What a start to 2013

sricketts8

Well seeing as last night was looking like the last real chance of a flight under the moon me, dad and younger brother decided we'd give it ago, especially as we're away for the January moon it was the last chance we'd get to do a moon flight on frampton on Severn. With the moon due to rise about 9 we arrived at the marsh for 8:30 giving plenty of time to set up. After a quick chat and loading up with kit we all set off for our chosen spots, dad chose to head for the ditch taking up position just up from the river it's self, with me and younger brother heading for the splashes. By the time we arrived at our chosen spot the moon had started to rise above the village and cast a dull light out across the marsh. There wasn't much in the way of cloud and the stars were twinkling so I knew that until the cloud that was forecast arrived the shooting would be difficult. Not long after we set the decoys and retreated back the the waters edge teal started to move and wigeon could be heard out on the river, all remained unseen against the inky black sky, apart from the odd bird that would cross the glare of the moon for a split second. After about an hour and several cups of tea from the all important flask ( more important than the gun it's self on some flights ) a bunch of about 15 wigeon crossed the decoys and disappeared into the night, a quick whistle and a few seconds later the bunched appeared about 45 yards out, I had time for one shot, so I had to make it count. Lucky I had my eye in and a squeeze of the trigger had one bird tumbling into the splash, dog was out like a rocket and back just as quick with a plump little hen wigeon, it's been a bit of a lean season so far and judging by the wagging of the tail the dog enjoyed the shot more than me. I had just put the wigeon in the bag and poured a swigg of tea when I heard the sound I'd been hoping to hear all season and the main reason for going down, Whitefronts, judging by calls they weren't that far into the trust so fingers crossed the might put in an appearance. For a little while it was all pretty active with Greys, Canada's and the odd Whitefront calling out, pintail could also be heard from time to time but not a lot really moving, which surprised me a little as the weather been fairly rough over this last moon and this was the first night the wind had dropped and no rain was forecast. Well for the next two hours all went dead no geese calling no, wigeon wistling and no teal zipping through. About 1am dad had made his way over from the ditch, he to had heard a fair bit early on but had seen very little, although while walking over a greylag did fly the sea wall about 100 yards away and one little lot of Canada's had crept in onto the splash but to far down to get a crack at. After a quick chat about what we heard where we heard it and would anything else move, we decided to have one quick swigg of tea and knock it in the head. With decoys in the bag, guns in the slips we were just about to set off when dad gave the shout of Whitefronts, this time though they were on the move. With panick setting in we had just managed to drop the bags and get the guns out when this time we all heard them, and by now they had crossed the ditch and were some where out in front. Fumbling for some shells I had managed the get one in the barrel when the younger brother panick strickend, cried, there out in front and coming straight at us. This is it I thought, this has been 8 years of countless hours spent under the moon waiting for them with no reward, I had just enough time to get one more shell in and then I clocked um, a pair, well up getting on for maximum range. One of them headed to my left hand side I new he was heading for dad so left it but the other held his line and came plumb over top, not wanting to miss I tried to steady the nerves, follow the line and get well out in front. With what I thought was the correct amount of leed I squeezed the trigger. 42 grams of BBB steel propelled by ally 381 out of the trusty old browning 10g were on there way to the intended target. They connected, wings folded and heading for a crash landing with the water, the goose was dead in the air. For what seemed an age I watched the goose fall, the dog was already half way out to the retrieve by the time the goose crashed down. Goose back to hand and still shaking with excitement I stood and admired what has been the reason for so many fruitless nights under the moon, it was the holy bird, it was my first Whitefront. At 1:40 am the 1st January 2013. A flight I'll never forgot and a feeling I haven't felt for a little while now the excitement of a first goose. The only choker was unfortunately me dad missed, I felt gutted for him as you don't very often see um let alone get a crack at um. I now feel a great sense of privalige as there's plenty of members in the club who have been in a lot longer than me and haven't managed to bag one yet or even get a shot at um for that matter. For what ever reason Lady Luck was one my side last night, and if I don't get a shot now for the rest of the season I care not one bit. As soon as I've figured out how to post pics on hear ill put them up. There not the best as I only had me mobile on me, but a picture to cherish never the less

Happy new year from one happy fowler. Shaun

very well done shaun, fare play for sticking at it that time of evening/morning

I have only managed to get a shot off at the white fronts once, and that was my first outing as a full member up at frampton and i missed....

Heard them flying around last season but never got to see them.

so well done in deed, you have to be very pleased with that result

post-61287-0-73210400-1357237095_thumb.jpgpost-61287-0-40967100-1357237106_thumb.jpg

Cheers all for the reply. Funny how in those 5mins gone from being my worse season to being the best. It's the first time I've heard them and seen them this season don't think there are to many in from the last count I seen. Judging by where they were they have been feeding out by Frampton side of the trust so fingers cross someone else will get a crack at them before then end of season

A few clubs still get the odd few turn up but due to short stopping the amount that turn now is only a fraction of what use to turn up in the late 80s early 90s. I believe I read that last season just over 2000 migrated to the uk not 100% sure on the number but was something like that. I know the Severn used to be a strong with 8 to 10 thousand turning up some years now your lucky if you get 400 turn up last count I seen for Slimbridge wwt was about 75 but that was a few weeks ago. The east cost of England still get a few turn up but i think that it's mostly the Greenland race where as here on the Severn it's mainly the European race. One of the reasons it makes it so special to shoot one is the fact it's very rear to get under them unless you got access to a pretty special marsh.

Is that on fenland w.a ground or fenland area muncher. I'm a member of fenland w.a been up a few times this season but ain't shot anything haven't seen the geese there these last two seasons like I did in previous years

yes mate fwa ive had a good season on fenland this year ,but two seasons ago we were awash with pinks .