"Cheap" air rifle recommendation

Blackstone

I have toyed with the idea of a cheap air rifle for ages, as I know nothing about them can someone tell me if all the bits are available to re-furb HW's and how hard they are to work on? (assuming they need it in the first place)

The last time I did any of this was on a BSA Meteor and once the spring was compressed it seemed pretty straight forward.

Definatly be a used HW95 for me. I cant recomend them enough. I have rifles come and go that are £1000 guns yet my HW95 will never be leaving me. It does the job and does it very will if you do your part as the man behind it

Still got mine i bought when i was 15.........unlikely to need much work unless seal etc broken. loads of info on them and tuning kits which for the cost £50-60 might as well do if stripping it down just make sure you have access to a chrono if doing anything to the internals.

http://www.air-rifle-tuning.com/v-mach/Home.html

http://www.woodfield-gcp.co.uk/springtuning-weihrauch.htm

I have toyed with the idea of a cheap air rifle for ages, as I know nothing about them can someone tell me if all the bits are available to re-furb HW's and how hard they are to work on? (assuming they need it in the first place)

The last time I did any of this was on a BSA Meteor and once the spring was compressed it seemed pretty straight forward.

Plenty of tuning kits and parts available for the HW springers , easy to work on with plenty of online advice available , for tuning kits V-mach is highly recommended if a little expensive , but then the best usually is, also the welsh willie kits are suppose to be decent .

I personally can recommend sandwell field sports , not sure how much they charge for a tuning kit for DIY but the will fit the kit and tune the gun for about £65 , this can be done by post if you so wish.

But when the gun you buy secondhand is a couple of hundred quid out of a budget of £200 that leaves you nothing else. By going to a gunsmith I have recommended, buying a Hatsan 55 or 60S, he then has £100 for scope, mounts, gunbag, pellets, you know a beginners shooting outfit!

Edited by secretagentmole

But when the gun you buy secondhand is a couple of hundred quid out of a budget of £200 that leaves you nothing else. By going to a gunsmith I have recommended, buying a Hatsan 55 or 60S, he then has £100 for scope, mounts, gunbag, pellets, you know a beginners shooting outfit!

My post was in answer to Dunkield who asked specifically about the availability of tuning parts etc for HW guns , he has not mentioned a budget .

my reply to the OP was much the same as yours , that for a low budget the hatsans are hard to beat.

My apologies Fenboy (born in the Isle of Ely Hospital? I was, when it has a Meteor on gate duty outside...)!

Problem is HWs with a scope and bag for £200 usually need a good £70 or so worth of work doing to them! At least a new gun has 12 months warranty, you know how it will have been treated and the 55 and 60 are built to survive the maintenance skills of a Tirkish peasant farmer!

I don't think BSA ever made a gun called the "Lightening"

They did make one called the "Lightning" which is very different to something which could be described as a change of colour tone possibly as a result of chemical intervention by bleach or acid.

Oh well, the year on year improvements in our education system never fail to amaze me. Another 50 years and we'll have an alphabet that allows teenagers to write in grunts and shrugs.

Thanks for the input.

I always thought this was a shooting forum though, not one for learning better spelling?

Silly me.

HW95k would get my vote, if you can get a good one. But Mole's right, a new gun does have the appeal of an intact warranty, should anything go wrong in the first year you're covered. You won't get a better one than the Hatsan for that money newso definitely have a look at it

Edited by chrisjpainter

but, does it need to experience the descent of the uterus into the pelvic cavity, which occurs toward the end of pregnancy, changing the contour of the abdomen and facilitating breathing by lessening pressure under the diaphragm - the definition I got when i was looking up the weird definitions of lightening...