Webley Scott 410 bolt action, any owners?

hedd-wyn

Do you plan to refurbish the gun ? I would be interested in how you do it

Apparently the condition isn't 'too' bad. If the stock is varnished then I probably will give it a strip and oil it.

Don't get me wrong, I've never done this before but will defiantly keep you posted if I work on it.

Apparently the condition isn't 'too' bad. If the stock is varnished then I probably will give it a strip and oil it.

Don't get me wrong, I've never done this before but will defiantly keep you posted if I work on it.

I have done this to a few airguns in the past with good results..... You've got me thinking now, looks like the .410 is gonna get a make over this weekend :-)

Slightly off topic but I have more fun with my 410 than every other gun I own! Its an old folding belgian double barrelled hammer gun. I think the Webley bolt actions are cracking too. May well be doing a deal for a single barrelled BSA folder this week. Everyone seems to moan about the cost of cartridges and effective range and what not but like others have said, pick your shots, take your time and they are great. Taken a few pigeons and rabbits lately and there is less meat damage than a 12 bore and I think they are much more fun! Enjoy! T

Got to agree, they are cracking guns to use. In this age when us shooters are vilified by the public at large, to say that a gun is 'fun' is seen as wrong, but they are immensely satisfying to shoot.

A friend of mine who shoots once or twice a year was out with me the other week, he had the .410, and afterwards said that it had been his most enjoyable day out shooting ever.

I've been looking at reloading costs - reckon that they can be done for 13-15p per shell, maybe a bit less if doing a fair number at once. Paying £3 per box sounds pretty good, I'll post up if I decide to go down that route

Edited by robbiep

Strange you should say that Robbie, reloading has always interested me and I have been told that reloading the humble 410 is the way forward so this has also been in the back of my mind.

Had a quick stag earlier to see if I could find any reloading kits online, but couldn't find anything!

Very interested in this :)

Edited by hedd-wyn

From some research, and also some advice that I've had, it seriously seems that it is possible to reload for 410s without buying any tools at all. However a RTO tool does seem like a very useful piece of kit.

I'm going to be heading to have a chat with someone who does a lot of rifle reloading in a couple of days, he has done some shotgun loads too, so will see what comes up.

If I do give it a go, will post up the entire process, of course. With disclaimers !

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got one, after some technical hitches.

The gun was bought for £45 and was sent to my RFD in Gwynedd Firearms, now for that price I wasn't expecting a Beretta but on arrival I was asked to pop over to inspect it.

The gun was advertised as 'slightly pitted but well in proof'.... Understatement of the century, the pitting was so bad it was like looking at the moon and seriously doubted that it was in proof at all.

Anyhow the barrel was sent to Valley Arms for further inspection and guess what? It was not in proof.

With a little negotiating and some help form Gwynedd Firearms the seller apologised straight away and agreed to send me a replacement gun in its place.

The new gun arrived today and I'm more than pleased with it, it's in Very Good condition and the stock, bore and blueing is in near perfect condition.

To think that this was meant to be a refurbish project turns out I've got myself a near mint gun for £45!

So bargain hunters these guns can be obtained for less than a night out in Llandudno (even if you have to pull a few strings on the way)

Can't wait to show the old man and take it out on Saturday.

522092_10151243700840872_667954537_n.jpg

Barrel and stock

163322_10151243701090872_984116410_n.jpg

Edited by hedd-wyn

Looking good !

On the reloading side, I've now got a RTO tool and shell holder (made for me by a PW member at a very reasonable price), and will be collecting my various ingredients this weekend. Then it's reloading time, and a full guide up on here (assuming it all goes to plan)

I can see me being banished to my workshop on a permanent basis ...

• 2 years later...

Never owned a W&S 410 but I did briefly own a 9mm but never shot it .

I did however get to work building up 410's, 9mm's and .22's must have put dozens together .It was one of those jobs that double gun apprentices got put on if they were short handed or you had nothing else to do for a couple of days .