BSA or Air Arms???

Matt the Pigeon Shooter

I had a air arms TDR and a regulated ultra and had to sell one on. I sold the air arms. Few things that swayed my descision.

AA thin barrel and poor blueing.

**** little safety (i just removed ultras one)

AA 40 shots, ultra 75 (now 100 as ive converted it to .25 ;) )

Then the bit that sold it, over the chronograph the TDR was awfull, one of the most inconsistent guns ive seen. I done a quick google and found i was only 1 of many with the same problem.

Now i said i would never buy Air Arms again, but, yesterday a new walnut prosport in .177 made its way into my car boot. WOW is all i can say, needs a bit of a fettle, but should come out amazing.

What are you using your rifle for by the way? Targets? Hunting? Rabbits, rats, pigeons ect

I'll be after pigeons and rabbits at around 30 yards. Just been into my local gun shop and they have priced up a scorpion multi shot carbine, BSA scope, silencer and a fill bottle for £550 all brand new. They have a .22 and a .177 in stock so I'm still up in the air about caliber size!!

Another vote for the s410 from me. Ive had mine for 5 years and its been brilliant. I service it myself each year for pennies - a service isnt really needed, but i like to look after it. I find its pellet on pellet accurate at 45 yards no problem at all. I get more shots than i`ll ever need on a hunting trip. I find I just top it up with air every 2 or 3 trips.

Ive measured mine on a chrono and there is very very little variation in the power output consistancy on mine. Ive got it set to 11.5 and after the first couple of shots it seems to settle down nicely using air arms diablo field 5.52 pellets. Mines a .22.

I went for the carbine version as its lighter & easier to handle. Also you can shoot from a vehicle easier. No difference in accuracy, and the shot count difference is irrelevant really as long as you have enough for your hunting trip.

The best thing I like about the s410 is that it holds its value. Looking at the for sale prices, they have hardly changed at all over the last 2 years! In fact, I could probably sell mine for virtually what I paid for it 5 years ago!

Ive lost count of the number of rabbits, magpies & pigeons ive had with mine, and even now im amazed by how accurate it is. You just point, workout the hold over / hold under, and pull the trigger. I can hit any target from about 10 yards out to 50 yards without even thinking.

The BSA has good reviews from owners, and not having used one much I cant really directly compare the 2. But, id check out things like resale, servicing, adjustment of power (to make sure its within the legal amount), number of shots and owners opinions before forking out cash.

Edited by jackinbox99

He might have went on personal preferance after holding them himself. At the end of the day both are good guns and will do the job with ease, but if you go into a shop and connect with one but not the other, your not going to buy the one that doesnt feel right

Thats a fair enough point PP, but the he could do that anyway without asking peoples advice. There was a thread on here along the same lines a while ago. The op wanted loads of advice, settled on a s510. I pm'd him with one on another site, total bargain, found the chaps email, passed it on. The op didn't even have the courtesy to drop me a pm and say thanks. After bending everyones ear about the s510, budget, bla,bla, went and bought a new HW100, :hmm: He will know who he is :yes: . I just don't see the point in them asking for advice if its mostly going to be ignored. We are only trying to be helpful :yes:

Matt, its kind of pointless asking for help and advice as to which to choose, BSA or AA S410, if 6 people say BSA and 14 say S410, and you completely ignore the replies and go to the gunshop for a BSA :hmm: Am I the only one thinking I won't bother next time someone asks :hmm:

With you on that one. :oops:

Thats a fair enough point PP, but the he could do that anyway without asking peoples advice. There was a thread on here along the same lines a while ago. The op wanted loads of advice, settled on a s510. I pm'd him with one on another site, total bargain, found the chaps email, passed it on. The op didn't even have the courtesy to drop me a pm and say thanks. After bending everyones ear about the s510, budget, bla,bla, went and bought a new HW100, :hmm: He will know who he is :yes: . I just don't see the point in them asking for advice if its mostly going to be ignored. We are only trying to be helpful :yes:

With you on that one. :oops:

turbo i 100% agree with you mate, you tell them your own personal experiences and what for ???, if you ask me this thread has been a total waste of our precious time

:hmm: :hmm:

That's forums!

Excellent thanks guys apart from the stuck up people who can't accept that I didn't go with their choice. After being in the gun shop and using the scorpion and the s410 I decided that the scorpion felt better and more natural to use and hold. How can anyone fault someone else for being more comfortable with a certain gun!!!! I asked for some advice and personal opinions, I didn't ask for you to choose for me though. I thank everyone on this thread for your help and opinions. All the best with the new year and more rabbits!!

Excellent thanks guys apart from the stuck up people who can't accept that I didn't go with their choice.

that is exactly why probably myself and 80% of people who gave their opinions to your question would feel like we have wasted our time,you asked for our opinions ( matt) and we gave them and i must say 80% gave the opinion that the air arms s410 would have been the better rifle,now if the BSA felt better to yourself then good on you,its your cash and you spend it how you feel my friend,but to then stating we are stuck up people i certainly think this was a bit harsh

why did you ask for our opinions matt when you could of just gone the gun shop and bought a gun like you did ???.but to then slate the guys who feel like you have totally wasted their time well bud i personally think you are out of order to slate us all and i and probably the rest of the lads who gave their time and knowledge to you will certainly ignore any future posts that you decide to waste our time with

Glad that you have found a rifle that you like,just dont challenge anyone with a 410 to a competition!! In time you will realise your mistake and I am willing to bet that if,in a couple of years time,you answer a similar post to your original one on here,you will advise the member to buy the 410.

fruity read the topic from the start,, on this topic the s410 was the better choice of rifle to the op,but he ended up with a bsa

i certainly see where bruno is coming from and understand his comment but hey dont take a wisemans talk as holy

i think his comment was aimed at the op,,not bsa owners,but seemed to touch your nerve ???

Edited by evo