HW100 S .177 first impressions

retromlc

After enquires on here and plenty of handleing in the shops I decided on the above PCP.

After a week I bought a selection of pellets from countryways and set about getting the right pellet,which was the AA field,most of the other shot nearly as good but the main difference was the amount the other pellets dropped,approx 3/4 to a 1" lower.I was keeping the pressure guage the same to be sure the air didn't drop off

Needing a steady aid i bought some shooting sticks

realising that i needed more practice i have been plinking away,and in the process have picked off 4 squirels and 3 woodies that have wandered in range,

I just head shot a woodie at 40 yards.

so I find the gun i very accurate,extreamly quiet and very well built.

I think I get about 60 shots before I feel a recharge is needed

the only fault for hunting,which was noted to me before I bought it is it's weight,it's heavy.

I think that a lighter buddy bottle is available and wonder if I took some wood out of the stock,combined it might take enough weight off the gun.

My scopes are un-named but very good ,but I think they might be quite heavy,so so lighter ones might be ordered.

overall I'm very happy and am glad I spent the £750 it cost me.

And am constantly impressed by how accurate it is.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason i bought the huntsman classic is because of its weight , very light and just the same in the accuracy department, but do like the HW only problem is the weight like you said and it gets worse once you put your gear on it

Hi,i bought a hw100kt about a month ago ,very accurate,i feed it aa field ,and as you say it is so quite,and great fun to shoot,i thought the gun had a problem when a shot landed 4 inch low a couple of times but it was my error by not pushing the cocking lever fully home,can`t wait to try it out on the rabbits,roll on springtime.

Mine is a HW100S in 0.22 it is very happy with RWS Superdomes and Acuppels, not tried AA Fields yet but as what I hit stays hit may just stick with RWS.

Would not mind another HW100 in 0.177 but the cost !!!!!!!!!!! May keep a look out on Gunwatch once HID has got the iPod tablet thingy she wants.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

BE careful when taking weight out of the stock as you may affect the balance of the gun. Try the lighter air reservoir first and then look for an alternative stock which is already cut down.

I love my HW100t and I get about 70 shots before it needs a top up - more than enough when hunting. For me the JSB 4.53 is perfect and at 40 yards I can out 14 shots into a five pence piece easily. The garden is now a no go area for the Squirrels and corvids but the song birds still come back.

As for scope have a look at the MTC VIPER CONNECT as it is a great little scope and well worth the money. I have one and I can not fault it - have a look at this video by Malc -

Edited by NickB65

I have a HW100kt in.177 its fitted with a Dr Bob buddy bottle conversion it has a 500cc bottle fitted

a harris bipod and sling attatched, it does 250 +shots with h& n Hunter Exteme .177 pellets its accurate and hard hitting ,with the sling its no problem weight wise i shoot off tripod sticks, overall its the best .177 combo going IMHO.

regds brian

BE careful when taking weight out of the stock as you may affect the balance of the gun. Try the lighter air reservoir first and then look for an alternative stock which is already cut down.

I love my HW100t and I get about 70 shots before it needs a top up - more than enough when hunting. For me the JSB 4.53 is perfect and at 40 yards I can out 14 shots into a five pence piece easily. The garden is now a no go area for the Squirrels and corvids but the song birds still come back.

As for scope have a look at the MTC VIPER CONNECT as it is a great little scope and well worth the money. I have one and I can not fault it - have a look at this video by Malc -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huMoJoQJgr0

Had my HW100 since April 2012, body count to date is 103, so my garden is pretty much the same, a no go for corvids squirrels rats and pigeons, theres a few commas I missed out ,,,the song birds still come in. Even down to the blackbirds knocking on the kitchen window for their mealy worms.

snapback.pngNickB65, on 07 January 2013 - 07:43 AM, said:

I love my HW100t and I get about 70 shots before it needs a top up - more than enough when hunting. For me the JSB 4.53 is perfect and at 40 yards I can out 14 shots into a five pence piece easily.

you need to register with the england team my friend because you and your gun are shooting better than anyone else in the country, i would even go as far as europe,14 shots into a five pence piece easily ??? even i find that very hard to believe at 40 yrds :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

I love my HW100t and I get about 70 shots before it needs a top up - more than enough when hunting. For me the JSB 4.53 is perfect and at 40 yards I can out 14 shots into a five pence piece easily.

you need to register with the england team my friend because you and your gun are shooting better than anyone else in the country, i would even go as far as europe,14 shots into a five pence piece easily ??? even i find that very hard to believe at 40 yrds :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Fine come on over..... You underestimate the England team as Larissa who is in the England juniors team and she is far better than I can do similar standing. Watching her ring the bell at Cambridge standing which is a 9mm hole is so annoying.

I use the HW100 with a bi-pod, prone and in the garden with little wind due to thick hedges. When you have a gun that can hit very small groups then it is not that hard...... just takes practise. However, stick me in the field with a stationary bunny and uncertain distance then the chances are he will have a pierced ear at the end of the day :-) (eyes are not what they used to be)

I think its entirely possible. I have a target/backstop at 36 yards in the garden and my hw100 will do that size off a bipod with most of the shots from a full mag. Theres always a flyer or two that will spoil the score. And there will be a lot of far better shots on here than me.

Edited by turbo33

I think its entirely possible. I have a target/backstop at 36 yards in the garden and my hw100 will do that size off a bipod with most of the shots from a full mag. Theres always a flyer or two that will spoil the score. And there will be a lot of far better shots on here than me.

