££ in tweed on than I earn a month..but he was chatty and we had a laugh together.....

Its not about what you wear etc on a pheasant shoot..its the company and the safety on the day....

With an attitude like yours mate you wouldn't be welcome on many shoots! Its all about etiquette, and wearing what is appropriate, (just like you do when pigeon shooting) nothing to do with money. The semi auto rule is all about safety and other shooters being able to see your gun is safe ie open. Stick to pigeons and you'll be fine.

its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY thats why you only see posh range rovers and top end motors there blokes with 5 grand + guns and 250 quid wellys its 100 per cent about money and fitting in with that social side of things iv bin on 3 invites now and they have all bin like this people with money and normal people who wish they had same life style of the rich lot

and 1 more thing about the semi rule about it being safe what a load of **** how many people have have bin shot on driven days in last year round country lots at lest 3 incidents in Yorkshire alone its the muppets with gun not the guns fault its all about so called etiquette, i call it poshness give me pigeon shooting or foxing any day you 10 bob millionaires

Edited by swiss.tony

its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY that why you only see posh range rovers and top end motors there blokes with 5 grand + guns and 250 quid wellys its 100 per cent about money and fitting in with that social side of things iv bin on 3 invites now and they have all bin like this people with money and normal people who wish they had same life style of the rich lot

so 3 days you know everything about driven shooting.....

our little syndicate couldn't be further from that socio economic group you are stereotyping. Yes we have a few farmers but they are only so well heeled, and syndicates like it exist all over the country. Cost this year was £250 and I haven't yet got a range rover Yes there are a few shoots that tailor mostly to the banker ******* but a lot of them have gone bust recently.

Edited by al4x

so 3 days you know everything about driven shooting.....

our little syndicate couldn't be further from that socio economic group you are stereotyping. Yes we have a few farmers but they are only so well heeled, and syndicates like it exist all over the country. Cost this year was £250 and I haven't yet got a range rover Yes there are a few shoots that tailor mostly to the banker ******* but a lot of them have gone bust recently.

3 days were enough for me im not posh and Evan if i had cash to waste on shooting them birds i would not

we aren't posh its a bit like me saying everyone from Doncaster are ******, I'm sure some are but most aren't its similar with driven shooting find the right syndicate and its great. The sport is one thing the social side another yes ours gets a bit rowdy at the end and its probably good for my liver we don't have that many dinners afterwards but its about the whole day. We beat for some well heeled people but very few who you wouldn't want to talk to

This thread is developing into something similar to the hunting debate of a few years ago. I watched a 2 hour debate on the TV just before the ban and the antis started with cruelty and other arguments about harming the fox but after 2 hours it condensed into a debate of the upper classes riding out devil-may-care accross the country side. It was no more than jealousy on their behalf and they didn`t` want to listen to the ordinary bloke who enjoyed following the hounds on foot. Jealousy is a terrible thing. I own a 5 grand plus gun and I`m a retired carpet fitter my mate owns a 10 grand plus gun and he`s a painter and decorator. We both built up to those guns over a good many years. I shoot clays with it, pigeons,vermin, game and I wildfowl with it. This sport has become my way of life over the past years. I`ve met royalty when picking up but enjoy more than anything our beat 1 stand one syndicate that costs us £400 each. Lets all enjoy the sport but don`t` knock what you haven`t` really tried.

Wow. All the guy asked for was a bit of guidance. I'm not sure arguing about the rights and wrongs of certain traditions is guidance. Seems most of the people who don't like the etiquette don't want to be there anyway so why does it matter to them? I'm no expert on driven shooting but have been on a few beaters days. I dressed smartly, took an OU and had a mental block on shooting pheasants. I'm a bit of a believer in being respectful to peoples viewpoints even if I don't think they make a lot of sense sometimes. If you are not happy with it - don't go. Driven game has a certain tradition which people want to keep alive. What is wrong with that?

Hello all,

I think that some young ones are missing the big point...like a elephant pi**ing on your nose,

ITS NOT ABOUT THE MONEY NOR THE PEOPLE.....its about keeping a tradition, when you go out shooting its nice to look and see people well dressed, it dosen't matter if the trousers and jacket are made from girl fluff or whats over, you can buy a nice pair of moleskin trousers and a shirt with tie for less than £60, I know its a lot of money for some but think what you spend on one saturday night.

