Lamping

Pigeon Pieman

Decided to put up a few pictures of my lamping exploits. First, is my 'bunny bus'. The headlights and spotlights are covered with red acetate sheeting. It is a great help for finding Mr Bunny as it makes his eyes shine vivid red :lol:

The lower driving lamps are left uncovered and can be used independantly of the red lights. They have proved especially useful for picking up (if brighter light is needed) or for short spells of road work between fields/farms.

As a left hander, I usually shoot from the passenger window, but the Suzuki does have a fold down windscreen if required - bl**dy cold option at present!! :lol::lol:

post-11-1067434370.jpg

The business end :lol:

As I use the jeep for things other than just shooting bunnies, I use a boot liner and old waterproof membrane sheets to protect the inside upholstery.

The trays are spread enough to allow each tray to be filled without juggling them around. We always start with the top one as, if we didn't, the bottom one would be like a blood pool! :lol::lol:

Each bread basket holds 16 rabbits(allows sufficient air flow for speedy cooling). Once three are full we stop and hamstring the contents and hang them to cool. All the farmland I shoot now have trays laid out in various strategic places. :lol:

At the end of the night the rabbits are paunched where they were stored, reloaded into the trays and collected up and taken to a local game dealer. The jeep will actually hold 2 stacks of 6 trays so I can carry a fair few at a time :lol::)

post-11-1067434936.jpg

The 'Control Room' :lol::lol: (should be 'out of control room'!!!)

Everything is really easy to get to. The lamp has a small bracket to keep it up out of the way (the driver is also 'lamper'), the centre consol has a small cubby hole at the top which is perfect for holding 2 x 10 round mags and a box of 50 rounds. Its a perfect angle and they have never spilled out, even on the roughest terrain.

The little shelf - passenger footwell - holds my picking up headlight, spare ammo, rifle cleaning kit and first aid kit - you never know! :lol::lol:

The glovebox is ideal for mobiles, knives, farm maps, FAC, written permissions etc. All in all, I find the Suzuki perfect for my needs and an excellent off-road drive :lol:

post-11-1067435370.jpg

The spoils :):)

Somewhere between by pc and YP is a couple of piccies of 160+ rabbits that were shot on Monday night!! The e mail went and now I can't find it!!

However, the bunnies on this picture were shot last night in a 6 acre paddock joining onto the South Downs. It took around 2 hours to shoot them and was done as a favour to a 'horsey' friend. The numbers are fairly indicative of the Downland rabbit population. So far this season I've shot just over 4000 rabbits and 60 foxes :lol:

Still, suppose it keeps the wolf from the door as it were :lol::lol::lol::lol:

post-11-1067436263.jpg

Col Pol

I really do love the Suzuki Samurai for off road work. It's short wheelbase makes it very stable and sure footed. The four wheel drive train is very solidly built and reliable, with minimal maintenance by the owner, but is simple enough to do yourself if necessary. It's great on wet grass, deep mud, crossing plough and ruts etc. All in all I would recommend one to anyone. :lol::lol:

Also, the rear seats fold forward to give loads of room, the screen folds down, you can change from 4H to 4L on the move, the bodywork is very robust, service parts are cheap, its cheap to tax and insure (only a 1300cc engine) and the seats are comfy too - couldn't say that about a Land Rover, or none I've had anyway!!)

And you can pick them up cheap too. Mine cost me just over £600-00, with new tyres :lol::lol::lol::)

PP

Pigeon Pieman,

It was worth all the effort you took to upload those photos, mate.

It's certanily given me a few ideas for the future.

Have you thought about some sort of rifle rest out of the window or don't you need one ?

One of my mates came up with the idea of a supermarket trolley somehow bolted or whatever onto the front bumper bar, for all the rabbits until you get to paunching them. Any thoughts ??

Snipe,

I do have a rifle rest but don't find it helps much! It is like a rail that curves round from the wing mirror to the door catch, giving a wide arc of fire. The downside is I find myself twisting into uncomfortable positions trying to shoot at 90 degrees tot hew vehicle. I found it increased my wounding rate due to not having a comfy firing position so I don't use it anymore. :lol:

I try to always go for head shots, regardless of distance. The philosophy being ' kill it cleanly, or miss completely'. :lol:

Any basket or bin type device would work well. One option could be to make up a hook over platform (a metal frame supported by two upside down 'j' shaped hangers over the bull bar) that you could put bread baskets on :) I use the bread bins 'cos they give good air circulation, stack well and are free! What you don't want is a pile of squashed rabbits all heaped together at the end of the night. They look aweful and will stay warm for ages. Not such a problem this time of year but in the summer I was finding flies on carcasses at 2 in the morning :lol::lol: The stops for hamstrining make a timely coffee and food stop too :lol:

Very Nice!!

Dads got a Suzuki SJ410 It looks the same as your Samurai. I would recomend them off road dad goes anywere and If it does get stuck its so light you can nearly lift it up! We have got a soft top aswell its also good for getting firewood you can jam it in the back and the soft top neaver seams to rip.

A gamekeeper friends got one I dread to think how much stuffs been shot out of his one its older than ares and its still going strong! :lol:

HG,

acetate sheeting is available from most art/craft shops. It will cost between £1-00 and £1-50 per A4 sheet. Or, if you prefer, available over the internet. I'll send a PM with details if required.

It lasts a fair while. I brought my current sheets 10 months ago. As long as you are careful taking them off they seem pretty robust! :lol: I attach mine with Duck tape or insulation tape.

Cheers

PP :lol: