Best snack to give your dog whilst working

docky

A good feed the night before a hard days work. Then, I always cook some sausages up, cut them into small bits & give to my dogs LITTLE bits now & then (I think that dogs get their enegry from fatty meat in the wild, but don't want to over-do feeding them when working them hard as this may lead to digestion problems), & then whats left of them after working while I am having my meal. Then a good feed after they get home & are dried off etc.

Do not feed sausages or butties!! They are rubbish food for dogs (and humans unless quality is assured)

If you need treats with good nutritional value, hard grilled liver is a good choice.

Do not treat a dogs digestive system as you do your own, it can lead to major problems further down the line

Sausages are fatty, dogs run on fat, never done mine any harm on working days.

Edit to say, I agree with 955i's recommendation of liver cake but if I buy something specific it is kronch bars. If I don't have any then sausages have served me well, meat only mind, not sausage rolls or the like. Each to their own.

Edited by WGD

Mine gets her normal breakfast at 7 then we rarely start before 9.30 and she has some more food at lunch along with anything she scrounges off beaters and then a hearty meal after. No issues and certainly is the last dog standing so to speak. Ignore the banana idea WGD's sausages would be fine, some depends on the type of dog spaniels are one of the worst for having issues during beating and most people I know do trickle feed them something during the day

You can split the food so you do a half feed early, mine usually doesn't eat all hers in one go and saves it so does it herself, you don't want to give a lot during the day just trickle feed. Even just a normal complete feed biscuit is fine in small and regular amounts.

Mine get a normal feed in the morning, like al4x that is early - about 06:00 and an hour before I travel. I leave the house between 7 and 8 depending on where I am going. Most work is picking up so it is generally between 09:30 and 10 before the dogs have to do anything. I don't agree with not feeding on a shoot day, just get up early enough to feed the dogs!

Edit: I feed mine twice a day anyway so they are not getting their daily allowance in one go.

Edited by WGD

:no:

Oh well thats helpful.

As much as I know you LOVE links - here's one for you to read.

http://wendtworthcorgis.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/bananashealthiest-mood-food-snack-dogs-love-them/

Bananas contain three natural sugars – sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.

Assuming your dog eats them which mine wouldn't, just another link to a doggy crackpot. we're talking about keeping working dogs going during an entire day of strenuous exercise, some breeds have more issues than others with coping with a day beating with lots of variables. This weather for one is going to make keeping calorie intake high a priority, I can see the weight drop off mine during a day but she is the extreme end activity wise and that is despite eating well.

Oh well thats helpful.

As much as I know you LOVE links - here's one for you to read.

http://wendtworthcor...dogs-love-them/

Sorry I still would not give mine Bananas,

I work dogs not chimps, so a small feed in the morning, then a good feed at night of their normal food is enough I think.

I have read the link, you have got to love these nutters

​Just asked one the labs if she fancies a bit of fruit for her dinner, she was not very impressed

"SHARE A BANANA WITH YOUR DOG, IT WILL GIVE YOU BOTH A BOOST" :lol:

post-47459-0-85014200-1358427607_thumb.jpg

Edited by Actionpigeons

Banana - full of energy!

Dogs love bananas and nutritional research suggests bananas, a healthy snack for people, may also be health, brain, and mood-food for your show dog!

sorry i dont see this as def.......... dont think i would....it's not what they are used to eating....... it's a dog why not dog food

my lab is prob like everyone else's he loves my slippers but i wouldnt feed him them

Mines fed in the morning and evening, that's it.

If she's worked hard all day then she'll get a bit extra with her evening feed and a good days rest the following day.

spot on simplzz :good: :good: :good:

Sorry I still would not give mine Bananas,

I work dogs not chimps, so a small feed in the morning, then a good feed at night of their normal food is enough I think.

I have read the link, you have got to love these nutters

​Just asked one the labs if she fancies a bit of fruit for her dinner, she was not very impressed

"SHARE A BANANA WITH YOUR DOG, IT WILL GIVE YOU BOTH A BOOST" :lol:

Gosh the picture paints a thousand words- look at that dogs face :lol:

There's always a first time for a dog to run out of steam, i don't tend to worry about the labs but spaniels a different story - they don't know when they're beat.

seconded its well documented through the shooting press that you need to be careful with spaniels.

I've a mate who had serious issues with his collapsing £600 of tests later the vet still had no ideas this wasn't just shoot days, the only change was going from feeding her wag to something better. In desperation back to wag and she hasn't done it since and at 14 now she is almost a peg dog :lol:

Bananas contain high levels of potassium and an adult human should limit their intake to not greater than two a day, feeding them to a dog sounds a bit too wacky and could be dangerous by the same counts. (full skins seem fine! :lol: ) sorry don't do the latter its a private joke! The only thing with feeding during work is if you give more than a little you can risk a twisted gut and maybe the life of your dog so feed sparingly. From experience half a Gingsters pasty does no harm even followed by a mini pork pie to a lab size dog - under no circumstances give them kishe as its a bit too girly to bring that stuff shooting- sorry again! :whistling: you see I cant even spell it! but a handful of its normal food is far better. Some dogs will feed themselves on evening flight after a full day if they get too hungry (another private joke, sorry :rolleyes: )