HW100 air loss / Swap for a springer?

Joeb3169

Hi guys im new to pigeon watch forums, just a couple of questions about my HW100 if you would be kind enough to take the time to answer.

1. The gun shoots fine, but loses all its air overnight, any ideas on what could be causing this or how to fix it?

2. Once fixed im considering swapping it for a lightweight springer, but something which can be tuned up power-wise when i get my FAC, will anything compare to a higher maintenance precharged gun like sticking to my HW100 where i believe up to 50ft/lbs can be reached?

Any thoughts are much appreciated,

Thanks a lot, Joe

If you want FAC air then stick to PCP's a well tuned springer is only going to get around 18-20 ft lb before accuracy goes out the window and there are very few capable of being tuned to those levels either , only the Hw 80s or the diana 52/54 are really worth looking at and they are far from lightweights.

common problem with the hw's is the o ring inside the breech block is too big. the guns are manufactured this way and the o ring is crushed, normally ok to start with but most eventually leak.

its the first thing i'd change in one that was leaking....both of the hw's i've owned have had this problem.

theres quite a bit of info on the net about it and the seals can be bought for a couple of pence each.....try just bearings when you find the size.....pretty sure it was 12x1mm but check the net first.

forgot to add, if you're going to go fac dont bother with the hw's, they reportedly arent much cop above 12 ft/lb, supposedly the accuracy suffers.

in my opinion if you're going fac it should be a daystate, or at a push a theoben......but a daystate really.

Edited by mickmep

Check the barrel for tightness, found mine was loose, lost the air overnight too. So I guess with the loose barrel the valve didn't close properly after firing.

Try turning the barrel by hand, if it moves then could be your problem. Not had any seals go on mine yet.

If the barrel is loose take the action out of the woodwork, only two screws, if you look under the barrel at the block there is a single grub screw. Thats the one to tighten but not too much as someone on here told me it causes problems with magazine rotation.

Line the barrel up so that the serial number is horizontal on the left hand side and make sure the barrel is push fully home, give the screw a nip up with an Allen key.

If all fails send it to Hull Cartridge, may cost a few notes but it will get sorted.

As for FAC don't bother with a HW100, plenty have posted on here they go iffy once aboce 12ftlb

ATB

Bri

Thanks for all the replies and sorry for the slow response!

The barrel turns freely by hand so i Will have a look at tightening that screw tomorrow and see how it goes.

Had been told about hull cartridge but warned it could cost me around 80 quid which seems a lot, so hopefully that screw does it!

As for the power upgrade i Will probably sell this air rifle and put the money to a good rimfire as advised.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!

Well, i've tightened something up, one of two screws which sit on the underside between the block and the trigger guard. Time to give it a try and see what happens!

have you trapped the magazine now?

send the HW100 to DM80, look him up on youtube

FAC air, there is a point if you need a safe distance drop of point, 28-30ft max, AA510 in .22 with variable output or a Rapid, some use FAC springers but I have no experience

22 rim IMO has no place in the field go 17hmr then 243 then 308 then 50 for your approved target

HW is a nice side lever action but I believe you will prefer the AA once you have had a cycle or two with it

Well, i've tightened something up, one of two screws which sit on the underside between the block and the trigger guard. Time to give it a try and see what happens!

Not sure your on the correct screws there, mines a mk2 and there is only one screw. The barrel fixing screw is nowhere near the trigger guard. Well depends upon your perspective I suppose.

Have you removed the woodwork, if you have then looking along the underside of the barrel you will see one angled grubscrew, thats the one. If you have not removed the stock then you are not looking at the right screw.

Edited by Sha Bu Le

have you trapped the magazine now?

send the HW100 to DM80, look him up on youtube

FAC air, there is a point if you need a safe distance drop of point, 28-30ft max, AA510 in .22 with variable output or a Rapid, some use FAC springers but I have no experience

22 rim IMO has no place in the field go 17hmr then 243 then 308 then 50 for your approved target

HW is a nice side lever action but I believe you will prefer the AA once you have had a cycle or two with it

Well............there's something for you FAC dudes to get a grip of

Again, thanks for the replies,

Yes i had trapped the magazine! Found the screw on removing the cylinder and tightened the barrel up (couldnt see any writing to line up though) and although the barrel was pushed well home the gun has still lost all of it's air overnight.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated, a home fix is preferable! I'm thinking it must be something to do with the o-ring people talk about being a bad size?

• 1 year later...

Hi guys im new to pigeon watch forums, just a couple of questions about my HW100 if you would be kind enough to take the time to answer.

1. The gun shoots fine, but loses all its air overnight, any ideas on what could be causing this or how to fix it?

2. Once fixed im considering swapping it for a lightweight springer, but something which can be tuned up power-wise when i get my FAC, will anything compare to a higher maintenance precharged gun like sticking to my HW100 where i believe up to 50ft/lbs can be reached?

Any thoughts are much appreciated,

Thanks a lot, Joe

PCP guns have more going wrong with them, the repair and maintenance is generally more hassle than cost, my advice find some who can, it needs looking at everything else is guesswork

Lightweight spring guns are harder to shoot well with as they react badly to the recoil the higher the power gets .Something like a HW80 will go up in power but shoots at its best sub 20 ft lb (I feel 15 ish is a better upper limit but not really worth it fac wise) stick to 12 imo.

If you want to go FAC get a buddy bottle PCP rifle in 22 and run it around 30 ft lb OR buy a .22LR (FAC air is far less useful than a .22 long rifle in a rimfire) were the airgun scores in accuracy at low power, once you go higher the FAC air is outclassed by the cheaper, more durable and more effective / accurate .22 rf and they are certainly available lighter if that your thing