Body shot

Footu

well i read some threads but why is it as soon as someone gets a FAC licence they all of a sudden start to knock people who hunt with air rifles ???. no your not above them as you are in the same sport,i mean to me IMO it takes a lot of skill to hunt with an air rifle as shot placement is more important on a rabbit than it is when using a 22rf or .17hmr cos when they are used lets be honest small entry hole and the exit wound is normally huge so no matter where its hit half of it is blown away,

i personally think its wrong to slag the air gun chaps off because there are some very dedicated lads (idiots aswell) just like some FAC owners but dont think just because you have a FAC gives you the right to slate them

YOU ALL started somewhere prob air rifles

if i had my choice i,d use a air rifle over a 22rf anytime but thats just me

ok tin hat is on,,,,,,,all the best EVO

Were did that come from? I have just trawled back through the thread and nobody is slagging off airguns, I think your reading between the lines with a complex on this one buddy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Headshot if A- It's a 'definite' hit (no such thing) or B- You are planning to eat it.

Heart/lung shot if A- The head is obscured or B- you got a job to do and don't mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later.

All this bull about only taking the shot if it's a 'guaranteed' instant kill is just that. Bull. No such thing.We all do our best to make it quick and clean, but the situation often doesn't present itself like that. If you are out for the sport and can afford to let 7 out of 10 rabbits go because you want your quarry to drop on the spot with a little flurry of angels and some soft music, then good on you. If Mr Farmer needs a problem cleared then upper body shots are a much better and efficient way of getting the job done. Armed tree huggers may chime in now..... :lol:

i'm sorry to say, but you're a disgrace to the sport of shooting with that attitude & mentality mate.

i'm sorry to say, but you're a disgrace to the sport of shooting with that attitude & mentality mate.

Like it or not he is talking about the real world, the world some people on their keyboards don't know exists.

He has offered his view, so have you, that's forums! :yes::good:

Oh dear... Me thinks you are new to the 'sport' of shooting living things. As Dekers correctly puts it, " This is the real world". I wonder how many of you 'always take head shots' Chaps have had runners? Because of residual electrical impulses and base instinct getting them back to the warren where they then instantly die with no brain and with a little fanfare? No. It was more likely that you blew the front of it's face off and it spent the next 3 days or more dying a slow and painful death. A lung/heart shot will kill a rabbit quickly , and often instantly. That's not to say I don't take headshots, I often do, but I'm equally as happy, if not more so, to take a heart/lung shot, because it's 99% sure to kill it quickly. Headshot is instant lights out, yes, but get it wrong and it's very nasty and unpleasant. But you don't see that because the rabbit is back down its hole mangled and suffering. Heartshot is instant, but it's a very small target, as small as the brain. Lungshot? Yikes, the rabbit will drown in it's own blood quickly. Sounds horrible doesn't it? Shooting living things is a pretty horrible business really when you break it down. I read on a forum somewhere someone saying about how he fluffed a shot and wounded the rabbit. He said that incident haunts him constantly. I have to admit I needed to clean the coffee off my keyboard after reading it. Not because I'm callous or disregard the suffering of the prey, but because he was so clearly pursuing the wrong 'hobby'. Unless you're a sick in the head nutter, we all try to drop the prey as quickly and as cleanly as we can. Of course we do. But I suspect some of the members on this forum are 'weekend' shooters, that have a very romanticised view on the act of killing things. If you are able to go on to your perms' and take the whole day to shoot 3 rabbits, then super! Great day out I'm sure! You go do your stalky stalky thang to within 20 yards and take your 'guaranteed' headshot. Personally I'll inspect the reported trouble spot the day before, locate a good vantage point, take rangefinder readings then come back the next day, plot up about 40 odd yards off and eliminate the problem. Headshots if they appear nice and close, heart/lung if further off. A heart/lung shot is an entirely acceptable and efficient means of killing your prey. And I might add that the heart/lung shot has been the preferred shot for professional hunters for hundreds of years.

