Death Sentence Woman to Sue UK Government!

m3vert

*** it just gets worse! She smuggles drugs gets found guilty and sentenced to death, NOW she is going to sue the UK government for not helping her out!! All thanks to Reprieve!! I really hope this is kicked right into touch from the very beginnning!!

BBC Website states "Sandiford was sentenced to death and is suing the UK Foreign Office for not supporting her appeal"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21240673

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get why people would want to import drugs into Indonesia?

Surely you would be better off importing drugs into some softer Euro Zone country where there's hard currency, more money available and to be made and softer drugs laws?

EDIT

In fairness if the legal claim issued puts a rocket up the foreign office then all well and good - they are there for a reason and one day any one of us may need to call upon them. It seems that 1 appeal document wasn't filed in time and so she's going to get death by firing squad notwithstanding that the prosecution were only looking for 15 years. Something went wrong there.

Besides, I wouldn't get too excited about a foreign trial and firing squad as having justice served. Corruption and planting of evidence is rife out there. If she had better advice, she would have got with the "bung" earlier and in the right amount.

Edited by Mungler

She's got no money.

If you were a successful drug lord you would make sure you could afford a lawyer and a lawyer that could get the right bit of paper in on time to miss the firing squad

Personally, I'm not that fussed about her. It could well be a tragic case that her family were threatened and she was forced into it or even that the old bill fitted her up. Fact of the matter I don't know her and lots of bad things go on in the world every day.

From a selfish perspective, if I went on holiday in that neck of the woods I wouldn't want to end up on the wrong side of a fit up or miscarriage of Justice and that would mean the local foreign office chap pulling his finger out and doing his job for me.

Something went wrong here, and it's worth it being sorted out for all British citizens that travel abroad.

Edited by Mungler

Yeah, I can see that working. I'm sure Avon Barksdale or Marlo Stanfield would have been shaking in their boots to get a visit from plod about an utterly deniable and unproven threat.

:lol:

Yes but with the info provided she could of done the trafficking and been monitored by customs/ police until they had enough evidence

Hold on she was capable of working with the authorities AFTER she was caught by setting up those who got her to carry the drugs!! funny that.

Maybe had she went to them earlier she would have my sympathy, she didn't so she doesnt! Get that gun loaded and her tied to the pole for me :good:

People can threaten families from prison too remember. The world these people live in isn't governed by the norms and values the rest of us assume. Sad but true.

So therefore anyone approached by these criminals would do as she done? Would you have? No I dont think so Thunderbird.

Let me put a different slant on her story. Maybe just maybe she trafficked the drugs for the antique dealer for some time and made herself a few quid along the way, which she spent on herself and her family OR she had a wee addiction herself and as a result of this she spent all her cash and was broke, so ran some more drugs for the guy she ended up setting up in the sting operation???? Offcourse I could be wrong and she and her family are 100% innocent members who were chosen at total random by a drug lord to smuggle drugs after the drugs lord threaten to kill her Son?? Oh wait did her Son not owe someone money?? wonder what that was for? Most banks dont threaten to kill you if you dont pay them back! :no:

So therefore anyone approached by these criminals would do as she done?

I didn't suggest that for one moment did I? I just suggested they live in a rather different world than we do and threats don't go away just because a 'ringleader' goes inside.

Would you have? No I dont think so Thunderbird.

But it's rather a moot point though, as I would be highly unlikely to be approached by them in the first place. The point I'm making is that it isn't as simple as just reporting it and refusing to do the job. It never is.

So...from what I understand she is suing because she can't get a lawyer to represent her at her appeal and thinks the FO should be helping her find one.

But she has found a lawyer to do some suing for her?

I'm not sure whether that tells us more about the villain or the legal profession.

I realise a death penalty lawyer and a suey lawyer are probably quite different animals but it sounds like a legal firm or doogoding organisation somewhere has their priorities a bit wonky.

Sorry, but she got caught doing something that she knew could result in a harsh punishment, and without doubt she knew the maximum penalty could be death. She gambled and lost, that is the life of drug trafficking be it a long one or in her case a little shorter than she expected, Maybe.

as for her defence lawyer, well what can we say. They will obviously get a fair pay out, either way.

IMO as guilty as she is.

Edited by Dougy

You're all missing the point, but don't let that get in the way of bashing lawyers and backing the death penalty in notoriously corrupt Country :lol:

The foreign office is there for everyone. Before being convicted by the local legal system she was presumed to be innocent and as such the foreign office should have got involved to make sure everything was as on the level as it could be.

Forget about her and think about say English plane spotters who got banged up in Greece for absolutely nothing. Now imagine them getting the death penalty because the foreign office did nothing to help.

Happy holidays!

Edited by Mungler

Sorry, but she got caught doing something that she knew could result in a harsh punishment, and without doubt she knew the maximum penalty could be death. She gambled and lost, that is the life of drug trafficking be it a long one or in her case a little shorter than she expected, Maybe.

Quite agree!! You can't do illegal acts that bring the law abiding citizens of the uk into disrepute and then expect the FO to try and get you off the hook!!

You're all missing the point, but don't let that get in the way of bashing lawyers and backing the death penalty in notoriously corrupt Country :lol:

The foreign office is there for everyone. Before being convicted by the local legal system she was presumed to be innocent and as such the foreign office should have got involved to make sure everything was as on the level as it could be.

Forget about her and think about say English plane spotters who got banged up in Greece for absolutely nothing. Now imagine them getting the death penalty because the foreign office did nothing to help.

Happy holidays!

Not bashing lawyers per se Mung, just can't understand how she can find one to sue the Government but not one to defend her case.

Other than that I am in complete agreement with you. Especially If she is has a history of mental illness as has been reported, then yes the FO do seem to have been a bit lax.

But the whole point is that until there is a fair trial, who is to say who the good guys and who the bad guys are?

Following on, the foreign office / consulate are supposed to get involved to do their best to ensure a fair trial and legal representation.

These smuggling abroad cases are a worry only because the relevant domestic regimes are all 100% corrupt. Who knows which was is up?.... which is why the foreign office and consulate are there.

Bear in mind that the British plane spotters in Greece were all convicted of spying and got 3 years each.

Not too keen on blindly accepting the ruling of a foreign Court following a foreign police investigation? Well you shouldn't be. Remember, that's Greece and that country is half as wonky as the likes of Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia etc

*** it just gets worse! She smuggles drugs gets found guilty and sentenced to death, NOW she is going to sue the UK government for not helping her out!! All thanks to Reprieve!! I really hope this is kicked right into touch from the very beginnning!!

BBC Website states "Sandiford was sentenced to death and is suing the UK Foreign Office for not supporting her appeal"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21240673

Ah, drag the case out and it will die