pumps

GingerCat

I stripped mine for the first time last niight, not that it needed it but I'm a bit of a cleanaholic with guns too ;). I loved how simpled the action was, very few parts with loads of tolerance, very field strippable if you'd done something like dropped it in some curing concrete and needed to rinse it out in a river :D...made me think AK47 of the shotgun world!

I'm surprised no ones mentioned the simple pleasing sound a pump makes.... satisfying :)

Edited by thepasty

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iv just bought a 12g winchester sxp i was thinking of selling it but i think il keep it now lol! Didnt think any one used pumps! Its brand new still havent shot it yet! Aparently the sxp cycles itself back so all u need do is pump forward! Spose it is the fastest pump on the market tho! I was surprised to see what features were on the gun! Invector plus chokes, backbored barrel to 18.7rather than ur average 18.2! Speed load= no daft buttons to press! Efortless cocking! Well pleased now

Benelli Supernova. the gun the Yanks are buying in hundreds of thousands.

Incidentally, they are no longer buying Remmingtons, Mossbergs,Winchesters or Hatsans because the quality control is so poor.

The Super nova handles well, fires everthing you can feed it and is made largely of plastic so it won`t be destroyed by the salt atmosphere of the foreshore.

Get one!

Edited by mudpatten

Benelli Supernova. the gun the Yanks are buying in hundreds of thousands.

Incidentally, they are no longer buying Remmingtons, Mossbergs,Winchesters or Hatsans because the quality control is so poor.

The Super nova handles well, fires everthing you can feed it and is made largely of plastic so it won`t be destroyed by the salt atmosphere of the foreshore.

Get one!

from what iv read the winchester is doing exceptionaly well in the states?!

The 500 is chambered for 3" and when my 8 shot mag is fully stoked up with 2-3/4" shells it sometimes chucks 1 1/2 shells out of the mag onto the elevator at the same time if it isn't really pumped vigorously. I soon got the hang of clearing this problem by shoving a finger into the elevator and pushing one of the rounds up and out. Sounds complicated but takes a second. I've never had the cartridges cartwheel on the elevator. The only other problem with the operation of the 500 that I've had occurred when I liberally used spray grease into the action to quieten it up a bit. It was snowing and a rabbit broke cover, when I fired nothing happened except a slight click. The primer had a small dent but the cold had semi frozen the grease and slowed the hammer. I thought that the hammer spring had broken. REMIDY take back to car and blow hot air from heater through the action and unfreeze it OR take a leek into the action. ( Dont use grease in the action in the winter). 50 years in constant production, 10 million sold worldwide, only shotgun to pass all US Army tests.

http://www.mossberg.com

Edited by fortune

Isnt it sad though that there isnt much mif any Mossberg merchandise available here in the UK, a baseball cap and gun slip would be nice ! May have to mail order one when in the US later this year and bring them back in our luggage !

Just be thankful that you can buy the *guns*.

My favourite pump is the Ithaca M37 but Ithaca don't "do" the UK so I only get to buy second-hand guns and I count my blessings that I've got any at *all*. Not only that, but the last time that I needed spare parts, I had to get them direct from Ithaca as no-one would import them for me.

Ithaca merchandise? Pigs'd fly, first.

Regards,

Mark.

Just be thankful that you can buy the *guns*.

My favourite pump is the Ithaca M37 but Ithaca don't "do" the UK so I only get to buy second-hand guns and I count my blessings that I've got any at *all*. Not only that, but the last time that I needed spare parts, I had to get them direct from Ithaca as no-one would import them for me.

Ithaca merchandise? Pigs'd fly, first.

Regards,

Mark.

I would love a 37 or a BPS.

I noticed the other day my 870 20g express has split it's stock where the wrist fits to the reciever on both sides:-(

U.

Edited by Underdog

Hi all. In the year I will be after a hide gun of some sort. I was thinking of a semi but am drawn to the pocket friendly pump. How do they do in the confined space and on the pigeons ?

Thanks

Karl.

I don't shoot pigeons but use my pump action in a hide when shooting crows.

Like any new gun, it take's time getting used to, get a lot of people looking at me funny when I tell them I use a pump action.

Don't seem myself buying another semi auto to be honest, my Remington does the job perfectly.

I don't shoot pigeons but use my pump action in a hide when shooting crows.

Like any new gun, it take's time getting used to, get a lot of people looking at me funny when I tell them I use a pump action.

Don't seem myself buying another semi auto to be honest, my Remington does the job perfectly.

Same here. I won't bother with another auto. In a haid they are brill, no need to break them to load n' all.

U.

Pumps can be great if they are the only gun you use otherwise the chances of you nearly snapping the trigger trying for a second shot, wondering why it hasn't gone bang are high, then you remember that you hadn't cycled it but it's too late now.

And you still do that again the next time :oops:

I don't buy that bro, I can pick a single trigger, double trigger, two stage, single stage, release aid or three fingers and never get it wrong!

U :)

I would love a 37 or a BPS.

BPSes are highly thought of but, in my humble opinion, the M37 is the best there is. But it's not "perfick". For example:

I noticed the other day my 870 20g express has split it's stock where the wrist fits to the reciever on both sides

Funny you should say that. My main (S.1 PSG) M37 has the same problem but, in its defence, guns get *very* hard use when used for PSG.

My cousin epoxied it back together for me but I went ahead and got a buddy to bring a Choate stock back from the States. Can't say that I like it, unfortunately, so I'll probably be puting the old wooden stock back on and hope for the best.

Regards,

Mark.

Edited by ChAoS

I ended up with a Mossberg 835 31/2 magnum I have 2 chokes 1/2 and skeet and so far I only shoot clays.

I call it the pump action challenge to try to get a pair :) (I shoot for fun)

Havn't fired any magnum cartriges yet.

I've a box of those 63grm three and a half inch magnums in my safe. Still haven't plucked up the courage to pattern them yet.