Anyone else have great days with small bags ??

Danoi99

We had a problem the other day ! a right nause...........not a pigeon in sight, in our field anyway !! There was about 5-600 in adjacent fields ( where we aint got permission to shoot ) we pumped a few shots of in the air to see if we could scare a few off their lunch ( out of spite really ) The entire flock took off.........got to an altitude of about 20ft.............then when straight back down !! They were obviously enjoying themselves !!

Me and my mate got bored and decided to have a walk along the hedgerow and through the woods...............dafty *** crow flew over head just as we came out of the wood ( now deceased ) and about 10 mins later, one solitary pigeon flew directly overhead..............higher than I would usually bother with..............going dead straight.....................I put my bead on him............followed him along...............pushed ahead and pulled the trigger.................completely folded and plumeted ( also deceased & processed by my intestines ).

Even though my count for the day was 1 Pigeon, my mate had 1 Crow...............we still had a great day out !! That 1 high pigeon, shot with my trusty side by side, hammer gun ( Baikal ) made my day !! Even after lugging lots of kit around and sitting out in the cold, it was still worth doing !!!

Don't get me wrong..........I still like shooting sporting clays with my Dad and brother !! Clays got me into the whole shotgun thing..............but pigeon shooting is the real deal !!

It's just nice to be strolling around the countryside with a pocket full of carts and side by side bent over your arm !! Beats fishing any day ! IMHO

For me its not all about the shooting, its as much about being outdoors, mixing with nature, having good company and not thinking about lifes troubles.

The other afternoon I didnt even pull the trigger but had the pleasure of watching a Hen Harrier doing its thing and as dusk set in the honour of watching a barn owl on the prowl..... awesome :)

For me its not all about the shooting, its as much about being outdoors, mixing with nature, having good company and not thinking about lifes troubles.

The other afternoon I didnt even pull the trigger but had the pleasure of watching a Hen Harrier doing its thing and as dusk set in the honour of watching a barn owl on the prowl..... awesome :)

Very true sometimes it's what you don't shoot

Its all about having a good laugh I was out on Saturday with my two sons ferreting 7 in the bag but the last one bolted that fast it pulled the peg clean out the ground and stated to bolt of over a stubble field still in the net.the boys where ******* themselves laughing.But the old man caught it.All the way home they where singing 'run rabbit run rabbit run run run'out run our dad so we can have some fun.

Edited by Davyo

I couldn't agree more! Like Gunneravi says "It's sometimes about what you don't shoot"! I frequently go out and only get the odd one or two shots but I return home happy in the knowledge that I have had my exercise and fresh air and hopefully seen something new that I could or should have learned something from!

I have had more blank flights than successful ones (wildfowling), morning flight is the draw for me. The gradual build up of noise as tje waders awake, watching the sun rise and the world come to life,cand listening to the magical sound of pinkfoots in the distance, I cant think of any place I would rather be than on the foreshore whether i get a shot or not.