Edited by pabs

And I might add that the heart/lung shot has been the preferred shot for professional hunters for hundreds of years.

with a rf or centre fire yes i have to agree because it blows half of it away,but with an air rifle and shooting at rabbits 35 yrds and closer then its a head shot for me,but that is my way of doing it,yes i could and can shoot them out to futher distances but i just dont choose to, but again thats just me and my way of doing things

i do not shoot rabbits for pest control on my perms because they are not really a problem , if they become a problem then i will take one of the lads off here and give them a day out with their .17 hmr and let them have the day out on them

i,m quite lucky as i have a choice,i am not being asked by my farmers to sort them because there is a problem i merely go out and stalk them so as to shoot them for the table that is another reason why i shoot them with a head shot

i have been in the shooting(hunting) real world for some 38 years now and have been on both sides of the fence ie; rearing game for people to shoot and so on,it just so happens that now i can make a choice of what and when i want to shoot i,m not forced to shoot rabbits, i do it because i enjoy the sport of hunting but it does not make me a lesser person because i might disagree with individuals comments

at the end of the day professional or avid hunter we all want the clean kill be it head ir heart/lung but as said for me its the head shot but that is and always will be MY opinion

Edited by evo

100% agree with you catweazle i forgot to mention , i am also using sub 12ftlb which is another reason for head shots only, as you say with a rimfire i see no problem at all taking heart/lung shots but with a sub 12 air rifle i personally think head shots have a better % of kill rate,

I take head shots with sub 12 air rifles, because the heart / lung area can be obscured by the top og the leg bone which is enough to deflect a pellet. I don't mind chest shots with rimfire, because it has plenty of power to get through.

Well I've skinned and cleaned plenty and yes sometimes the shoulder does indeed get hit also, but its always smashed its way through and into the vitals. That's not to say maybe on occasion it hasn't, seeing as the ones that do make it back to the warren are unavailable for comment.... But the same can be said for headshots as I pointed out in my previous posts. Shooting things dead is never going to be a guaranteed instant kill. It just doesn't work that way. Until someone invents a deathray of course. :yahoo:

Well I've skinned and cleaned plenty and yes sometimes the shoulder does indeed get hit also, but its always smashed its way through and into the vitals. That's not to say maybe on occasion it hasn't, seeing as the ones that do make it back to the warren are unavailable for comment.... But the same can be said for headshots as I pointed out in my previous posts. Shooting things dead is never going to be a guaranteed instant kill. It just doesn't work that way. Until someone invents a deathray of course. :yahoo:

Surely you've just confirmed what I wrote ? That when the pellet gets through it kills, but sometimes it hits bone and the rabbit runs away. 22LR always goes through, HMR smashes up the shoullder and sometimes the other shoulder too.

Deathray sounds good, who makes it ? Can I get one that kills and cooks at the same time? :lol:

For me its just the best angle, you don't always get a square on broadside shot. shooting for the brain from the front isn't reliable- but the heart lung is. It has little if anything to do with range as the proper placement is to similar stds. The heart lung shot is not the full front of the body and yes forelegs can make a difference to if the shot is clean - rib wise or in from the front there is no issue 12 ft lb is up to the job! I often do neck shots to account for wind etc using rim fire / centre fire I don't take such a shot with air even at 30 ft lb as frankly its low percentage. shooting isn't death by lethal injection and never will be no matter what it says in the comics- head shots can and do wound and so can other placements

Deathray sounds good, who makes it ? Can I get one that kills and cooks at the same time? :lol:

I am currently working on concentrating and focusing the microwave energy from my Toshiba microwave oven. It will also ping when the rabbit is done :good: So far all I've managed to do is melt the silencer in a big crackly sparkly way :sad1:

shooting isn't death by lethal injection and never will be no matter what it says in the comics- head shots can and do wound and so can other placements

Yessum :good:

