Are pigeons intelligent?

The Ghost

I read this about Pigeons, no wonder they are messing with us so much...some humans I know can't do half of this.

Pigeons are considered to be one of the most intelligent birds on the planet and able to undertake tasks previously thought to be the sole preserve of humans and primates. The pigeon has also been found to pass the ‘mirror test’ (being able to recognise its reflection in a mirror) and is one of only 6 species, and the only non-mammal, that has this ability. The pigeon can also recognise all 26 letters of the English language as well as being able to conceptualise. In scientific tests pigeons have been found to be able to differentiate between photographs and even differentiate between two different human beings in a photograph when rewarded with food for doing so.

Corvids are intelligent. Their brain is much bigger than other birds and they can recognise friendly and hostile faces, and hold a grudge for life. So if you shoot at one and miss, it will stay away from you for the rest of its life.

I saw a Jay involved in a test on TV. Something was floating on a glass of water and the bird couldn't reach it. There was a stone and a cork on the side. At first it put the cork in and it made no difference. Then it realised to put the stone in, raising the water level and allowing it to get whatever it was in the glass.

Not sure about pigeons though.

I had a girlfriend in the past who was a scientist. One day, after I had been bemoaning the fact that the pigeons had outsmarted me yet again, she got out a scalpel and dissected a pigeons head and she took out it's brain. It was smaller than a pea.

QED as they say in the scientific community.

I had a girlfriend in the past who was a scientist. One day, after I had been bemoaning the fact that the pigeons had outsmarted me yet again, she got out a scalpel and dissected a pigeons head and she took out it's brain. It was smaller than a pea.

QED as they say in the scientific community.

Did you remind her that size isn't everything? :yahoo:

They may or may not be.

What is interesting tho is if you shoot all the pigeons that come in to a magnet or flapper etc, the ones who are "fooled", then are you left with the ones who weren't tricked (therefore more intelligent?) resulting in offspring who will not be tricked by a whirly? Darwin theory, if you may.

Corvids are intelligent. Their brain is much bigger than other birds and they can recognise friendly and hostile faces, and hold a grudge for life. So if you shoot at one and miss, it will stay away from you for the rest of its life.

I saw a Jay involved in a test on TV. Something was floating on a glass of water and the bird couldn't reach it. There was a stone and a cork on the side. At first it put the cork in and it made no difference. Then it realised to put the stone in, raising the water level and allowing it to get whatever it was in the glass.

Not sure about pigeons though.

Yer i saw that to. It was pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

The real point I was making was.....what do we know about the birds we shoot.

How long do they roost, what time do they head out for breakfast, do they come back to the roost site at 11am for a couple of hours things like that.

We go out to shoot this clever bird....set up a hide and wait...I always think it sits watching us saying...."He has no idea has he".

How long do they roost, what time do they head out for breakfast, do they come back to the roost site at 11am for a couple of hours things like that.

We go out to shoot this clever bird....set up a hide and wait...I always think it sits watching us saying...."He has no idea has he".

They may be sat thinking that, but who has the last laugh, I'm sat in his chow hall all day with a gun, he's going to get hungry sooner or later...........

can`t believe both you think a pigeon talks :P

They may be sat thinking that, but who has the last laugh, I'm sat in his chow hall all day with a gun, he's going to get hungry sooner or later...........

don`t believe both you think pigeons talk :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry, pigeons are certainly not clever. I think they are pretty stupid.

Oh, and pigeons can't talk, either.

Stupid is as stupid does ..

Forest gump theory

Well said mate, everybody thought Forest Gump was stupid, but look at all the money he made from shrimp.... Not a very scientific theory, however I think we can say they are not as intelligent as Forest Gump, if that can be used as a benchmark.... I feel as if we're getting somewhere now.

pigeons are not intelligent how many times have you been having a cuppa and a pigeon lands in the pattern and starts walking about looking at plastic decoys with a rotary going round and round above them .they have a nack to detect movement that all i worry about feeding habits are different depending on area i know theres certain times on the land i shoot that the birds sit up ok there will be the odd lone bird but you can pretty much set your watch by them same with roost depending on wind ,temperature etc there pretty easy to read if you spend enough time watching them

but some days they do just stick 2 fingers up and do wot ever they like ,,,,,,,thats pigeon shooting