THANKYOU I NOW REST MY CASE

THANKYOU I NOW REST MY CASE

Very clever response :no: I don't bother sorting and weighing my pellets that would weed out flyers. Its quite possible Nickb65 takes his target shooting more seriously than I do and DOES eliminate bad ammunition. Therefore I agree with Nick b65 that it is relativlely easy to achieve. Just because you can't achieve this level of accuracy doesn't mean others can't.

Edited by turbo33

Very clever response :no: I don't bother sorting and weighing my pellets that would weed out flyers. Its quite possible Nickb65 takes his target shooting more seriously than I do and DOES eliminate bad ammunition. Therefore I agree with Nick b65 that it is relativlely easy to achieve. Just because you can't achieve this level of accuracy doesn't mean others can't.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:sorry had to laugh at your comment,turbo please read my first comment, i did not say" it could not be done " , i said and i quote " i find that very hard to believe at 40 yrds :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: " please feel free to jump down my throat again,, ,as for your comment above i take it you have shot with me, to make such a bold statement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:sorry had to laugh at your comment,turbo please read my first comment, i did not say" it could not be done " , i said and i quote " i find that very hard to believe at 40 yrds :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: " please feel free to jump down my throat again,, ,as for your comment above i take it you have shot with me, to make such a bold statement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm not jumping down your throat, but you said "you find it hard to believe at 40 yards", which would either indicate you can't do it or think that only you can do it. I am merely trying to point out that in this case, the rifle we are talking about is quite capable of doing as Nick says he's achieved. I don't think his post warranted a sarcastic quip about the english team.

I'm sure you've seen some of the videos by Sibore. There are some incredible distances acheived. Obviously with a larger calibre powder burner, but even so, Just because I can't do it, I wouldn't say I find them hard to believe. Some struggle for accuracy at 20 yds, others find 40yds a doddle.

You know I haven't shot with you, but I have seen how steady your hand is at 40yds :yes:

http://forums.pigeon...ther-one-today/

So to use your words, I rest my case. ;)

Edited by turbo33

I'm not jumping down your throat, but you said "you find it hard to believe at 40 yards", which would either indicate you can't do it or think that only you can do it. I am merely trying to point out that in this case, the rifle we are talking about is quite capable of doing as Nick says he's achieved. I don't think his post warranted a sarcastic quip about the english team.

I'm sure you've seen some of the videos by Sibore. There are some incredible distances acheived. Obviously with a larger calibre powder burner, but even so, Just because I can't do it, I wouldn't say I find them hard to believe. Some struggle for accuracy at 20 yds, others find 40yds a doddle.

You know I haven't shot with you, but I have seen how steady your hand is at 40yds :yes:

http://forums.pigeon...ther-one-today/

So to use your words, I rest my case. ;)

Looking at that clip,i thought he was on a North sea trawler :lol: :lol: must have been playing with Jimmy wriggler,to get that much scope movement :yes: BB

the shot you are talking about was holding a rifle virtually at arms length and not on a bipod but standing, so i could look through the camera on a homemade mount you should both try that sometime not easy i can assure you both, but still hit the target

regards hitting a 5p at 40yds with not one but 14 consecutive pellets is imo very very hard to believe, i personally dont care what pcp or springer you are using but i,yes me,personally think you are both talking utter ****,

video it , show me and the england selectors just what you are claiming because i for one am finding it very difficult to believe and will not believe you can put 14 pellets into a 5p at 40yrds sorry but slagging me or anyone else for that matter because i dont believe what your saying to be true will not change my mind

turbo33, please video it and prove once and for all you can do it EASILY,i dont care how good you are or think you are but IMO you are talking total utter ********

the shot you are talking about was holding a rifle virtually at arms length and not on a bipod but standing, so i could look through the camera on a homemade mount you should both try that sometime not easy i can assure you both, but still hit the target

regards hitting a 5p at 40yds with not one but 14 consecutive pellets is imo very very hard to believe, i personally dont care what pcp or springer you are using but i,yes me,personally think you are both talking utter ****,

video it , show me and the england selectors just what you are claiming because i for one am finding it very difficult to believe and will not believe you can put 14 pellets into a 5p at 40yrds sorry but slagging me or anyone else for that matter because i dont believe what your saying to be true will not change my mind

turbo33, please video it and prove once and for all you can do it EASILY,i dont care how good you are or think you are but IMO you are talking total utter ********

To be honest evo I aint interested in the 40 yard shots into a 5p piece :no: even though with the right rifle set up and right person pulling the trigger im sure it could be done :yes: and regarding your opening line(see bold) well I wont be trying that either :no: I respect the quarry I shoot :good: BB

To be honest evo I aint interested in the 40 yard shots into a 5p piece :no: even though with the right rifle set up and right person pulling the trigger im sure it could be done :yes: and regarding your opening line(see bold) well I wont be trying that either :no: I respect the quarry I shoot :good: BB

and your saying BB ???

Without taking sides here-if its "easy" then a clip should only take a few minutes to film-keep the camera rolling so that we can see the time scale.I am not afraid to admit that I would not be able to match that kind of accuracy.Before this post becomes a slanging match and gets locked-the challenge has been made-so lets wait for the proof :friends:

Without taking sides here-if its "easy" then a clip should only take a few minutes to film-keep the camera rolling so that we can see the time scale.I am not afraid to admit that I would not be able to match that kind of accuracy.Before this post becomes a slanging match and gets locked-the challenge has been made-so lets wait for the proof :friends:

I think if you read our posts properly no one has said it was easy :no: Well not me or turbo anyway,if you want someone to make a clip,get the chap who said he could easily do it :good: I would like to see it too :yes: BB Edited by Bluebarrels