Oh dear... Me thinks you are new to the 'sport' of shooting living things. As Dekers correctly puts it, " This is the real world". I wonder how many of you 'always take head shots' Chaps have had runners? Because of residual electrical impulses and base instinct getting them back to the warren where they then instantly die with no brain and with a little fanfare? No. It was more likely that you blew the front of it's face off and it spent the next 3 days or more dying a slow and painful death. A lung/heart shot will kill a rabbit quickly , and often instantly. That's not to say I don't take headshots, I often do, but I'm equally as happy, if not more so, to take a heart/lung shot, because it's 99% sure to kill it quickly. Headshot is instant lights out, yes, but get it wrong and it's very nasty and unpleasant. But you don't see that because the rabbit is back down its hole mangled and suffering. Heartshot is instant, but it's a very small target, as small as the brain. Lungshot? Yikes, the rabbit will drown in it's own blood quickly. Sounds horrible doesn't it? Shooting living things is a pretty horrible business really when you break it down. I read on a forum somewhere someone saying about how he fluffed a shot and wounded the rabbit. He said that incident haunts him constantly. I have to admit I needed to clean the coffee off my keyboard after reading it. Not because I'm callous or disregard the suffering of the prey, but because he was so clearly pursuing the wrong 'hobby'. Unless you're a sick in the head nutter, we all try to drop the prey as quickly and as cleanly as we can. Of course we do. But I suspect some of the members on this forum are 'weekend' shooters, that have a very romanticised view on the act of killing things. If you are able to go on to your perms' and take the whole day to shoot 3 rabbits, then super! Great day out I'm sure! You go do your stalky stalky thang to within 20 yards and take your 'guaranteed' headshot. Personally I'll inspect the reported trouble spot the day before, locate a good vantage point, take rangefinder readings then come back the next day, plot up about 40 odd yards off and eliminate the problem. Headshots if they appear nice and close, heart/lung if further off. A heart/lung shot is an entirely acceptable and efficient means of killing your prey. And I might add that the heart/lung shot has been the preferred shot for professional hunters for hundreds of years.

you thinks wrong pabs, i've lived in the real world for 55 years and shot living things in it for 43 of em.

i dont know where you get the idea that i'm a head shot only shooter from, because i only criticized your comment "you got a job to do and dont mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later" i made no other comment, so you're just assuming that i'm an anti heart/lung shooter.

you seem very keen to mock "always take head shot chaps", "weekend shooters" who only shoot 3 rabbits all day, stalky stalky thang etc.

well believe it or not, that is the "real world" for many shooters. i'm lucky to have a fair few shoots with numbers on them, but not all perms are teeming with rabbits. many shooters only have access to perms with no numbers on them, so the "stalky stalky thang" is top method. you could turn up on these shoots and inspect it all you want, locate as many good vantage points as you want, do your rangefinder readings, plot up wherever you want, and you'd eliminate nowt mate. that is the real world for most people pabs.

there's too many shooters who are lucky enough to get a shoot or 2 with numbers on, and then go around claiming "i'm on a clearance job", "i got a culling job", i'm on an elimination job" etc. i suppose it makes them feel more important than weekend shooters.

i've dismantled the population of a few of watership downs, but never viewed it as a job, just a hobby.

how much per hour do you charge these farmers for this "job to do where its so important to shoot them, that you dont mind them maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later"???

regards

you thinks wrong pabs, i've lived in the real world for 55 years and shot living things in it for 43 of em.

i dont know where you get the idea that i'm a head shot only shooter from, because i only criticized your comment "you got a job to do and dont mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later" i made no other comment, so you're just assuming that i'm an anti heart/lung shooter.

you seem very keen to mock "always take head shot chaps", "weekend shooters" who only shoot 3 rabbits all day, stalky stalky thang etc.

