Daystate Huntsman

Eskoky

Try before you buy if you are considering spending over £700 on an Airgun that will ,at best,only marginally outperform one that costs £200 less(and thats a reasonable scope paid for),I agree that the Daystates are superb rifles but at sub 12ft/lb its more to do with owning a top marque gun than a better one.The bolt action may be as smooth as a Baboons ball bag but that counts for nothing 40 yards down the lane where Roger the Rabbit is sitting,I had a Logun pro 2 that ,according to the majority of critics,had the smoothest bolt ever on an Airgun-but I could'nt hit a barn door with it.IMHO Daystate have lost the plot with 100 ft/lb and electronic triggers,they seem to make money by bringing out several limited edition rifles each year in small batches so that collectors pay over the odds to have one-but thats just my opinion.In 99% of the situations you will encounter whilst shooting the 410 will match anything that the Daystate is capable of.Tin hat on.....

Try before you buy if you are considering spending over £700 on an Airgun that will ,at best,only marginally outperform one that costs £200 less(and thats a reasonable scope paid for),I agree that the Daystates are superb rifles but at sub 12ft/lb its more to do with owning a top marque gun than a better one.The bolt action may be as smooth as a Baboons ball bag but that counts for nothing 40 yards down the lane where Roger the Rabbit is sitting,I had a Logun pro 2 that ,according to the majority of critics,had the smoothest bolt ever on an Airgun-but I could'nt hit a barn door with it.IMHO Daystate have lost the plot with 100 ft/lb and electronic triggers,they seem to make money by bringing out several limited edition rifles each year in small batches so that collectors pay over the odds to have one-but thats just my opinion.In 99% of the situations you will encounter whilst shooting the 410 will match anything that the Daystate is capable of.Tin hat on.....

I agree with your thoughts on the wolverine, can't see the point in 100 fpe air rifle. Might as well get a .22 rimfire. As for the electronic triggers, I've got my reservations to be honest. Maybe great when new, but a few years down the line who knows? Thanks for the replies fellas.

The 100ft lb is for a .303 which requires just a whimsy more oomph to get a shift on than a ,177 (even a 20 grain .177)!

The electronic trigger is an unusual device admittedly, but once you are used to tiny clink of switch, the blasted spring release on a conventional rifle begins to sound more like a spring actioned.

They are a top marque, bargains can be had. You can shop around and pick up a mark 1 Huntsman for little more than a single shot Ultra, if you are prepared to travel.

Until you have tried a Daystate do not knock them, yea, veritably, they can shoot the hairs off a gnat's knacker at 35 metres!

I did a 10 shot 35 metre group using an X2 in .177 that was under a 5p piece in diameter! No other air weapon I have owned since has ever been as accurate as that! That includes BSA and HW rifles! Though I have not tried to get a grouping like that using the mark 3 as I need a better scope (feeble old eyes etc etc)!

Oh my Mark 3 that I got at Christmas is 4 years old, batteries fine, trigger fine, need a better scope!

Edited by secretagentmole

I have to agree that i cant see the point in the Wolverine, its rediculus, how ever shows they are capable and compitant at anything they set there mind too !

The electric trigger is brillient and possibly the only thing that could better the Huntsman, infact, thats blooming good idea....an electric triggered Huntsman, smaller lighter and more traditional looking than a MK4 with all the huntsmans beauty and with the benifits of the lovely electric trigger of the MK4 ! Wonder if I can paintant that idea :D LOL

I agree Salop Sniper, Huntsman and e trigger :good: Come on you luddites, get over the electronic trigger :lol: Its a switch, like a mouse click. How many times have you had to replace the click button/mouse on your computer? Its a masterpiece :good: The rest of the electronics comprise of a battery and a circuit board that will come out in 2 mins, fit in a small jiffy bag. In the unlikely event you ever do have an issue, due to Daystates excellent customer service it will in all probability be back by return of post. It would be a hundred times more complicated replacing a piston seal on a springer :yes: Greater accuracy is more easily achieved by a good trigger. I think Daystate are in a class of their own on this one :yes:

Edited by turbo33

I personally agree with what the gents have mentioned about the Wolverine in 100ft/lb.

To use an Air-rifle that only has 10-15 shots max per charge is not my cup of tea really.

IMO if they wanted to make a 100 ft/lbs rifle then IMO they should have built the rifle around their 500cc bottle rifles to allow for more shots per charge.

