best .223?

Mr Majyk

hi all! im looking round for .223 and im trying to decide what to go for i.e. tikka, sako, remington, etc.

i quite like the remington 700 mainly because its quite easy to get parts to customise it to exactly what i want, for example drop box mag for safety reasons so i can unload the rifle in the space of a second or two. but what im really concerned about is accuracy over all! how well the rifle groups etc. just wandering what other people have and use and what sorta groups you can get? especially if you use a remi 700.

What will the rifle be used for?

As a field gun I can't fault my A-Bolt. It shoots bullet on bullet at 100 yards and came with two five round mags, scope bases, was factory screwcut for a moderator and has a pretty crisp and decent trigger. All for under £500.

I'm not keen on Remington rifles. They seem to need a bit of work to get them to an acceptable level so unless you want to work on them I don't see the point! As you say though they do have a million and one add ons that you can buy for them so if that floats your boat they're hard to beat.

I have a Rem 700 in .223 - laminated stock - varmint barrel. I dont do groups but reload. My v max at 4,300 fps seem to manage foxes rather well.

Missed one last week after 10 straight kills mostly out to 150, 2 rather further.

My problem with it is I need some more robust sticks - it keeps wobbling about !!!

Ive got 2 x Rem 700 based custom rifles.... saying that for a factory rifle you cant go wrong with a Tikka or Howa..... infact any of the big names

Biggest pain in the *** with the 700's is with the Floor Plate, unless you buy a magazine conversion to accept AICS Mag's

hi all! im looking round for .223 and im trying to decide what to go for i.e. tikka, sako, remington, etc.

i quite like the remington 700 mainly because its quite easy to get parts to customise it to exactly what i want, for example drop box mag for safety reasons so i can unload the rifle in the space of a second or two. but what im really concerned about is accuracy over all! how well the rifle groups etc. just wandering what other people have and use and what sorta groups you can get? especially if you use a remi 700.

I hate Floor plates and much prefer a magazines but you can empty a floor plate just as quick as a magazine! :good:

Why spend the money converting one if you want a magazine buy a REM 700 DM to start with, or simply spend the extra you would on conversion and buy a Tikka! :hmm:

I run a Rem 700 and 2 x Tikkas, nothing in it accuracy wise on mine! :good:

I have a Rem 700 in .223 - laminated stock - varmint barrel. I dont do groups but reload. My v max at 4,300 fps seem to manage foxes rather well.

Missed one last week after 10 straight kills mostly out to 150, 2 rather further.

My problem with it is I need some more robust sticks - it keeps wobbling about !!!

I don't honestly believe its possible to drive anything lead out of a .223 at 4300fps. Even 40's should top out 500-600 fps below that

What gr v-max? At that speed it should be Very very flat.

What will the rifle be used for?

As a field gun I can't fault my A-Bolt. It shoots bullet on bullet at 100 yards and came with two five round mags, scope bases, was factory screwcut for a moderator and has a pretty crisp and decent trigger. All for under £500.

I'm not keen on Remington rifles. They seem to need a bit of work to get them to an acceptable level so unless you want to work on them I don't see the point! As you say though they do have a million and one add ons that you can buy for them so if that floats your boat they're hard to beat.

The rifle will mainly be used for bashing Charlie, and oneday a bit of munty stalking with the occasional competition.

Some people are speed freaks and want a bullet moving as fast as it can go without tearing the barrel to bits but im a grouping freak, i want a rifle which is consistent above anything, i think bullet placement on target, be it charlie or paper is more important than anything!

ive got a 440 acre permission and me and my shooting buddy regularly see charlie out round 200 yards ive taken one with my .17 at 100 (proper bullet placement did the job, along with the insane expansion provided by the CCI hollow points i was chucking out the muzzle. and just to say i dont make a habbit of my .17 on charlie id much rather be using a .223 but i couldnt say no when that shot presented itself.) I dont mind the idea of working on a rifle to improve it and i do like customising my rifles so the remi 700 does have a big appeal to me. ideally i think id like something with a box mag (so i can unload quickly if needed) a fluted stainless steel barrel with a duracoat finish (i dont like the raw steel look) and also a tighter twist? like 1-9 or 1-8 so i chuck some heavier lead. are there any rifles out there which i can order and already come with these bits?

The rifle will mainly be used for bashing Charlie, and oneday a bit of munty stalking with the occasional competition.

Some people are speed freaks and want a bullet moving as fast as it can go without tearing the barrel to bits but im a grouping freak, i want a rifle which is consistent above anything, i think bullet placement on target, be it charlie or paper is more important than anything!

ive got a 440 acre permission and me and my shooting buddy regularly see charlie out round 200 yards ive taken one with my .17 at 100 (proper bullet placement did the job, along with the insane expansion provided by the CCI hollow points i was chucking out the muzzle. and just to say i dont make a habbit of my .17 on charlie id much rather be using a .223 but i couldnt say no when that shot presented itself.) I dont mind the idea of working on a rifle to improve it and i do like customising my rifles so the remi 700 does have a big appeal to me. ideally i think id like something with a box mag (so i can unload quickly if needed) a fluted stainless steel barrel with a duracoat finish (i dont like the raw steel look) and also a tighter twist? like 1-9 or 1-8 so i chuck some heavier lead. are there any rifles out there which i can order and already come with these bits?

Tikka T3 tactical a bit heavy though and not a fluted barrel.