Gun recommendations.

hardguy007

Hi, firstly ignore my signature as I've not got the shotguns anymore but am looking for a gun primarily for clays. Now the browning I had never fitted too well however it was usually the gun i used and the beretta fitted to a T.

So what would be worth considering? Budget is £1500 max and have would be keen to go for beretta or browning and i do like the extended chokes. Have been looking at the cynergy but what's your thoughts.

That's the problem thers so many to be looking at. Didn't realise the sv10 could be got for those prices so it's a def contender and that browning ultra is a cracker. I like to have a nice looking gun too. I know it doesn't affect the performance but it affects mental performance imo. Problem is (wer I'm at at least) I can't really try before I buy without doing all the paper work each time. For example the young bro went though 3 guns before he found one he could shoot ok with.

Problem is (wer I'm at at least) I can't really try before I buy without doing all the paper work each time. For example the young bro went though 3 guns before he found one he could shoot ok with.

??? Eh? Where are you? Ah NI, cant you "hire/try" guns at a clay ground there?

That ultra is stunning looking........ £1500 + a bit of haggle gets a lot of guns, you need to try some to see what they feel like then hunt the gun you want. If the beretta style suits then Guerini are certainly worth a look. If browning then the 725 which has more similarities with the cynergy low profile action new trigger mech certainly worth considering. If its for a "clay" gun then i would certainly consider the adjustable stock as it makes fitting easier and aids resale.

http://www.guntrader...121201171717001

Short trip http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Browning-B725-Sporter-gun-for-sale-gs105774.aspx Might be worth looking at coming to the mainland and visiting a few big dealers that have onsite clay grounds (or clay grounds with gun rooms) where you can try a few out Coleys in cheltenham is one Hodnet another Mid wales etc

Edited by HDAV

In North Co. Antrim. Nearest dealer which i can try before i buy is in tyrone as far as im aware but i like to stick with my local dealer. He may be slightly dearer and hasnt alot of stock but any guns he has are quality and he gives good prices for a tradein (only cost me £50 trade in with my grade 3). As I said I preferred the browning to the beretta but I kept getting a blister on my trigger finger with the browning as it was too long in the stock and had a thick recoil pad and my dealer tried but couldn't get a smaller one (think it was bonded on too). I loved the Beretta I had to as it was a grade 3 but again, that was only aesthetics.

As I said I preferred the browning to the beretta but I kept getting a blister on my trigger finger with the browning as it was too long in the stock and had a thick recoil pad and my dealer tried but couldn't get a smaller one (think it was bonded on too). I loved the Beretta I had to as it was a grade 3 but again, that was only aesthetics.

Standard browning pads are only a few mm thick must have been an added on one, there are hundreds of pads but most are designed to be ground to fit, my 525 is a touch long for me so considering having it fitted and one of these fitted http://www.recoilsys...een.asp#surefit

Guess you'll have to wiegh up the cost and hassle of trying to find a suitable one from the limited locally available stock, compared to coming over to the mainland and try a load out.

Couple of Ultra's in Antrim http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Browning-Ultra-XS-gun-for-sale-gs82233.aspx and http://www.gunstar.co.uk/Shotgun/Browning-Ultra-XT-gun-for-sale-gs82316.aspx

Edited by HDAV

I personally would go for the Beretta again, you said it fitted well; resale values are strong (browning also I must add) and build quality is very good. With over 55% market share they must be doing something right, it is your decision we will just give you an opinion from personal experience. Just make sure it feels right when you look down the rib.

Out of HDAV's list above, you could do a lot worse than that Zoli Kronos sporter with 32" tubes, for only £1,300 quid!!!

OK, granted to need to see pictures and talk to the RFD about its over all condition, but that is a great price for a Kronos.

I know, I think there are few old stock ones from the old importers at silly cheap money knocking about If i was closer i would certainly have a gander at it myself...........

In my very humble opinion a Guerini shotgun, although pointable, is not even a medium term investment. On the other hand Zoli? a lovely gun, well made and pointable but may loose money quicker than a Lada although Donal McCloy has a second hand (almost new) Kronos at the moment. Now that Donal is an agent the prices here will likely hold up much better. Can't go wrong with any of the other suggestions. The dealers can trade with each other, if you see one or try one from a dealer other than your preferred choice I've no doubt your dealer could secure it for you.

Edited by skabo1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i don't know why your considering re sale values when buying a gun, buy the gun that feels right for you and fits you, what suits one person will not suit you, i don't get on with Brownings as i don't have hands like a farmer. My 2 Beretta's are 26 and 27 years old, they would have to fall to bits for me to replace them, you know what guns are reliable by reading this forum, so don't get hung up with what other people are shooting and get something that suits you. ​And don't forget nice wood and fancy engraving don't break clay's !