I personally agree with what the gents have mentioned about the Wolverine in 100ft/lb.

To use an Air-rifle that only has 10-15 shots max per charge is not my cup of tea really.

IMO if they wanted to make a 100 ft/lbs rifle then IMO they should have built the rifle around their 500cc bottle rifles to allow for more shots per charge.

I think it was a simple business decision. The yanks can't get enough of them and apparently Daystate can't make them fast enough. I wouldn't mind being in that situation in business!! I get more satisfaction from my air rifles than shotguns, but the rimfires take away the need for a Wolverine for me.

Agree with turbo33. What would you shoot in the UK with 100ftlb .303 ! Not good for fox and .22 30ftlb FAC air is fine for bunnys and on bunnys the .303 wouldnt do anything that the FAC .22 wouldnt. I really cant see why anyone would go over 40ftlb anyway and i suspect 90% of FAC is under 30ftlb.

Whoa boys, bear in mind that the 303 pellet is 50 grain, moving at 950 feet per second, it is meant for a bit more than bunnies, I would guess this is for hog hunting, something that can be enjoyed in Britain as there are many wild boars escaped from farms all over the place, The Forest of Dean is a great place to go Boar Hunting these days!

Why ,on earth,would anyone spend all that money on an Airgun when you can buy a far more suitable powder burner for a fraction of the price.When you compare the Wolverine on a pounds per ft/lbs scale it does'nt look such a wise buy.I.m guessing that you could buy a 12g gun capable of firing slugs for the price of the Wolverines recoil pad,and I know for sure which gun I would rather be standing behind when an angry porker decides that your gonads are a great place to polish his tusks.BTW-a 12g slug is easily capable of producing over 2k ft/lb of energy.

Edited by bruno22rf

huntsman, excellent build quality only problems every have been with the magazines not indexing. the question about the lamp 'how do I find it' it does it's job but would necessarily by another one new

s410, I have also and remain accurate as always, magazine excellent, if cost is an issue and you have to decide between the two there's nothing wrong with the 410

I do like my 510 because of the side lever, it's faster than a bolt

I had an Air Ranger Tactical .22 for 3 months and sold it to purchase an HW100 .177 instead.

Prefer the mag on the HW100 and the lever is much smoother than the Air Ranger bolt. Less shot count but high shot count isn't needed for hunting.

If I get another air rifle, I'll get the Huntsman or an Air Arms 410s super lite hunter :)

• 4 months later...

The wife decided she wanted a .177 spring powered rifle recently. She sold her Huntsman to Simpsons of Newmarket (was a right handed Huntsman Classic and she is left eyed and ambidextrous). Well we went in there as we were passing (getting bits and pieces for our holidays), I happened to see a Huntsman Classic on the shelf, in the desired .177 calibre, but lo, the bolt was on the left, as was the stock, it was left handed.

In the very shop she sold her right handed to a couple of years ago was a left handed Huntsman Classic, a beauty in Walnut, she bought it!

The wife decided she wanted a .177 spring powered rifle recently. She sold her Huntsman to Simpsons of Newmarket (was a right handed Huntsman Classic and she is left eyed and ambidextrous). Well we went in there as we were passing (getting bits and pieces for our holidays), I happened to see a Huntsman Classic on the shelf, in the desired .177 calibre, but lo, the bolt was on the left, as was the stock, it was left handed.

In the very shop she sold her right handed to a couple of years ago was a left handed Huntsman Classic, a beauty in Walnut, she bought it!

Well done mrs mole, that was a stroke of luck eh?

Why ,on earth,would anyone spend all that money on an Airgun when you can buy a far more suitable powder burner for a fraction of the price.When you compare the Wolverine on a pounds per ft/lbs scale it does'nt look such a wise buy.I.m guessing that you could buy a 12g gun capable of firing slugs for the price of the Wolverines recoil pad,and I know for sure which gun I would rather be standing behind when an angry porker decides that your gonads are a great place to polish his tusks.BTW-a 12g slug is easily capable of producing over 2k ft/lb of energy.

Why, would i spend all that money on my wolverine, simple answer is because i can, its great fun to shoot

and it devastates prey, i also shoot 37 fpe air ranger .22 for most fac air shooting

i also have the huntsman classic in .177 and .20 cal both these are sub 12fpe but are amongst my fav guns

to shoot.

atb brian

• 2 weeks later...