grand vitara engine management light

Davyo

mine does the same,comes and goes,it is the lamda sensor,i also find if its on before i do an oil change,it goes out after ive done a change,it doesnt affect the way the car performs,just annoying when its in your face when its lit up.............mines a 03 1.6 mate........DAZ

lamda sensor is the usual culprit on the petrol models,if there are two of them, change the one nearest the engine first (this is the one that controls the fueling, the lower one monitors the cat performance) dis-connect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu, sometimes just reseting will knock the mil lamp off for ages so if time is short before the mot, try that, also mil lamps are still not part of a test, they are still pass and advise

sensor in exhaust manifold, 4 wires to it, need 22mm spanner to undo it, make sure its a good fit as it will be tight, once it starts moving they are usually ok to remove, if it feels tight move it backwards and forewards with plenty of wd40 otherwise it will strip the thread

lamda sensor is the usual culprit on the petrol models,if there are two of them, change the one nearest the engine first (this is the one that controls the fueling, the lower one monitors the cat performance) dis-connect the battery for a few minutes to reset the ecu, sometimes just reseting will knock the mil lamp off for ages so if time is short before the mot, try that, also mil lamps are still not part of a test, they are still pass and advise

Cheers mate, Disconnected the battery as you said and it did the trick,hasn't come back on yet

• 7 years later...

A Great and useful article

I had a similar problem on my 2008 Grande Vitara III, 2.0 16V Petrol engine 4x4. The Engine Management Light came on without reason just after I'd finished a Radiator flush and re-fill with Fluid. Fearing the worst, I was ready to absorb the 1 hr diagnostic s fee at my local Suzuki dealer, I was pretty much expecting a large bill, before thankfully reading this thread.

Following the instructions I reset my ECU by disconnection the negative lead on the battery for half a minute. Upon reconnection and engine start up the light went-out. I'm still testing this "fix" long-term but the problem appears to have gone away? And if it returns then I think that now at least I have an idea of where to start; on the lambda sensors.  

• 2 weeks later...

I had an engine management light show on my commuter Car,( Honda Jazz) , and re set it by dis connecting the battery , but eventually it came on again, and again

So I started  buying parts on a 'suck it and see basis' , and the bills started to pile up without success . eg; Lambda x2 ,EGR Valve, etc . I went on for months ,Then I bought an OBD reader that plugs into the cars engine management port (consult google for YOUR car). 

10 Quid of flea bay ,plugged it in to the car ,and it gave me a code. The code description, was 'insufficient EGR Flow' . Again consulted google . Thirty minutes later the inlet manifold was off , all the carbon crud was cleaned out (de -coke), and its been great since . Zero cost.

Moral of the tale . Buy an OBD Code reader , it will tell you what the issue is , and let you clear the codes , and turn the EML off without having to disconnect the battery every time.  (Radio channel and Clock re sets get tedious).

Hope it may help someone .

Edited by Longbower