Worsley - Registered Comp - 100 ESP - 03rd Feb

Lockstock...maybe the fiver difference between comp and birds only is irrelevant to you, to some people it's a big deal these days...I know plenty of people who shoot birds only who never used to, they say after four shoots they're in the money...

Out of interest, how much would 100 clays cost a shooting ground ?

Azzurri

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spennymoor charge £20.00 for 100 clays non members &16.00 member a bit more on reg shoot days to pay for refs.

They must be making a profit as the ground keeps getting improved.

£25.00 for 100 is the norm round here.

Cost is becoming a big issue for a lot of folks, most lads I know are shooting the cheapest carts they can get and a lot less clays.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

worsley is the only ground in lancashire for reg sporting, now catton last year was £25 birds only reg

i have shot at worsley ground a lot going back as far as 1995 i paid £28 bird only last year for 100 reg bird only.

i am a full comp member and shoot at oak edge, kingleys moor, coiniston.catton hall, my vise is worsley is asking to much

for it cpsa reg shoot this year and by the way if i want to shoot birds only so be it i have pad the cpsa the full comp rate £63

to do all reg shoots comp/or bird's only

I shot the reg comp at Catton Hall (birds only) last year (actually on the same day at Worsley's last reg comp of the year, 23rd Dec), and from what I ascertained on the day, many shooters shot the Worsley comp first and then made it down to Catton to shoot that comp too (or vice versa), either the comp or birds only.

I'll reiterate that I'm aware of the fact that shooters come in all depths of pocket, and also reiterate that shooting grounds - to one degree or another - are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to pricing. That said, and perhaps others here can be more accurate than me, as I've never shot the ground, but how does the £36 reg comp and £31 B/O at Worsley compare to somewhere, say, like EJ Churchills, or any of the other big grounds down south? Similar or massively different?

I will say that Worsley expected somewhere in the region of 80 shooters at the last comp - all in, they actually got 147 - with something like a 80% shooing the comp and 20% shooting B/O. Worth noting, too, that I've not read or heard any negative press about the shoot either - with possible exception of there being no birds off the High Tower... and that was because that weekend was forecasting the same blustering winds that had plagued the area most of the previous week (I know, I shot there on the previous Wednesday, and some birds were just taken away by the wind and were last seen heading towards Liverpool) - but try as they might, neither the ground's manager, owner, or the guy who set the course for the last registered shoot there can control the elements. So if you remove factors beyond their control, I've still yet to hear any serious negative feedback after the shoot.

And let's be fair - shooting is like any other sport: shooters will always, always, always find a reason to have a moan about something. ;)

Shooting Grounds have my sympathy....sounds like a **** business to be in ;-)

Well let's just say that regardless of what they do, someone will find a reason to moan - and that's not aimed anyone here, either, just a mere statement of fact.

Damned if they do and damned of they don't.

As for how much it costs for 100 ESP birds at Worsley - it's £30 for non-members and £25 for members - and members get an extra 20 clays thrown in on top of that as a loyalty bonus and to make allowance for any no birds.

I understand that not everyone can live within easy striking distance of the ground to shoot there regularly enough to make it viable to become a member, but that's life.

Bren...I'm not having a moan, i'm simply stating that registered shooting is getting expensive and personally I feel entry fees of £36 are getting to the upper limit of what people are willing/prepared to pay.

The big reason the entry's were nearly double Worsleys expectation was because of the guy setting the targets, nothing else, it's that simple believe me !!

As for the price of a hundred clays it's probably in the region of three to four quid depending on the quantities commercial grounds buy at a time.

Azzurri

Bren...I'm not having a moan, i'm simply stating that registered shooting is getting expensive and personally I feel entry fees of £36 are getting to the upper limit of what people are willing/prepared to pay.

The big reason the entry's were nearly double Worsleys expectation was because of the guy setting the targets, nothing else, it's that simple believe me !!

As for the price of a hundred clays it's probably in the region of three to four quid depending on the quantities commercial grounds buy at a time.

Azzurri

Fair comment mate, I never had you pegged as a moaner, and you do make valid points. And yes, I'm aware of the reason the turn out at Worsley was a lot higher than expected was because of the course setter - but, to be fair, after the criticism of the ground on here after the last reg comp there prior to this one, we do at least have to give credit to the powers that be at Worsley for listening to that criticism and then doing something about it - i.e. bring in Brian to set the course. Just one of the things I remember when we wrapped up the shoot was the merciless banter over a brew amongst many of the shooters who'd shot the course - which we're happy is all part and parcel of the sport we love.

Costs for some will, understandably, be an issue/factor in deciding when and where any given shooter can shoot - but I suspect it's always been that way and is not a new phenomenon. Add to that the cost of lead shot going up and down like a whore's draws, and it's just one of the factors which inform any shooter how often they might buy shells and then shoot.

Edited by Lock Stock & Barrel

IT IS JUST SAD THAT I LIVE IN LANCASHIRE AND WORSLEY NOW IS CHARGING TO MUCH FOR CPSA REG SHOOTS

THEY ARE JUST A DEAR GROUND :no:

OK, Remmy, here's an offer - if you meet me at Worsley on any given Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday, I will pay for your 100 birds and shoot the course with you. How's that? :)

I think Brian should work for me for a week to double my takings :lol:

would love to Will but i would eat your money.

OK, Remmy, here's an offer - if you meet me at Worsley on any given Wednesday, Saturday or Sunday, I will pay for your 100 birds and shoot the course with you. How's that? :yes:

im in :good:

Down my - way - 100 clays at a1 Sporting Ground - 32 quid.

AC Sporting Targets - 26p per clay (members). Can't recall the non-member rate - probably around 30p.

So really not too far off.

I would put more blame on the government than anyone else. I wonder what kind of business rates they must pay - not to mention getting insurance and all the other associated costs with running a business let alone one dealing with firearms. I suspect that most of these guys just make a living and do it for the love of the sport.

Down my - way - 100 clays at a1 Sporting Ground - 32 quid.

AC Sporting Targets - 26p per clay (members). Can't recall the non-member rate - probably around 30p.

So really not too far off.

I would put more blame on the government than anyone else. I wonder what kind of business rates they must pay - not to mention getting insurance and all the other associated costs with running a business let alone one dealing with firearms. I suspect that most of these guys just make a living and do it for the love of the sport.

Remember 20% goes to the VAT man.

webber