Browning 725 trigger resetting issues

DrQ

It has been an issue with 725's for years .

Earlier ones had a modified hammer spring , identified by a large coil midway in the length of the spring , all new guns have this as standard .

Mechanism needs to be scrupulously clean with no grease or heavy oil on the working parts .

American issues are often caused by lack of brain cells , but if trouble persists you can fit the trigger return spring off a .410 model which is lighter . 

I have repaired quite a few 725's with fail to fire issues . 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Salopian said:

It has been an issue with 725's for years .

Earlier ones had a modified hammer spring , identified by a large coil midway in the length of the spring , all new guns have this as standard .

Mechanism needs to be scrupulously clean with no grease or heavy oil on the working parts .

American issues are often caused by lack of brain cells , but if trouble persists you can fit the trigger return spring off a .410 model which is lighter . 

I have repaired quite a few 725's with fail to fire issues . 

Thanks for the update Salopian, so as I thought absolutely nothing to do with inertia because the 725 is fully mechanical.

6 hours ago, Westward said:

Don't ask me what they're playing at but I assure that there are numerous complaints among skeet shooters in America of 725 trigger reset problem with very light loads when using sub gauge tubes. They have to send the guns in to have the inertia system modified just like most other guns.

Try searching on "trigger reset problems with browning 725".

Thanks for getting back to me Westward.

it appears that there was an issue as Salopian has mentioned but it does not seem to be due to the 725 being partly inertia. I do recall someone mentioning about 18 months ago about 725 trigger problems and I think he mentioned inertia also, but if I can release both firing pins with two consecutive pulls on the trigger with no cartridges in the barrels then the 725 is definitely mechanical.

20 hours ago, steve1066 said:

but if I can release both firing pins with two consecutive pulls on the trigger with no cartridges in the barrels then the 725 is definitely mechanical.

That's what no one understands, but it is the case that many people have had problems with low recoil shells. I simply wonder why they felt the need to tinker with a system that had served them well for 50 years.

1 hour ago, Westward said:

That's what no one understands, but it is the case that many people have had problems with low recoil shells. I simply wonder why they felt the need to tinker with a system that had served them well for 50 years.

Having owned and used Browning/Miroku guns for OVER 50 years, I can state that the 725 trigger (and I have had 2 of them) is certainly an improvement over the original 50 plus, years old system. The earlier triggers ALL had a degree of 'slack' that had to be 'taken up' before the gun fired. After using the guns for so long, it was a matter of course that I would subconsciously take up the slack as I pulled ahead of the target. So much so, that when I bought a Perazzi, the damned thing was constantly going off before I pulled ahead. No fault of the gun, I just could not stop taking up the free play that was NOT there. After 4 years of a 725 'Black' and currently a ProSport, I have just about mastered the trigger, although there is still the odd memory lapse and 'BANG', when I am still well behind the target . Old habits and all of that  ! In my humble opinion, the 725 trigger is a much better system that the earlier editions.

Edited by Westley

Had this problem on my gun intermittently had it stripped down no problems found it was a gun I bought from new I had an old 725 which I used to lend to someone who came shooting with me every week so one week we swapped guns and it happened on the old one I was using which he had been using for about 2 years trouble free and my newish gun  did not miss a beat so deduced it was me that was not releasing the trigger fully between shots.

They are not the best triggers you only need to hold on to the trigger a smidgeon and they stick when you go to fire second barrel got rid in the end.