Spaniels

thinxs

Just a few generalisations I think

I see no need for a pointer when working on a driven grouse moor.

I find a labrador can be perfectly suitable as a beating dog on both grouse & pheasant.

Cockers make great picking up dogs, particularly on grouse.

It can just depend on the dog, they're all wired different.

On the main subject, I'd never have anything other than a labrador, cocker & springer. I've no use for a pointer as I don't own the ground to run one on.

I fly Falcons my friend so I'm not talking about driven Grouse.

As I said, " if I wanted a dog for the moors"

I have picked up on on grouse moors, my lab's do the job very well, but my springer found it very hard work working threw and over the heather.

You get the dog that fits the job is what I am saying, and yes we are generalising as only the OP will know the land he shoots over and the best dog for the job.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Thanks for your responces.

I'm still interested to know if the 'field spaniel' is a seperate breed altogether and wether it is in the uk. I did suspect as suggested that if the boykin was over here it would be dearer.

When I looked at the sussex spaniel website, it says they can be prone to howling early in mornings and a bit 'barky' shame as they looked quiet nice.

Are there any other small to mid sized breeds that I could consider?

How would you descibe the colour rowan? is it a sort of mottled washed out main colour? Say black becomming grey and liver becomming more dark tan?

Thanks for your responces.

I'm still interested to know if the 'field spaniel' is a seperate breed altogether and wether it is in the uk. I did suspect as suggested that if the boykin was over here it would be dearer.

When I looked at the sussex spaniel website, it says they can be prone to howling early in mornings and a bit 'barky' shame as they looked quiet nice.

Are there any other small to mid sized breeds that I could consider?

How would you descibe the colour rowan? is it a sort of mottled washed out main colour? Say black becomming grey and liver becomming more dark tan?

Cant really understand why you are so bothered about the colour of the dog you get., has it got to match your carpets or some thing?

A good dog is never a bad colour.

Its the breeding I would be more concerned over.

Edited by Actionpigeons

Cant really understand why you are so bothered about the colour of the dog you get., has it got to match your carpets or some thing?

A good dog is never a bad colour.

Its the breeding I would be more concerned over.

What makes good breeding?

The name? The breeders? The parents work?

I take my cocker out with my rifle and she walks to heel all the way, picks up when told and generally behaves well, BUT she constantly looks like she's about to explode - shaking, muscles twitching, tense and too eager to get on - it's exhausting to watch, plus she can creep forward at times (as said) when told to wait but I wouldn't want to swap her for a lab.

Thinxs

You are looking at minority breeds in Sussex and field spaniels.I've never seen one other than the show ring

Reading the blurb on their website they will tell you the moon is made of green cheese.They will say how the breed came about ,give a description of how it's progressed etc. This is all theory not practise

There are reasons why Labs,Springers and Cockers are the most common dogs used for shooting because they are the best by a country mile

A liver Cocker would tick all your boxes

I've no more to say

What makes good breeding?

The name? The breeders? The parents work?

Those are very good questions and the answer is "depends on what your after" and that's not meant as a joke. A breeder should have a clear idea of what they are trying to get out of a mating so ask without prompting as it speaks volumes - Many will just say " its the best stud dog in the country", "having a litter steadies a bitch up", " there are x number of FTCH in the pedigree" these are all stuff I should leave and have been told myself. The breeder should always have a purpose in mind for what has been created, if it matches yours and you like what you see buy if not say no thanks

Ha Ha, not got to match the carpet, was thinking the mud wouldn't show up so much!!!

No, I know that the breeding is the most important factor, but I just do prefer the look of the liver colour.

My springer who is mainly white is clean within about 2 hours of getting home, when the mud dries it falls off quite quickly.