zeroing

highland

I have a Hw100 with a Leapers scope and do a bit of HFT. Used to find the same thing between meets, zero was miles out. Since I started carrying the rifle in a solid case the problem is solved, on zero every time. I think carrying it in a soft case and slinging it over my shoulder would alter the zero

Some rifles just seem prone to this but there must be a reason-loose barrel or mounts spring to mind if the variation is windage wise or just warming up in the case of vertical stringing with a springer.Other guns,however,never seem to lose their zero,I had an S200 that retained zero for nearly 3 years and my .22 rimfire has kept its zero since I bought it-at least 15 years ago!!

Edited by bruno22rf

I have both my hw100 fsb k and my hw99 both in prestige condition and I am so careful with them.... Same problem, however my father in law has an old gamo shadow that he keeps out in his workshop, no case just locked in a safe, it's always spot on!!

The difference is mine is transported whenever I go shooting. He owns 3.5 acres and the gamo has never been transported or put in a case or slip.

The other difference is he spent £40 on his old second hand gamo with tiny scope and he manages to hit everything!! Where as I would not like to begin on how much I have spent on rifles and pellets and sometimes I struggle to hit the barn door!! .... It's just not fair lol

I think there are two areas you need to be aware of....

1. TRANSPORT - if possible always transport in a solid case or VERY carefully in a soft case.

2. WEATHER - if it is a little colder than when you last did a zero or a little hotter then this will affect the zero to a degree.

I have a HW100T with an MTC Viper Connect scope and it rarely looses the zero but then it is transported around in a solid case and very carefully.

Hope this helps.

I have a daystate huntsman in .22. I find that I have to zero very 3rd time I go out. I've got it down to a fine art now. I just clamp the rifle in a workmate with a towel to protect the wood and let off one round at 30yds onto a blank a4 piece of paper. Then just alter cross hairs onto the hole. I tend to put around 10 more shots to check groupings and it fine. One of the good things about a none recoiling gun.Not sure why it leaves zero but it's never by much 20 mm max.

Hope this helps

This gives me a bit of a cob on if I'm honest,

It's not as though the rifles and scopes we use are made of balsa wood and fairy dust is it?

I can't believe that carefully placing a gun in a case and laying on a rear seat can cause a shift in zero.

It happens to me though and I'm almost fanatical about not banging my guns about.

Usually, its the scopes, not the rifle. some react to the slightest knock.others stay solid

I have a Hawke XB30 on my crossbow that never goes out, yet the three on my air rifles constantly

need to be checked and zeroed after transportation.( All in soft cases).

My girlfriends S200 never goes out (Hard Case),

A friend of mine was shooting his rifle with the silencer resting on a fence, and it shot

4" (100mm) high. As soon as he rested it on the stock it wasn't quite zero which shows a

floating barrel does indeed float.