RUSTY GUNS

I have one of my gun cabinets on an outside wall and now winter is fast approaching my guns are going to get all rusty again.

I have asked around in the gunshops etc but know one seems to know what to do so this is where you all come in.......... can anyone help me cure the problem?

I don't want to move the cabinet if I can possibly help it, I have heard an old tale of drilling a hole in the cabinet and hooking up a low voltage bulb inside just to take the chill of it.

Any one got any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated?

I am very surprised at that, I use them in my garage tool box and they work really well, all the tools completly rusted before I used them.

Did you put enough patches in the safe? You need several for a large safe.

Can you place some insulation between the safe and the wall? Fibre board (used for laminate floors) would be perfect.

Mark.

I've had the same problem for years tried silica gel packs ( bought from a camera shops) help but don't stop the rust the only thing that I have found that works is to smear 009 all over the barrels and any metal parts you wish to protect repeat the application about every three months if gun is not in use .

This stops the rust if you use it every time you store your guns and is far quicker than reblueing your barrels

:lol:

A small heating element or light bulb will not stop condensation if the cabinet is sealed. Ventilation is what you want.

The condensation moisture has got to go somewhere. Silica Gel will only absorb so much before you have to dry it out and put it back in the cabinet.

(Abbey metal protector ) will keep metal free of moisture, as will Finigan's Waxoil.

They will also take the shine off your barrels for when you're shooting. Dont apply the Abbey product to moving parts.

You can remove them with white spirit.

Or course, good old WD40 will do a good job.

I have no connection with these products!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was once told that lining a cabinet with cedarwood can help prevent rust.

If using silica gel, it soon gets exhausted and you need to drive off the moisture by heating it gently in an oven.

Coat the metalwork and barrels with Rangoon Oil. It is the best for protecting metalwork and durable. It will protect a gun on a rainy day and not rub off. It was formulated to protect metalwork in jungle conditions. Don't put it on too thick, and store your guns with the barrels pointing downwards so that it doesnt run onto the woodwork and spoil it. Run the mop through before you shoot as excess oil can cause stress in the barrels when fired.

Much rust is caused by fluctuations in temperature causing water to condensate on a cooler item (such as the gun barrels). Insulating with carpet etc will help, as will storing guns in (dry) slips, especially if theyre a bit oily inside from use.

:lol: Reading all these posts about corrosion on guns in storage has made me realise how lucky i am.

Purely by coincidence my cabinet is in a fitted wardrobe that is fixed to the adjoining wall which has my neighbours boiler and airing cupboard the other side of it. When i open the door of the wardrobe to take a gun out i am always met with a rush of warm air and needless to say my guns are always in great condition all year round.

Maybe i should offer her a fiver or so towards her gas bill for the good work she is doing for me.

Perhaps not though. :lol:

i use G96 complete gun treatment does all three thing cleans lubricates protects i had some rust on my old o/u that i had been useing on salt water, the gun had spots of rust on it that if i did nouthing about it would have ruined the gun, i put g96 on it and it got the rust i havent had any problems since .it takes a little bit of time to work and kills rust, but it cleaned it up in a few mouths.

about cabnets. carpet sounds a cheap way to go let some air in and if you can heat, with a light blub i can not think of any other way to heat a cabnet i dont have a condsation problem

Have to agree with HG rangoon oil is by far the best for protecting firearms .Silica gel is also good at removing moisture but as mentioned it has to be dryed out in the oven occationally.Have a word with anyone you know who fits machinary for a living as large bags of it are often placed inside equipment which has come from overseas.(german brewing equipment i can vouch for personally thats where i got mine)

Thanks guys I appreciate all your advice and comments.

It is a standard gun cabinet so isn't sealed in the truest sense, ie ventilation can get by the door which is half the problem I think, the room is heated on the central heating system but at night it cools I guess and thats when I get the condensation which is giving me the rust.

All the armouries I have been in have those heating elements that look like 6ft long scaffolding pipes bolted to the ceiling etc with a wire coming out of one end and there guns don't go rusty, so I guess heat or should I say a constant temp is what is required.

Cabela's sell miniture versions of these things for gun cabinets (Am I allowed to mention Cabela's now or not???) but obviously they are only 110v hence the idea I picked up about the light buld option, it would provide heat at a constant rate and bingo, end of rust............... I'd hope.

Does anyone know of these heating elements in the UK or where I could start looking. If it is considered free advertising would someone PM me so we don't fall foul?

Thanks guys

Col Pol

Col Pol I use a heated towel rail in mine, its a tube with a wire coming out like you said and they come in various lengths mine is five foot and cost about £65, sounds a lot to keep um dry but if like me you look at your cabinet and realise just how much all your guns are worth then it scares you into buying one. I got mine from screwfix.

Col Pol,do you have any electricial wholesalers near you?they are called tubular heaters,you can get them from 1 ft up to about 6 and are very cheap,i get them for about £12+the vat i think for the small ones,people use them for frost protection and in airing cupbords etc,i have put one in for a gun cabinate but not actually in the cabinate it was put in the cupbord where the cabinate was fixed and this solved his problem as it kept the cupbord dry and at a more constant temp.Tell me where you are if you like and i'll give you your nearest wholesaler as i have a list from most of my regular ones with branch details :blink:

how the hell do you use tubler heaters for frost protection . i grow kiwifruit and one of our problems is eary frosts on or new buds in the spring we can lose half or income from early frosts, this year we only had one frost when the vines where buding out and i burnt hay bales all that night had a light frost at 1 in the morning then at 5 30 i heap of cold air came done fron high up and froze up on the hard woode of the vines but not on the green tips of the shoots. smoke worked this time round sounds like the type of heater that u need for your gun cabnet