Body shot

Footu

Came back from a days shoot then took the dog out for a mooch, she won't sit still so can't come with me on a stand and drive. Was just on the return when she dived into a bush and came out with a squeaker. Nice touch, called her back and traded rabbit for a dog biscuit- fair exchange is no robbery a they say. Necked it and took it back, was taking skin off and found a pellet in its back, shot from side or behind it was a .22 and only went skin deep, not even into the muscle was just caught in the fascia under the skin.

Probably kids with no idea but it got me wondering, do any of you go for a heart/lung shot or is it pretty pointless given the accuracy of air guns now. I always aim for the head. ?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never anything but a headshot with sub 12 in .177.

I take the view that a headshot results in more clean kills, or complete misses than heart and lung shots.

A rabbits heart and lungs is not a big target and is also difficult to pinpoint under field conditions.

The best target is the 5p sized one behind the eye and just below the ear that drops the rabbit with no fuss. If you're sure of hitting that spot then take it.

If you're not, leave it alone.

The first rabbit I ever shot was a chest shot, that was some time ago with an open sighted HW35 the heart lung area kills BUT the rabbit don't always know its dead till its brain runs out of oxygen. It isn't the best placement choice with such a low power tool but it get the job done at times better than the head (which should be termed brain shot) reason being "head shots" can easily wound as the brain isn't in all of it. Never look at a rabbits head as the target the brain box is far smaller than the head. I have found rabbits up to half grown are killed cleaner via chest than brain shots, I suspect the skin and the still flexible scull acting together have something to do with that one

Hi Kent, in my post you'll see I mention the 5p sized area of skull. (Yes Evo, 5p size!)

40 years of bunny bashing has taught me that bodyshots result in more wounded rabbits than dead ones.

My only aiming point is that little brain box. If I'm not 99% certain I don't take the shot.

As for chest shots taking younger rabbits, ok, well how do you tell between a large younger rabbit and a small adult? How many chest shot rabbits crawl away to die because they've run off, not knowing they're dead?

Please don't take bodyshots with sub 12.

Regards

Tim

The first rabbit I ever shot was a chest shot, that was some time ago with an open sighted HW35 the heart lung area kills BUT the rabbit don't always know its dead till its brain runs out of oxygen. It isn't the best placement choice with such a low power tool but it get the job done at times better than the head (which should be termed brain shot) reason being "head shots" can easily wound as the brain isn't in all of it. Never look at a rabbits head as the target the brain box is far smaller than the head. I have found rabbits up to half grown are killed cleaner via chest than brain shots, I suspect the skin and the still flexible scull acting together have something to do with that one

spot on :good: :good:

heart and lung will do the job fine if you know where they are you would be surprised how many folk don't though

colin

Ok, I am quite prepared to accept that a correctly placed heart lung shot will do the business, but is it as instant? That's a question not a challenge.

I head shoot because I know that when I pull the trigger it's almost certainly immediately fatal and I don't think I lose anything by waiting for the correct shot to present it self.

I take bunnies in the chest with rimfire .22/.17HMR but wouldn't dream of doing so when I used an air rifle. Then it was head shoot or nothing. I did a couple of experiments on the penetration at 40 yards and many times the pellet may not make it through into the chest if it hit the foreleg or a rib.

Ethically either head shoot or get a FAC and a rimfire. I have no experience of FAC air.

got to agree with timmy for once ha ha,,head shots for me only,i also think heart and lung shots will kill no problem,i think the main thing here is the distance they are being shot,although i could take rabbits out upto 50yrds i do not attempt too, i will only shoot rabbits upto and including 35 yrds ,i will not even attempt to pull the trigger unless i am 100% certain of an instant head shot kill,

for a pellet to be sitting under the skin i think it is obvious the shot has been taken from too far a distance and or the gun used was very under powered

35yrds head shot all day 40yrds max

I recently skinned a squirrel my mate had shot in his garden (15yards ) and I found both pellets wedged in-between its spine .

I wound never even think about a body shot on bunnys but I also believe 55 yards in the head is fine as I used to set up 60 yards from the corner of the field with my ft rifle and wait for hrs killing everything that stepped out (50x zoom was brilliant for that :):))

Edited by team tractor

I have seen it done, but doesnt mean its right. Head shot only from the side or back of the head. If you cant hit this killzone you need to stalk closer, or not be shooting rabbits at all.

I dont heart and lung anything mainly because im not confident of knowing exactly where i need to put the pellet. Head shots only on everything for me

The heat lung shot is not much bigger than the brain, depends how the shot presents itself. Is it humane ? According to all leading authorities yes - bit gruesome but this is how firing squads were instructed to shoot in the past! It not a common shot but a full 12ft lb .22 cal will go through one side of the ribcage and out the other easy broadside at 30-35 yds 9 times out of ten. Half destroying a brain will not kill instantly, shooting in the Body ie guts will not kill instantly, destruction of either the heart which pumps oxegenated blood to the brain will kill and destruction of the lungs that oxegenate the said blood will kill. I have seen a rabbits brain inside a rabbits very damaged scull and the rabbit in question squeeking and running in circles - it happens ! it easy to say " I have x years of experience" but consider I started my shooting with an open sighted HW35 and started FT shooting when paper targets and a 4x40 FWB sport was the kit and finished with a GC2 sportsmatch and 8-32x 44 Burris R/A. I have yet to meet the guy that can take a single aimed shot under field conditions and hit a 5pence "as quoted" 10-10 times 8-35 yds However the heart lung is not an easier shot its just another shot that at certain times is the best one to take. I rate the airgun comic gurus about as high as as the average 16yr old farm boy with his dads old gun- correction I rate the lad more!

