smelly dog smelly dog....

Mr Rizzini

I take it your dog has no nose........

I believe that the dog smell comes ultimately from bacteria and yeasts on the dogs coat, that are released when they are in contact with water, similar to the smell you get when it begins to rain on warm days. The answer is to stop getting your dog wet! A dry dog should smell to much and it shouldn't smell of lanolin - that's from sheep.

I take it your dog has no nose........

I believe that the dog smell comes ultimately from bacteria and yeasts on the dogs coat, that are released when they are in contact with water, similar to the smell you get when it begins to rain on warm days. The answer is to stop getting your dog wet! A dry dog should smell to much and it shouldn't smell of lanolin - that's from sheep.

no nose????? I know it is caused by wet skin growing bacteria hence why I dry them straight away after a bath etc but surely there is a way to tame the smell down a bit? No chance of keeping the dog out of water as she love to flush anything anywhere she can reach lol I think if she had wings she would fly up to the roosting birds as well.

cheers for the comments guys

no nose?????

Sorry, its that old joke:

My dog's got no nose

How does is smell?

Terrible!

We have the same problem. Our cocker gets washed off every day at the moment, she is plastered in mud and soaking but the wet dog smell goes after half an hour. We keep her off the rugs or anything that will pick up the smell until she is dry.

I feed mine dry food at the minute, what did you change to matey?

mate i changed to a 70/30% diet of more meat and less dry food in the mixture i now use the sainsburys tripe mix and sainsburys dry food .been using this around a year now and within a few weeks started noticing the difference.also my dogs have a better shine to there coat.bt i must say i very rarely bath them and they are outside dogs.i also give them a change now and again of the meat ie chicken etc.

I think I'll try some lanolin dog shampoo to replace the lost oils etc, My dad has a jack russel but it doesn't smell bad at all so guess your dog that smells of dog comments are a guess to my problem. The dog goes swimming then smells really bad but my current shampoo isn't helping my situation at all so does anyone know of a good shampoo that will kill the bacteria while keeping my dogs coat and skin in tip top condition.

cheers

Falconfn and foxnet22

I think I'll try some lanolin dog shampoo to replace the lost oils etc, My dad has a jack russel but it doesn't smell bad at all so guess your dog that smells of dog comments are a guess to my problem. The dog goes swimming then smells really bad but my current shampoo isn't helping my situation at all so does anyone know of a good shampoo that will kill the bacteria while keeping my dogs coat and skin in tip top condition.

cheers

Falconfn and foxnet22

I used hibiscrub shampoo on the very very rare occasion the dog's meet hose pipe

If you would rather the house smelt fresh, move the dog outside or just put up with it. Its part of owning a dog!

Sorry Big Mat but I have owned a dog for many years and know what owning a dog consist off! Do you ever smell any other house dog smelling like a damp carpet, The answer is NO ! I honestly didn't write the thread for silly and stupid comments like its a dog or a dog that smells like a dog! I was hoping for usefull answers which I have been given a few from sensible people who are trying to help. I was hoping for answers such as a good shampoo or product etc etc. I will wrap my dog in waterproof clothing and spray her with lynx the next time we go rough shooting etc, Cheers for the comment though but I would rather have my dogs clean than put up with it or let them live with a smelly coat :) I would love to see your face if your wife said you had to move outside after coming in from a hard days work ;)

Sorry Big Mat but I have owned a dog for many years and know what owning a dog consist off! Do you ever smell any other house dog smelling like a damp carpet, The answer is NO ! I honestly didn't write the thread for silly and stupid comments like its a dog or a dog that smells like a dog! I was hoping for usefull answers which I have been given a few from sensible people who are trying to help. I was hoping for answers such as a good shampoo or product etc etc. I will wrap my dog in waterproof clothing and spray her with lynx the next time we go rough shooting etc, Cheers for the comment though but I would rather have my dogs clean than put up with it or let them live with a smelly coat :) I would love to see your face if your wife said you had to move outside after coming in from a hard days work ;)

Dirty beasty by whal is a good shampoo for ridding strong odours and is quite a strong shampoo so I wouldn't recomend it if your dog has sensiitve skin

Dirty beasty by whal is a good shampoo for ridding strong odours and is quite a strong shampoo so I wouldn't recomend it if your dog has sensiitve skin

perfect answer mate thanks, Will get a bottle to try, Seems the smell isn't as strong after an hour or so after a bath as someone commented.

Hi try Johnson baby shampoo it dos the job and its ok on sensitive dog all my 5 dogs get bathed in it hope this helps

excellent mate, I thought all the baby stuff taking over the bathroom was useless so happy days looks like my 16 mth old daughter is sharing her products with pepper my springer/wirehair hunting machine.

excellent mate, I thought all the baby stuff taking over the bathroom was useless so happy days looks like my 16 mth old daughter is sharing her products with pepper my springer/wirehair hunting machine.

My Terrier just gets shampoo'd with the same Boots 2in 1 own brand/value shampoo that i use. Being an "everyday" type shampoo it doesn't seem to strip all the oil out of his coat.