Using a PCP in sub zero temperatures

Farmer-of-the-Futre

Hey all, I was thinking about going out with the S410 later today to have a smack at some squizzers and pigeons. On that thought I wondered what effects this cold weather would have on the gun. I've heard colder weather dulls the power of pcps but are they still safe to use in freezing tempratures?

Edited by Farmer-of-the-Futre

Yeah! knock yourself out. The energy is slightly decreased it seems, but it's certainly safe to use. if you've got a chrono, run it over to have a quick check, i've been looking on some forums on this question and it seems that, depending on the gun, people are reporting a drop of about 1ft/lb in energy. I've left my Mk4 in the conservatory with the door open, which will cool it down pretty quickly, then i'll fire off a few shots and see what's what. Although the power might drop, it's not going to be unsafe, you might have to compensate and aim higher than normal a touch, but not a lot; 1 ft/lb won't make an inordinate amount of difference

Edit: just ran my Mk4is over a chrono after having it in the cold for half an hour or so (in the conservatory by the open window!) and it had dropped from 11.5 to about 11.2. All ten shots were between 11.10 and 11.35 though, so still nice and consistent. Obviously that's an electronically regulated gun, i don't know if that'd make a great deal of difference. Let us know how you get on!

Shot my HW100 yesterday morning in -6 and it was fine. Mr G Squirrel would testify to this but hey may find it hard with a lump of lead between his ears and Miss W Pigeon definatley would agree but she is finding it hard to concentrate. Both shot at 35 yards and the shot went exactlty where I wanted it....

So..... shoot away and have fun.

Just out of interest I did a shot string over the chrono on my S200 after filling it and leaving it in the shed for a few hours.

On average each shot was down by 10 fps compared to the figures I get when I fill and shoot from a warm room.

Not really enough to make a significant difference in the sweet spot but I found when the drop off occurred it was sudden and pronounced.

Yep, tempreature afects pcps in different ways. I read an article on this somwhere a while back. Apparantly guns with a large buddy bottle are more affected. One of the worst offenders was the daystate air ranger.

The biggest drop of all guns tested was the HW100, this was because of the grease used on internals was not rated to low tempreatures and goes almost solid. The drop was from something like 11.8 down to 9. This is fixed with a simple strip and re lube. If you google it about the hw100, theres loads of threads across the internet telling you how to sort this issue with the HW100 series