well believe it or not, that is the "real world" for many shooters. i'm lucky to have a fair few shoots with numbers on them, but not all perms are teeming with rabbits. many shooters only have access to perms with no numbers on them, so the "stalky stalky thang" is top method. you could turn up on these shoots and inspect it all you want, locate as many good vantage points as you want, do your rangefinder readings, plot up wherever you want, and you'd eliminate nowt mate. that is the real world for most people pabs.

there's too many shooters who are lucky enough to get a shoot or 2 with numbers on, and then go around claiming "i'm on a clearance job", "i got a culling job", i'm on an elimination job" etc. i suppose it makes them feel more important than weekend shooters.

i've dismantled the population of a few of watership downs, but never viewed it as a job, just a hobby.

how much per hour do you charge these farmers for this "job to do where its so important to shoot them, that you dont mind them maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later" ???

regards

Ah, so you're NOT an anti heart/lung shooter? So you accept that sometimes a lung shot rabbit will make it back to the warren upon which it will expire shortly after? So how does that make me a disgrace to the 'sport'?? How does this attitude and mentality offend you so? You've been shooting/hunting for 43 years (about 20 years more than me) and you find the concept of your prey sometimes not dropping instantly somehow abhorrent? You ALWAYS drop them on the spot? Really? Wow, then truly you are an exception to the rule! You "only criticised my comment" What, the fact that a lung shot rabbit sometimes can get back to it's hole? How else would you have liked me to phrase that then? Come on pogue' you can't have your cake AND eat it. Which is it to be??

Edit- And as to your some perms' not lucky enough to have rabbits teeming... Then this I would consider 'leisure shooting'. No need for them to be shot except for the pleasure of shooting them. If the numbers are so few that you need to stalk up to the odd one, then this is certainly what would be also considered 'sport' shooting. Do you see the difference? I seem keen to 'mock' the ardent head shooter? No, I simply scoff at the attitude that this is the ONLY way they should be taken.

Edited by pabs

Ah, so you're NOT an anti heart/lung shooter? So you accept that sometimes a lung shot rabbit will make it back to the warren upon which it will expire shortly after? So how does that make me a disgrace to the 'sport'?? How does this attitude and mentality offend you so? You've been shooting/hunting for 43 years (about 20 years more than me) and you find the concept of your prey sometimes not dropping instantly somehow abhorrent? You ALWAYS drop them on the spot? Really? Wow, then truly you are an exception to the rule! You "only criticised my comment" What, the fact that a lung shot rabbit sometimes can get back to it's hole? How else would you have liked me to phrase that then? Come on pogue' you can't have your cake AND eat it. Which is it to be??

Edit- And as to your some perms' not lucky enough to have rabbits teeming... Then this I would consider 'leisure shooting'. No need for them to be shot except for the pleasure of shooting them. If the numbers are so few that you need to stalk up to the odd one, then this is certainly what would be also considered 'sport' shooting. Do you see the difference? I seem keen to 'mock' the ardent head shooter? No, I simply scoff at the attitude that this is the ONLY way they should be taken.

ok pabs you win mate :lol: :lol: even though you're twisting things around and cheating :sly::lol:

carry on arguing amongst yourself.

no hard feelings or axe to grind :good:

regards

very good mate :lol:

you assumed quite a lot, and you answered questions that i never asked. however, you never answered my question of "how much per hour you charge these farmers" for, in your words, eradicating these rabbits. they must pay you well if the situation is so desperate that you find it necessary to, again in your words, " you got a job to do and dont mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later "

so how much do you get paid ??, or are you just one of these shooters who just pretends its a job, and likes telling other shooters that "you're doing a job" to appear better than them, and adds more weight to your views on heart/lung shots.

a lot of this so called "leisure" shooting that you seem to mock, is often the result of a shooter tackling a rabbit problem, getting the numbers to an acceptable level, and then paying regular-ish visits to keep the numbers at an acceptable level.

you mention your tactic of plotting up 40yds away, try plotting up a bit closer and make it easier for yourself. they'll come out just the same at 30 yds.