Stupid example....at a funeral would you go in a white suit and a rainbow wig???.....NO you wouldn't, because there is a tradition, that your parents...grandparents and so on should have past on...a black suit or dark clothes to pay your respect. Its the same for shooting, its just a different form of respect.

The people here that they say...I don't do and don'r want to do because of the posh nobs, does that means you are limiting yourself to go out in certain places???...non shooting occasions? I don't think so

Knowone here its saying that you have to behave differently or else, just use courtesy...a smile...a please and a thank you, that should put you in a great position in life and in the shooting world.

Mark

I think Mr Rizzini is having a wind up and in fact he shoots in an immaculate three piece plus four suit, carrying a side by side from a famous London maker. I am a member of a shooting club with its own pheasant shoot where members can turn up in any form of dress from boiler suits to tweeds. Recently I have been fortunate to have three invites to proper driven days on a very good pheasant shoot. It would be an insult to my host , who was paying £30 a bird, an insult to the keeper, beaters and pickers up to turn up to an event such as this in jeans and leather jacket sporting a ten shot pump action. It is tradition as a Gun to appear suitably clothed and armed for the occasion, one which I am glad to be part off.

Blackpowder

After reading through the last 3 pages my advice would be do not go to the shoot with any preconceptions based on some of the less positive posts; make your own mind up. I have been fortunate enough to be involved with a couple of syndicates over the years where there is not a single soul that you would avoid talking to and having a joke with over lunch. Everyone there has (had) worked hard all the year to pay for their place on the shoot and so dressing for the occasion to make it a bit more special is only right in my opinion. Dressing up for it only needs to be a set of moleskins, shirt and tie at this particular level but isn't limited to that as some prefer the tweed route.

Game shooting isn't just about standing in a field with thousands of pounds worth of tweed on and piling up as many dead pheasants as possible (as it would appear that some people may think). It is the whole experience that makes the day. There is a certain etiquette involved, and I think there should be, but at local syndicate level this is all aimed at getting maximum enjoyment and not a competition to see who can spend the most money.

Just take the positive advice given above on clothing and etiquette and above all enjoy the day. If you have been invited to the right type of shoot (in my opinion), you will have an absolutely great day. The fact that you asked how you should conduct yourself beforehand rather than just turning up and expecting others to just deal with it suggests to me that you will fit in perfectly well and have nothing to worry about as help will most likely be offered to you on the day should you need it.

Mr Rizzini is not having a laugh. He knows no better and his strong opinions count for less due to his lack of experience.

Swiss Tony has experienced driven days and out of genuinely held convictions does not like the codes which go with most driven shooting.

I know who I would rather invite out pigeon shooting out of the two of them.

its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY thats why you only see posh range rovers and top end motors there blokes with 5 grand + guns and 250 quid wellys its 100 per cent about money and fitting in with that social side of things iv bin on 3 invites now and they have all bin like this people with money and normal people who wish they had same life style of the rich lot

and 1 more thing about the semi rule about it being safe what a load of **** how many people have have bin shot on driven days in last year round country lots at lest 3 incidents in Yorkshire alone its the muppets with gun not the guns fault its all about so called etiquette, i call it poshness give me pigeon shooting or foxing any day you 10 bob millionaires

I don't cosider myself Posh, don't drive a Rangerover Sport (garish things), much prefer my Defender County, My Purdey is 80 years old (bought new by my grandfather) I have never paid more than a £1000 for a days shooting and whats more I have on occasions shot with pigeon shooters and from a distance you can't tell the difference!

I don't cosider myself Posh, don't drive a Rangerover Sport (garish things), much prefer my Defender County, My Purdey is 80 years old (bought new by my grandfather) I have never paid more than a £1000 for a days shooting and whats more I have on occasions shot with pigeon shooters and from a distance you can't tell the difference!

To be fair, you started off quite well, tailed off a little with mention of the Purdey...and totally blew it with the price. Good try though!! ;)