Any ideas appreciated on cover crops

Evening all,

We have several game crops on our shoot and this year was a bad year the same as eveybodys I suspect with the weather, we are situated fairly high up and the soil is pretty poor what we have been given for the crops, we mainly grow triticale but doesn't provide enough cover or shelter late on in the season as we get hit hard by wind, so was thinking of starting to put in artichokes mainly for a windbreak and better cover as artichokes grow in poor soil conditions, we have plenty of manure to put down prior to ploughing and planting, so if anyone has any idea's on other crops what would grow in poor soil and provide shelter would be grately appreciated. Also I know artichokes takes at least two seasons to establish and pretty expensive to buy but need thinning out every two or three years as it can get too thick for game and beaters.

Thanks in advance.

CTS.

Canary grass makes a great windbreak and last for years once established.. You said it is poor soil, but cannot the manure you have access to make that into good soil ? If so Kale with a bit of triticale and quinoa in the mix.

Chicory is pretty good but I do not know what it needs for optimum growth, or how effective as a windbreak. But for a low maintainance cover crop a good patch of Chicory with a windbreak of Canary grass would fit the bill although it has no feed value.

Thanks for the reply Scolopax should have said in post its going to be the first year of using manure as the shoot is changing in to our full control, a good friend of mine said soil preperation is the key, I know kale has been tried but never really took off but might be different now with the manure.

Soil pH will be critical for kale, along with high fertiliser requirement, need for a fine clean seed bed and constant monitoring for weeds and pests such as slugs which are often overlooked.

Forage rape is a good alternative and can be a better bet being typically more vigorous and inclined to grow past weeds and pests better than kale.

Don't plant too early. A late crop that hits the ground running and keeps going will always beat an early crop that gets checked by cold wet conditions. I have planted as late as 23rd July and still achieved good crops for 1st October, even at over 1000 foot altitude.

Forage rape, linseed and triticale/oats with a bit of mustard which helps deter flea beetle in the brassica element ended up being my standard mix.

We have used artichokes in heavy ground for maybe 20 years, we have been moving away from them for the last 10 and now only have one drive left with them. they dont hodl and have zero feed value. In years 3 onward they get to thick.

Kings are very good, suggest you talk to them, down here I use chickory as well as standard game crops and HLS scheme wild bird mixes, disaster for them this year though. canary grass is used by a friend on his shoot to good effect, holds birds well.

A