show me a farmer who will pay you to shoot rabbits with an air rifle, and i'll show him 100 shooters who'd do it for nowt, and probably do it equally as well in all honesty.

right mate, you can twist my words and misquote me all you like now, i've had enough :lol: :lol:

as i said pabs, no hard feelings or axe to grind.

take care and most of all enjoy your shooting :good:

very good mate :lol:

you assumed quite a lot, and you answered questions that i never asked. however, you never answered my question of "how much per hour you charge these farmers" for, in your words, eradicating these rabbits. they must pay you well if the situation is so desperate that you find it necessary to, again in your words, " you got a job to do and dont mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later "

so how much do you get paid ??, or are you just one of these shooters who just pretends its a job, and likes telling other shooters that "you're doing a job" to appear better than them, and adds more weight to your views on heart/lung shots.

a lot of this so called "leisure" shooting that you seem to mock, is often the result of a shooter tackling a rabbit problem, getting the numbers to an acceptable level, and then paying regular-ish visits to keep the numbers at an acceptable level.

you mention your tactic of plotting up 40yds away, try plotting up a bit closer and make it easier for yourself. they'll come out just the same at 30 yds.

show me a farmer who will pay you to shoot rabbits with an air rifle, and i'll show him 100 shooters who'd do it for nowt, and probably do it equally as well in all honesty.

right mate, you can twist my words and misquote me all you like now, i've had enough :lol: :lol:

as i said pabs, no hard feelings or axe to grind.

take care and most of all enjoy your shooting :good:

Lol, you also seem to make a lot of assumptions, mostly that I'm a disgrace to the 'sport' of shooting by taking shots that you yourself have conceded you take yourself... We'll inspect that fact a little closer in a bit. First of all, let me address your question as to my 'payment' for controlling the rabbit population on my permissions( as it is termed). I receive no actual cash per rabbit I shoot(though I dare say I could sell them on to local butchers if I wished). I do get grazing and year round pasture for my(daughters) horses at one perm. I also get a regular supply of fresh Lincolnshire Red beef from another perm'. Eggs and fresh free range chicken from another. The other two(Bus company/farmer) and small holder I do for family 'obligation' ( they are friends) Due to the amount of land I need to cover over all of these permissions, it's a bit like painting the Fourth Bridge, it's an ongoing situation. As I've stated before, maybe I have the luxury of land vs available shooters, though I like to think it's due to my effectiveness...

Now then Mr Pogue' let me ask you this, and I'm sure you'll answer directly of course... No axe to grind? No hard feelings? Then pray tell what did you mean by your first post saying I was a disgrace to the 'sport'? You have said yourself that you are not adverse to taking heart/lung shots, no? So what is the difference between you doing it and me doing it that makes me a disgrace? Would you like to backtrack a little? You said I assumed that you were a headshot only shooter. Surely your first comment would indicate this? But then you said you weren't?? I'm a little confused as to where you stand on this matter. Now let me guess ( as you've had some time to think about it) that you only mean't with .22 LR or HMR. Cor, I didn't see that one coming...! Though of course you haven't said that so far, so it's a little late to pull that one out the bag. Sorry. I think maybe you are a classic 'jump on the bandwagon' type that doesn't really know what you are talking about? You'd think that with 43 years of shooting, you'd have a little more experience of these things.

But I've no axe to grind, And no hard feelings of course.

Take care and good shooting :good:

Regards.

Edited by pabs

Lol, you also seem to make a lot of assumptions, mostly that I'm a disgrace to the 'sport' of shooting by taking shots that you yourself have conceded you take yourself... We'll inspect that fact a little closer in a bit. First of all, let me address your question as to my 'payment' for controlling the rabbit population on my permissions( as it is termed). I receive no actual cash per rabbit I shoot(though I dare say I could sell them on to local butchers if I wished). I do get grazing and year round pasture for my(daughters) horses at one perm. I also get a regular supply of fresh Lincolnshire Red beef from another perm'. Eggs and fresh free range chicken from another. The other two(Bus company/farmer) and small holder I do for family 'obligation' ( they are friends) Due to the amount of land I need to cover over all of these permissions, it's a bit like painting the Fourth Bridge, it's an ongoing situation. As I've stated before, maybe I have the luxury of land vs available shooters, though I like to think it's due to my effectiveness...

