2nd cabinet question

cockercas

There is NO requirement to notify the licencing department. It is your responsibility to store guns securely, not theirs.

You may notify them if you wish, if you don't they may get in touch to ask why/how you are storing say 10 guns in a 5 gun cabinet.

If/when they find out about it (if they ring and ask you about it, or at renewal) they may choose to inspect it, but that is purely their own rules and nothing to do with the law.

at last someone with some sence, i dont know why peps get so confused about what carts to use what gun safe to buy what chokes to use what guns to buy, iam not sure how we servived 30 years ago without shooting forums

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So thats two other people who have looked and found nothing. Thanks chaps. When renewal comes around all guns will be put back into cabinet no1. No questions asked.

Sounds like your asking for trouble to me.

if for any reason your house gets broken into, scum get into cabinet no2, guns gone, feo comes around and asks where were your guns. err they were in my other cabinet that wasnt approved by you. Do you think they will just tell you off?

Just go ahead and do it why ask you have already made you mind up, i can only give advice on personal experience which i have had with the police me for the trouble it would cause to fit it and write a short letter telling them what you have done if they don't want to check it you have done nothing wrong but you don't need to do anything wrong firearms make up there own rules and most of the time to suit them.

Just go ahead and do it why ask you have already made you mind up

Because people on here know more about the firearms act then i do. I might of overlooked some part of it and someone could of set me straight. Saving me from shooting mysdlf in the foot.

Legally i have no obligation to notify them so i wont.

I dont think in law it states you have to inform them but differant forces seem to make up thier own rules, i was always told i have to inform them where as other forces may not, the same applies to the cabinet, as far as i know its not a legal requirement to have a police approved one but your just making life hard if it isnt. I have tried to attach a file for guidance, dont know if it will work.

security_leaflet.pdf

If/when they find out about it (if they ring and ask you about it, or at renewal) they may choose to inspect it, but that is purely their own rules and nothing to do with the law.

If they do find out surely i can deniey accses to veiw the second cabinet as they know i have the security in place with the first.

I dont think in law it states you have to inform them but differant forces seem to make up thier own rules, i was always told i have to inform them where as other forces may not, the same applies to the cabinet, as far as i know its not a legal requirement to have a police approved one but your just making life hard if it isnt. I have tried to attach a file for guidance, dont know if it will work.

Ive read that one i think and ive been thru the act.

as long as its BS approved and fitted next to the excisting cabinate these no need for a fao visit,,but they do like to be informed to update their records...this is for swales,,other areas may have different views !

You don't even have to have the cabinet fitted next to the original cabinet. As long as it's fitted correctly and is 'police approved' you should have no worries. I have never been told that I 'should have informed them' when I fitted the other cabinets. And that's not just for S.Wales.

Personally I think it is important to be as open as possible with the police. You are building a relationship of trust between you. I have always been 100% open with them and they seem to treat me very fairly.

They do have a record of the secure storage that you have. They do realise that you can squeeze more in than the stated capacity.

I told them when I installed a 2nd cabinet and they came to check it. When I installed a 3rd they didn't come, but I wrote to them inviting them to do so should they wish. It also allows them to update their records with the amount of secure storage you have.

There is no disadvantage to telling them. Can't be bothered to search the wording but in the Police Guidance it is a requirement for shooters to be open and cooperative with the police. Keeping them up to date is just a part of that.

Been quite an interesting thread this has and cannot say I'm not confused as to why you participate in a hobby that is mostly governed by the police and you are set against having the slightest more communication with them than you have to. We all have our own ways but I have never come across a shooter who is set against telling them what your doing and does seem a bit suspicious to me. Am sure your a law abiding nice guy but still has me baffled

Regards

John

You don't even have to have the cabinet fitted next to the original cabinet. As long as it's fitted correctly and is 'police approved' you should have no worries. I have never been told that I 'should have informed them' when I fitted the other cabinets. And that's not just for S.Wales.

I am in N Yorkshire, I have fitted extra cabinets a few times now with out any comment, they just take a look at them and update there records when they come out for visits

Been quite an interesting thread this has and cannot say I'm not confused as to why you participate in a hobby that is mostly governed by the police and you are set against having the slightest more communication with them than you have to. We all have our own ways but I have never come across a shooter who is set against telling them what your doing and does seem a bit suspicious to me. Am sure your a law abiding nice guy but still has me baffled

Regards

John

I dont have a problem with the feo's or police in general. The times ive been caught doing things i shouldnt theve allwaus been polite and professional. But when they have been told from higher up the chain to give you a telling off but carnt give you a answer to what should of been done to resolve the situation with a safe outcome i have a problem. Escpecially seen as the copper was appoligising while giving me the telling off and telling me he would of done the same. So i do have a problem with there system. id rather not have anything to do with it.

Im not doing anything illeagle, im not storing 50kg of coke in it.

Just putting a few guns in there that dont get used ad much as the others to free some room in the other.

Not law tho is it.

I am in N Yorkshire, I have fitted extra cabinets a few times now with out any comment, they just take a look at them and update there records when they come out for visits

i was just quoteing what i was told !

nope no law & informing them is just adding to grants, variations & renewals. put my second cabinet in 2 months ago & they can check it when i renew my tickets. the security of your guns is your responsibility.

Edited by atf

nope no law & informing them is just adding to grants, variations & renewals. put my second cabinet in 2 months ago & they can check it when i renew my tickets. the security of your guns is your responsibility.

Appoliges mate of it says that in the thread.

I only read the 1st post.

Why so edgy? Just tell them and if they want to inspect it, let them do their job.

Because if i dont have to i wont.

Sounds like your asking for trouble to me.

if for any reason your house gets broken into, scum get into cabinet no2, guns gone, feo comes around and asks where were your guns. err they were in my other cabinet that wasnt approved by you. Do you think they will just tell you off?

There would be nothing they could do. When they approve of a cabinet it means nothing, other than that they are satisfied you have adequate storage and they'll then issue you a certificate. Not being approved by them does not mean it is not adequate.

If they do find out surely i can deniey accses to veiw the second cabinet as they know i have the security in place with the first.

You probably could, but I really wouldn't. There is a big difference between not going out of your way to notify them of something you are not required to and actually obstructing them. If I was an FEO and someone refused me access to their cabinet when I said I'd like to check it's secure I'd be very worried that something was wrong.

Regards

John

And this post shows why shooters have so many problems.

We should comply by all the laws and try to work with the firearms department, but we should not invent additional rules for no reason.

There is no requirement to notify the police of a new cabinet, nor is there any point to it. It really has nothing to do with them. If they like to keep records on these things that is up to them, but it's not for us to get involved.

It's like saying I should notify someone that I have purchased another car, bike or shed. Why would I?

If we keep inventing rules for no reason they become compulsory, and this leads to more time, hassle and money being wasted - and ultimately fewer people bothering to shoot.

Now there is a chap who WILL lose he's license.

Why?

By not doing something not required of him?

Am I going to lose my driving licence by not notifying the DVLA that I intend to drive my car on Monday, or that I may fill the fuel tank with petrol?

Am I going to lose a SGC by not notifying the police that I may go shooting tomorrow?

If you aren't required to do something then you cannot be in trouble for not doing it.