1500+ pigeons, no cover to set hide!!!!!!!

fletch2

hi all, im needing some help with this one. the farmer on my permission has called me to shoot over his rape that is getting hit by about 1500+ pigeons.

i have been studying the flights ect for a couple days which has no regular pattern and the flock is getting bigger, they come in from everywere the problem being i can not find a decent place to set up my hide (grass, wire fence, rape field). is it possible to draw the pigeons from were they are feeding to the other side of the field with a magnet, flapper ect? i have attached a couple of pics with some info on them. red= pigeons, blue= flights, yellow= roost for a bit.

The question is were would you set your hide???

post-61644-0-68405800-1357413804_thumb.jpg

post-61644-0-20771000-1357413814_thumb.jpg

Your pic link does not work for me , however you dont have a problem , just set your hide up slap bang under the flightline into the field , they really dont care as long as you keep your movement down to a minimum , I have shot loads just set up in the middle of a field.

Edited by fenboy

Ask farmer to leave you some straw bales then just get in and start shooting, breaks the wind up on you and if set up in the middle of the field with plenty movement from flapper, rotary and bouncers the little blighters will soon come for a look and you will have 360 degree view and shooting.

Dont forget to set up with the wind in your back, pigeons always come in into the wind and you want them coming towards you as they look over the decoys, like the others say, dont matter where your hide is as long as you dont move and cover up, especially hat and facemask, i always wear gloves as well, i like them real close so i can see their eyes ,

just put your hide in the middle of the field mate, cut sum branches off of trees idealy furr tree limbs, and cover your hide in them pigeons wont be botherd by it, set up the day before you shoot aswell

There really isn't any need to add branches to a hide. There isn't any advantage to setting up the day before, either.

Looks like a tree just below the red dots...... set-up around there and set out the decoys and sit back and enjoy.... First time I did this I set-up the decoys, stared to pour myself a nice coffee and for the next four hours it was a constant flow...... went home with 18 pigeons, four crows and a full thermos of cold coffee. :-)

cheers for all the advise guy's! i went out for a little go i try'd a few things with not much luck had about 20mins of shooting and then it went dead. i think all the birds that are feeding on this field are from all the local woods around about. couple of shots and there gone, wind needed i think, but im new and got a lot to learn!!!

cheers fletch

dont forget if you set a hide up under a tree or large overhanging hedge you will restrict your field of view and reduce drastically the amount of shots you will get as a lot of birds will be out of view before you can blink, I was out yesterday on a rape field, walked out into the decoys to pick up fallen birds , i was in full camo with hat and facemask, gun in hand, just as i reached the decoys about 40 birds floated in from the field next door, i just dropped to the ground as low as i could get, facing the pigeons with the gun raised ready, they almost landed next to me before they spooked but it was too late for two of them, they didnt have a clue i was there. keep trying different things , it will work out eventually,

• 3 weeks later...

dig a hole so only your shoulders are above ground. :yes:

I had a field with no cover some years ago and I dug a hole so I could step into it and sit on a bag on the edge. The hole was in the middle of the field by a disused water trough the hide was a massive 30 inches tall and the pigeons ploughed in to the pattern. I stuffed feed bags into it when not in use.The other method is a brolly hide in the tram tracks which I use a lot.

Stubby nice hide mate. How many nets are you using.

cant view the attachments, but why not just set up where the pigeons are?, have put up a hide in middle of field plenty of times, they still come in, specially if you get set up before light

Nice hide stubby how many nets. ??

01122009340.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

been trying different things. but the best day was when i made a hide out of pallets againt a wire fence left it for a week then went and had a go the following week. I set the rotary up aswell so i think the birds were focused on that instead of the hide had a great day. thanks for the help cheers