for those that they say they would not take a head shot unless they can 100% guarantee a kill are talking out of their well you know where, at 40 yards from when you squeeze your trigger to when the pellet hits is more that enough time for the rabbit to move enough to make it a injured rabbit, nothing is guaranteed we all want to kill out right but you cannot say you can guarantee..,,

now this may sound gruesome but a long time ago i took a few whole frozen rabbits we had at work (a butchers shop) and ran them through the bandsaw down the middle it is very interesting to see how big and where the kill zone is and like Kent said the heart and lung is a bigger target if you get the chance to do it then do it is quite and eye opener,

colin

for those that they say they would not take a head shot unless they can 100% guarantee a kill are talking out of their well you know where, at 40 yards from when you squeeze your trigger to when the pellet hits is more that enough time for the rabbit to move enough to make it a injured rabbit, nothing is guaranteed we all want to kill out right but you cannot say you can guarantee..,,

now this may sound gruesome but a long time ago i took a few whole frozen rabbits we had at work (a butchers shop) and ran them through the bandsaw down the middle it is very interesting to see how big and where the kill zone is and like Kent said the heart and lung is a bigger target if you get the chance to do it then do it is quite and eye opener,

colin

No I didn't say it was a bigger target! Its less mobile and from many angles its actually cleaner shot

No I didn't say it was a bigger target! Its less mobile and from many angles its actually cleaner shot

sorry miss read but it is a bigger target not a lot but bigger none the less

colin

you said heart and lung is not much bigger??

my bad

Edited by colin lad

Headshot if A- It's a 'definite' hit (no such thing) or B- You are planning to eat it.

Heart/lung shot if A- The head is obscured or B- you got a job to do and don't mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later.

All this bull about only taking the shot if it's a 'guaranteed' instant kill is just that. Bull. No such thing.We all do our best to make it quick and clean, but the situation often doesn't present itself like that. If you are out for the sport and can afford to let 7 out of 10 rabbits go because you want your quarry to drop on the spot with a little flurry of angels and some soft music, then good on you. If Mr Farmer needs a problem cleared then upper body shots are a much better and efficient way of getting the job done. Armed tree huggers may chime in now..... :lol:

sorry miss read but it is a bigger target not a lot but bigger none the less

colin

you said heart and lung is not much bigger??

my bad

I consent that but its marginal, it is not a shot I should take on that basis- this is were heat lung shots become gut shots IMO, with a RF being a bit off the mark matters less but with an air gun......

well i read some threads but why is it as soon as someone gets a FAC licence they all of a sudden start to knock people who hunt with air rifles ???. no your not above them as you are in the same sport,i mean to me IMO it takes a lot of skill to hunt with an air rifle as shot placement is more important on a rabbit than it is when using a 22rf or .17hmr cos when they are used lets be honest small entry hole and the exit wound is normally huge so no matter where its hit half of it is blown away,

i personally think its wrong to slag the air gun chaps off because there are some very dedicated lads (idiots aswell) just like some FAC owners but dont think just because you have a FAC gives you the right to slate them

YOU ALL started somewhere prob air rifles

if i had my choice i,d use a air rifle over a 22rf anytime but thats just me

ok tin hat is on,,,,,,,all the best EVO

We use sub 12ft/lb Air rifles as well as .17hmr and .22lr or various shotguns for hunting vermin and time after time its the Airgun that provides the most memorable days-but not the most productive.There is something comforting about using Airguns to hunt,maybe because you need to get so much closer to your quarry and then be that little bit more accurate to kill it cleanly that its the difficulty that we enjoy?-I guess that,if everytime we went out shooting ,we killed vast numbers of creatures then we would soon become bored.I never look down on people who choose to use Airguns only,for whatever reason,because to be succesful they need to be that bit better than people who burn powder in most scenarios.I have never been without an Air Rifle in my 37 years of shooting. :good:

We use sub 12ft/lb Air rifles as well as .17hmr and .22lr or various shotguns for hunting vermin and time after time its the Airgun that provides the most memorable days-but not the most productive.There is something comforting about using Airguns to hunt,maybe because you need to get so much closer to your quarry and then be that little bit more accurate to kill it cleanly that its the difficulty that we enjoy?-I guess that,if everytime we went out shooting ,we killed vast numbers of creatures then we would soon become bored.I never look down on people who choose to use Airguns only,for whatever reason,because to be succesful they need to be that bit better than people who burn powder in most scenarios.I have never been without an Air Rifle in my 37 years of shooting. :good:

+ 1 bruno i do think its got to be very challenging with the air rifles bud ,and as you say you even use FAC rifles also,but i,ve not heard you slagging air rifle users off mate,good on ya :good: