Scotland trip 2013

Wildfowler12

Evening all,

My Mrs surprised me with a shooting break in Scotland for Xmas. We went this time last year, with hopes of bagging my first Pinkfoot, but had no success! I got back today and thought I'd give a quick write up. I never managed to get on the foreshore this year, but I had a few trips on various pieces of land nearby.

We left early Thursday morning (05:00) partly to avoid heavy traffic, but also because the 1st item on the agenda was a rough shoot in Sandyhills. We met our guide (Richard) at 09:45 and were ready to shoot shortly after. We covered a lot of ground and saw plenty of birds, mainly pheasant, but there was a few woodcock and snipe about too. I only managed to get 4 shots off, as the birds always flew in the direction of farm buildings/power lines/sheep, or anything else that made a shot unsafe, but that's rough shooting for you! Anyway, I managed a nice brace of pheasant, but I was gutted as one them got stuck in some branches and we couldn't get it out the tree!!

4E6B9F50-C2A3-43CD-9E3A-9A626E80E724-2431-0000021BDDCC11D9.jpg

CFD01625-6402-47C3-A6F4-5E313A8F3CCA-2431-0000021BCBE5DA43.jpg

Next morning, Richard picked me up at 06:00 and we headed to some land he had near Castle Douglas. There is a large roost nearby (that ISN'T shot). He said the geese tend to follow the river as they leave in the morning, but a few birds often cut across his land to 'cut the bend' on the river, at least they do with a little encouragement from the call. We set up on the expected flightline and after an hour or so, 2 Greylag broke away from a larger group and come right over the top of the hill we where stood behind. I fired 1 shot at each bird and was delighted to watch them both drop from the sky, my first and second Greylag, and a right an left too (or a double as has been pointed out)! It took a while to pick them both as they fell into a thick pine wood. Richard's dog was still searching for the second bird when we took this picture and we forgot to take a picture of the pair :( They where the only birds that come our way, but it was a very good morning none-the-less.

967B1B2E-B521-4BEF-8A38-2EB631B0F78B-2431-0000021995B5A14B.jpg

Later that evening I went down to the river bank with the Mrs and the dog. A night I will never forget, for all the wrong reasons!! To cut the story short, I managed to fall in the river (see here: http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/232797-i-went-swimming/#entry2017971)

Needless to say, the night ended there and then, after a struggle to get back on land, SWMBO insisted we went back to the cottage immediately so I could warm up. It was the right thing to do... No pics of the flight, surprisingly!! I thawed out in the hot tub :good:

040D7193-EFC6-4EE9-93FC-34FD489A448D-2431-00000219E052CEB3.jpg

Yesterday was my birthday and she'd arranged for us to have a wander all over the farm followed by an evening on the duck pond. I'd say this was probably the best day of all, you can't beat a nice walk with good company and the chance of bagging a bird or two. The only instruction was to take no more than a brace of pheasant, but anything else was fair game.

After 3hrs I had a brace in the bag, and whilst heading back to the cottage, I sent the dog over the river bank to see if any duck flushed. There must have been 50 wigeon on the water, I fired a shot into the pack and missed the lot!! (Too hard to pick out a single bird is my excuse here), but the bang caused 2 duck to lift further upstream, and as they passed I dropped the hen.

3A357B64-58F7-4C96-8E9F-C3B931E2ABD6-2691-0000029EA4C8059D.jpg

After some lunch at the cottage, we head down to the pond. I threw a few deeks onto the water and sat behind a wall nearby. It was very late when the duck started to come in, so I only managed 5mins of shooting before it was too dark to see. I could hear them flying above me, then hear them splash down amongst the decoys, but I couldn't see them to save my life. There must have been 30-40 duck that came into the pond in the short space of time that I was there. I managed a hen teal an a nice drake wigeon. I called in at the farm that evening to pass the farmer a goose and a pheasant to say thanks.

C298DF7F-0C7D-4748-8C98-468E16D690ED-2431-00000219AE54CB5D.jpg

C102872A-501E-42EE-8E69-F3C953F4A42C-2431-00000219BFA384CB.jpg

This was certainly a trip that I won't forget anytime soon, I'm looking forward to next year already!!

A9636615-5F27-4F86-805C-A323A6622230-2431-00000219F8C5BD2D.jpg

Throughout the stay, the pinks flew over in huge numbers, but always too high or too far out. We stopped at the beach in Bar-end on the way home, and were presented with this parting gift :)

http://i1176.photobucket.com/albums/x322/wildfowler69/Wildfowler12/DEA1F3A0-2CDF-440A-B475-9EA816654F9C-2431-0000021A24E60C1F.mp4

Maybe I'll get one next year, but I'm certainly enjoying the chase :good:

Edited by Wildfowler12

You cannot mistake the spoonbill of a shoveller, it is huge. A shoveller have a lovely powder blue cloured section on the wing.

Don't be dissappointed, a mallard is far better eating!

I must admit, I thought it was a mallard at first. But when the dog gave it to me I noticed the green patch on the wing?? I've looked at some pics online, and like you said the spoonbill is quite distinguishable. Could it be a hybrid of some sort, or perhaps a young bird? The flash on the wing is really throwing me, I've looked at it in the sun and under a torch but it still shines green, the the bill seems larger and wider than usual? But maybe I'm just trying to convince myself that!

Cheers for the advice :good: I've heard that shoveler arn't great eating too!

Edit: having done some more research in my books, I think you're right! I noticed mallard have a white strip above and below the metallic flash, whereas shoveler only have a white strip above the flash. I've still never seen a green flash on a mallard before!!

Cheers again.

Edited by Wildfowler12

Top trip by the sound of it :good: The mallard with the green speculum feathers is unusual but on a shoot i beat on they put down a lot of duck and a good number of them are the same. I had a chat with the keeper about it and he said it occurs within the strain of Mallard they buy in. Can't remember the name now but Belgian something springs to mind.

Are you sure?? A mallard hen has a purple flash on the wing, this one was green. And the bill was wider too, especially at the end.

Any other suggestions?

I had one that was a bit bizarre too, just happens I suppose..... http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/105610-donald-daisy-ladyboy-duck-or-hybrid/page__hl__mallard&do=findComment&comment=904635