Now then Mr Pogue' let me ask you this, and I'm sure you'll answer directly of course... No axe to grind? No hard feelings? Then pray tell what did you mean by your first post saying I was a disgrace to the 'sport'? You have said yourself that you are not adverse to taking heart/lung shots, no? So what is the difference between you doing it and me doing it that makes me a disgrace? Would you like to backtrack a little? You said I assumed that you were a headshot only shooter. Surely your first comment would indicate this? But then you said you weren't?? I'm a little confused as to where you stand on this matter. Now let me guess ( as you've had some time to think about it) that you only mean't with .22 LR or HMR. Cor, I didn't see that one coming...! Though of course you haven't said that so far, so it's a little late to pull that one out the bag. Sorry. I think maybe you are a classic 'jump on the bandwagon' type that doesn't really know what you are talking about? You'd think that with 43 years of shooting, you'd have a little more experience of these things.

But I've no axe to grind, And no hard feelings of course.

Take care and good shooting :good:

Regards.

you're making this up aren't you ??? please show me where i said this.

sorry pabs, but i really cant take any more of this, unless of course you roll me one, of whatever it is you're smoking B)

seriously though mate, i never said "you were a disgrace to the sport"

i said "you were a disgrace to the sport of shooting, with that attitude and mentality" and was referring to your comment "you got a job to do and dont mind the rabbit maybe making it back to the warren to die 60 odd seconds later" which i highlighted in red to show that this was the ONLY comment i was referring to.

you stated, that taking heart/lung shots was ok as long as you dont mind the rabbit maybe taking 60 seconds to die. sorry mate but thats totally unacceptable. if we're going to point a gun at summat with a view to killing it, then we must do our best to switch it off as instantly as possible, for legal, as well as humane reasons. of course we are all capable of occasionally fluffing a shot that may not result in an instant kill, sludge happens.

please re-read my posts pabs, and you'll find that nowhere have i said that i'm for or against heart/lung shots, but just for the record, i take head shots. i have taken heart/lung shots but MY view is head shots are far more effective/humane on rabbits.

i'll disregard your comments about the stunt you ASSUMED i was going to pull concerning rimfire, and the classic jump on the bandwagon type comment, and your view that i dont know what i'm talking about, because these are just inane ramblings to try and justify that you DONT mind that a heart/lung shot can take 60 seconds for the rabbit to die, and I DO.

a very poor mentality and attitude mate, and a very poor advert for airgunners.

however, i have no doubts pabs, that without that attitude and mentality, you would/could be a credit to the sport of shooting.

right i'm off for a crafty fag now.

regards.

Is this really still going on :)

Let's face it here head shot under the ear kills dead . End of arguement :) if you can't hit the brain go join a club until you can

dont tell pabs that ,he,ll have you for lunch just like the rabbit when he finds what burrow its in and digs it out :lol: :lol: :lol: ,only jokin pabs dont take offence lol

Whatever works for you!

I take the appropriate shot as to how the quarry presents, doesn't bother me if that is head or heart/lung, which I find very terminal in a lot of wildlife! :good:

Is this really still going on :)

Let's face it here head shot under the ear kills dead . End of arguement :) if you can't hit the brain go join a club until you can

I'm not getting this at all, the head shot brigade will NEVER concede on the body shot and the body shot have their opinion, thats life, who cares, lets not get into this .....holier than though, .....I've got to say the right thing (which is what?), ...... I read it somewhere......

Whatever works for you! :good: