pumps

GingerCat

Right, Xmas is over and its time I put the surplus socks and pants away and got me a new toy. I was thinking of a pump action. Mainly for pigeons and rough shooting and more reliable than a semi.

From what I hear the sxp is very good and not too hard on the wallet either.

Any other suggestions? I would like steel shot comparability and a 3 inch chamber just in case, are the hatsans ok? What others are there that you've used and liked?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a Remington 870 super magnum for pest control and wildfowling. Picked it up second hand and in excellent condition for £325, couldn't ask for a better shotgun, still hasn't let me down.

I also quite fancied the Weatherby PA 08 as well, you can pick one up brand new for around £375.

I shoot better with the pump action than any other shotgun that i've owned :good:

Am I right in thinking that a pump will have no issue cycling shirt carts if that's what put in it, the fussyness of the semi annoys me hence was thinking a pump.

I have no issues keeping it clean but just can't be doing with a gun that wil only cycle certain shells, if pumping one stops that im sold .

Pumps are generally more forgiving when it comes to different loads. I have a Benelli SuperNova with a 3.1/2" (89mm) chamber and it happily shoots anything from 63mm up to full length. My only problem is making sure that I don't 'short-stroke'! But, that is user error and not the gun.

Interesting thread! And good timing too as i'm in the market for a 12g semi/pump to!

Have to say though, that i had an old battered Breda semi some years back and it cycled everything i used. And god did i change brand and type alot! Was i just lucky..... ???

If you’ve got a hang up about jambs then perhaps a pump isn’t for you. Unless you are really going to use it on long shots at wildfowl then a 3” chamber is a disadvantage because if you short stroke it you will throw 2 out on the elevator and it will jamb up. I bought my 8 shot Mossberg 500 pump before Hungerford and the subsequent clamp down and have it now on part 1 FAC. The original reason that I bought it was because when we went out rabbiting with lamp from back of vehicle I was always being caught out unloaded with my SxS and the safety frame was battering the barrels. I have used it to shoot pigeons but with any multi shot you will have to keep a tight count on the shots or you will find that you will run out of ammo in the mag. (dead mans click).

Super fun to shoot though, I love my pump and so does everyone on our get together clay shoot in the autumn. It’s a bit of a talking point at the barbeque after the shoot.

Edited by fortune

If you’ve got a hang up about jambs then perhaps a pump isn’t for you. Unless you are really going to use it on long shots at wildfowl then a 3” chamber is a disadvantage because if you short stroke it you will throw 2 out on the elevator and it will jamb up. I bought my 8 shot Mossberg 500 pump before Hungerford and the subsequent clamp down and have it now on part 1 FAC. The original reason that I bought it was because when we went out rabbiting with lamp from back of vehicle I was always being caught out unloaded with my SxS and the safety frame was battering the barrels. I have used it to shoot pigeons but with any multi shot you will have to keep a tight count on the shots or you will find that you will run out of ammo in the mag. (dead mans click).

Super fun to shoot though, I love my pump and so does everyone on our get together clay shoot in the autumn. It’s a bit of a talking point at the barbeque after the shoot.

Apologies for stealing the thread for a moment...

Can an fac shotgun have a shorter barrel compared to the minimum length for a sgc?

I understand the Hatsan is very much like the rem870. The Winchester is similar to their old 1300. As far as I know!

The 1300 I had years ago was a fantastic fitting gun for me but they have the added feature of a rotating bolt head that is spring loaded which means as soon as it fires the bolt is released and basicaly the action opens itself. All you got to do is shut it!

The rem on the other hand stays locked untill you slide the the forend back. My express 20g was hard work untill I polished everything! The 1300 I never touched!

U.

I've a Hatsan pump and cannot fault it. People comment on it being a Hatsan, yet they are then surprised if they give it a go and find how tight and positive the action is. Fantastic value for money, highly recommended.

Apologies for stealing the thread for a moment...

Can an fac shotgun have a shorter barrel compared to the minimum length for a sgc?

A pump or semi cannot have a barrel length shorter than 24", or an overall length shorter than 40".

You can have a single barrel/SxS/O/U with the barrel down to 12" on a FAC.

I've a Hatsan pump and cannot fault it. People comment on it being a Hatsan, yet they are then surprised if they give it a go and find how tight and positive the action is. Fantastic value for money, highly recommended.

A pump or semi cannot have a barrel length shorter than 24", or an overall length shorter than 40".

You can have a single barrel/SxS/O/U with the barrel down to 12" on a FAC.

The barrel on my Moss 500 is 24” long. As it is an 8 shot the mag tube securing mount is set191/2” along and is about an inch thus it leaves about 31/2” of the barrel.

Mine is a standard length gun and I cant see any advantage or reason to cut it down or put one of the modified pistol grip/ fold down stocks onto it.

Another Mossberg 500 here, I havent had mine long but have grown to love it, its a 1984 and must of had 1000 upon 1000 of carts thought it (I put 250 through it today alone!) and even now it performs faultlessly, it hasnt missed a beat since I've had it.

It was designed 1960 and is still made and on sale today.... that says alot :)

and its not much more money than the turkish offerings.

after a few clay sessions using it my bro's now getting a pump ;)

So why is the Supernova the best pump out there? cycling anything is the nature of most pumps and fitting is a personal thing.

I'm not being cantankerous I'm genuinly interested in what makes it a better gun. I can see general build quality and longevity probably being better than say the turkish offerings, but what else?

I'm now a pump man, I love the extra interaction with gun and their simplicity... so all pump info is good info :)

Personally I think they messed up the styling on the supernova, its like the designer couldnt decide between clean contempory lines (see trigger guard) or traditional curves with a bit of overmoulding thrown in. But as we all know how it looks very much comes second place to how it shoots :)

Edited by thepasty

you could say that about most things in life, cars, houses, household appliances, etc etc... if there were no design flare and people didnt want things to look attractive and appealing the world would be a very dull, unemotive and uninspiring place! As mentioned above, how something looks is very much second place to how something works and functions but if you can find something that does both most people would take that choice.... thankfully

An AK47 works and lasts for ever.... but the build quality is ummmm **** at best! :)

just some observations for discussion, I dont want to start any fires ;)

Edited by thepasty

I have a Mossberg 500, and whilst it's true that it will cycle many cartridges they are not all problem free. I have found that when using 65mm cartridges and cycling the action for a second shot at high birds the cartridge can sometimes tumble backwards so that the brass end is on the loading gate and the crimp end is pointing upwards towards the top of the action, the gun is then jammed.

Using longer cartridges cures the problem as there isn't enough room for them to tumble. If you aren't pointing the gun almost vertical the problem doesn't happen.

I found this problem when using 65mm Hushpower cartridges and 65mm Supreme Game.

you could say that about most things in life, cars, houses, household appliances, etc etc... if there were no design flare and people didnt want things to look attractive and appealing the world would be a very dull, unemotive and uninspiring place! As mentioned above, how something looks is very much second place to how something works and functions but if you can find something that does both most people would take that choice.... thankfully

An AK47 works and lasts for ever.... but the build quality is ummmm **** at best! :)

just some observations for discussion, I dont want to start any fires ;)

Not disagreeing with that at all. Some may think the nova is well looking

I lile things that look good but a gun is a tool to me so looks dont come into it.

Just my opinion

I wouldn't buy 1 as an ornament or feature for the house but I will buy 1 as a suitable tool for a job.

Another Mossberg 500 owner here (the Mrs bought it me as an engagement pressent) and I love the thing ! The only unusal thing is its 20g and a bit short but it comes up fine and and both me and the mrs can use it !

She shoots the 23gram subsonics through it and it barely kicks and I shoot 28gram on clays and 30gram in field with no issue. Its never jammed and was cheap second hand, very reliable and i can now cycle quickly with it. It doesnt need to be cleaned at all how ever as its so so simple to take apart i enjoy stripping it and cleaning it after shooting it !

We get married this year so I cant justifie adding another gun to the cabinet this year how ever..... Next year is a different story and I could quite see me having a 12g pump to !

No question about it on some clays were a rapid almost instant second shot is needed i would be lost with the pump not being quick enough but for 95+% of sporting clays its fine and in the field its great !

Always puts a smile on my face when shooting it even if i dont hit my target and that satisfaction alone makes it worth every penny to me !