DOES CHOKE REALLY MATTER?

YoungShotJonny

It does make a difference but not noticeable results wise unless you are very consistent in your ability to put the shot in the right place time and time again.

You will not consistently hit long birds with cylinder despite what people say, but most people shoot inside 35 yards hence 1/4 is a very popular choice.

Until you get really good stick in 2 x 1/4 or 2 x 1/2 and leave them.

Plain and Simple, its how good you are with the gun:

But sloppy aiming is not recommended for any type of shooting, if cannot hit it with half choke, get things CLOSER and use 1/4 choke:

But winged shooting ,Flying you need hitting power for Clean Kill: if you can handle FULL, Fair play to yer:

You can let them get away a bit: and you have more time:

There is a semi famous quote (which i'm prob going to muck up now) said by Bill Harriman Basc fella and gun expert

Quote is something like " The perfect solution to a problem that doesn't exist" I'm sure someone will correct it if i'm wrong.

Basicly for the vast majority of shooters it won't make any difference, infact it could have a negative effect as ur mind will be thinking if u've got the right chokes in for the target, when u should just concenrate on the target

Shotgun shells are not hugely consistant either if u fired 25 shots at a pattern plate through the 5 major chokes u would u would find there would be quite big overlaps between chokes, prob hard to tell a 1/4 from a 1/2 and even some 3/4's might pattern more like a 1/4. Sometimes a fuller choke esp with a heavier load can cause a wider pattern than a more open choke due to pellets deforming at the muzzle and 'flying' due to them being deformed, happens with all chokes but more often when tighter

If u use a bit of common sense for wot ur shooting and the choke u put in, but it is far more important to put the gun/shot in the right place and really the choke is irrelevant. If u can consistantly point gun in the right place u will hit more targets than the person worryng/blaming the wrong choke for his misses.

Any combination off 1/4, 1/2 or 3/4 will cover u for most shooting in the uk, althou if u specailise in dscipline (skeet, high pheasants) u would alter them but for joe bloogs normal shot those chokes would cover u for anything really

I put it this way if my dads using 1/4 choke like Boxing Day taking high woodcock then I should be using skeet in other word unless your trying to get best scores in the world stick change your chokes as much as you want but for general shooting stick to 1/4 3/8 or 3/8 and 1/2 for roosting look at dunfyn I think he names is or thefourashes on YouTube he said in the comments he uses1/4 and 1/4 and look at the birds he's taking down and with so much accuracy he's hit two cars lol

Rhds sx3

I'm not all that sure that chokes make all that much difference the way that I shoot but i normally use 1/4 & 1/2 for clays, 1/2 & 3/4 for decoying and 3/4 & Full for rough shooting where I can let the quarry get a bit of distance before I shoot.

I guess the question of which chokes to use could be asked to 5 different shooters and you might well get 5 different answers, and as has been said, much depends on what cartridges you use and how good a shot you are!

My beretta xtrema has 5 chokes, I've only ever needed to use two quarter and half. My rizzini game gun has multi chokes but it only ever has quarter and half in it. My next game gun will be a beretta 687 el with fixed chokes yep you guessed it quarter and half.

+1

I have 2 multichoke o/us - permanent quarter and half in them. Half in the xtrema for fowling. Miroku 20 bore is fixed choke (you guessed it!) quarter and half.