semi auto or pump

Elmer Fudd 1

Clay shoots can be like game shoots tho where it can be as much about looking the part as it is being able to shoot or not...

At my local clay shoot which is very casual and easy going you get all kinds of guns busted out the cabinet just to have a go and a laugh... the more inappropriate the gun the more people egg you on... tis a reet laugh :D

Edited by thepasty

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More importantly what's your build? I've had a pump, a Browning BPS which was absolutely stunning regarding build quality and it bottom ejected meaning your empties are on the floor by your feet when it comes to pick up time! The trouble I had being a shorty is that it was right at the end of my comfortable stance to hold the fore end and that put me off. I now shoot an auto and hit a lot more, but I've got no doubt that if the hold on the Browning would have been more comfortable I'd have got on great with it.

Next time I'm in Canada I plan to buy a 20g "youth" model. I know, I know, but if it fits it's going to be lovely! :blush:

thanks for all the replies guys, i've been thinking really hard about it but am still sightly unsure

i'm going the the shooting show in a few weeks so ill have to have a look there at everything.the sxp does seen like the way to go

i work at a clay ground as a ref and in all my time have only ever seen 1 pump action.it makes you wonder where they all are

You`ll probably find thats because pumps are not "fashionable" atm for clays. I started off shooting clays with a semi auto beretta 391 and that raised a few eyebrows as everyone else there was shooting o/u`s. I got on really well with it and soon would be getting 23/24 out of 25 on the skeet every time. I usually buy whatever cartridges my local shop has on offer. Sometimes the normal 28g 7.5`s, other times 24g or even 21g. Never had a single problem with the semi not cyling them. Used to put 250 through it every weekend, so it had some serious use.

Atm I tend to use my old cheapie £60 sbs and even thats out of place at the clay range as I seldom see anyone there with a sbs!

Ive also got a mossberg 500 pump and sure, its a strong looking gun. I can imagine using it whilst its covered in mud and it would still work fine. Its fun for a bit doing the old rambo "click click" of the pump, but I find if comparing it directly to my semi, I prefer my semi every time. Might just be personal preference, but thats my experience.

There is no such thing as reliable auto, they all jam at some point, get a pump, don't need to clean to operate, will cycle any shell,

Woah there, now i love my pump as much as the next man but thats a bit of a bold statement! Plenty of pumps cannot reliably cycle short cartridges :oops: And i've seen plenty of jams caused with cartridges that would otherwise normally work because of operator error

and can be quicker to cycle than an auto with practise

:lol: Now thats just being silly, i mainly shoot PSG and have shot with some of the best 'pumpers' in the business and while some of the top tier guys can come close to the speed of a semi, i'm yet to see one that can out pace one

I was once challenged to a 10 cartridge shoot off against someone claiming they could beat a semi with a SbS, the video of my effort is below. If you can beat that time with a pump i'll give you my Supernova, because i'm not worthy to be using it! :yp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfD6NmCUcQ

As for the OP, personally i'd get a semi if you're going to be using it for clays. Using a pump can be a novelty every now and again, but consistently dropping birds on doubles traps can get a bit tedious. And yes i know there are people on here that can out shoot an O/U with a pump-action their grandad built in 1930 so no need to hear from you :rolleyes::P

Edited by Breastman

I only shoot pumps, much more reliable and twice the fun. I dont think there is such a thing as a 100% reliable semi auto.

//edit : I used to have a Benelli M2, it was reliable for the first 3 years or so, I'd put 30,000 rounds through it by then, and it was light striking and all sorts.

I now own a Remington 870 (forever!) and a Benelli SuperNova. Both as reliable as you can get imo, and yes I shoot clays with them. A lot :)

Edited by throdgrain

Woah there, now i love my pump as much as the next man but thats a bit of a bold statement! Plenty of pumps cannot reliably cycle short cartridges :oops: And i've seen plenty of jams caused with cartridges that would otherwise normally work because of operator error

:lol: Now thats just being silly, i mainly shoot PSG and have shot with some of the best 'pumpers' in the business and while some of the top tier guys can come close to the speed of a semi, i'm yet to see one that can out pace one

I was once challenged to a 10 cartridge shoot off against someone claiming they could beat a semi with a SbS, the video of my effort is below. If you can beat that time with a pump i'll give you my Supernova, because i'm not worthy to be using it! :yp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZfD6NmCUcQ

As for the OP, personally i'd get a semi if you're going to be using it for clays. Using a pump can be a novelty every now and again, but consistently dropping birds on doubles traps can get a bit tedious. And yes i know there are people on here that can out shoot an O/U with a pump-action their grandad built in 1930 so no need to hear from you :rolleyes::P

Total waste of cartridges at that speed you would be lucky to hit a barn door :innocent:

I only shoot pump- and lever-action shotguns. They're great fun. Short-stroking won't be a problem if you use it enough.

I would advise you to get an older Remington 870 Wingmaster. They're not expensive second-hand and are as smooth as a very smooth thing.

My favourite would be an Ithaca M37 but you're not likely to come across one of those.

Regards,

Mark.

Had two, sold one to a mate last year, the Ithaca Model 37 Slide Gun is the Rolls Royce of its type. Only 6.5 Lbs in weight!

Had two

I might have one or two myself...

sold one to a mate last year

Ah, I see that you haven't quite got the hang of things. The idea is to *stockpile* 'em. :)

the Ithaca Model 37 Slide Gun is the Rolls Royce of its type.

I suppose that you *could* say that I'd agree with that opinion.

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. Someone else mentioned the relative speed of shooting semis and pumps. The nice thing about my S.1 M37 is that it *slam* fires. :)

Edited by ChAoS

Why would you want to have to pump the gun over the option if an instant second shot?

The second shot with a pump is still very quick unless it's being operated by someone who's new to manually operated shotguns. When I started shooting (using a pump), on more than one occaision I short-shucked and got a "click" when I went for the second clay but *still* managed to pump again and get it with the third "shot". Pumps aren't as slow to operate as many people think.

The advantages of pumps include: cheaper (or better quality for a given price), simpler, (generally) easier to clean, more reliable, will accept a wide range of ammo, etc.

As I said above, a good second-hand 870 WM would be a good choice - cheapish, reliable, smooooth (or should be).

By the way, if anyone buys a *new* (or little-used) 870 Express, it will probably pay the give the chamber a bit of a polish.

Regards,

Mark.

The second shot with a pump is still very quick unless it's being operated by someone who's new to manually operated shotguns. When I started shooting (using a pump), on more than one occaision I short-shucked and got a "click" when I went for the second clay but *still* managed to pump again and get it with the third "shot". Pumps aren't as slow to operate as many people think.

The advantages of pumps include: cheaper (or better quality for a given price), simpler, (generally) easier to clean, more reliable, will accept a wide range of ammo, etc.

As I said above, a good second-hand 870 WM would be a good choice - cheapish, reliable, smooooth (or should be).

By the way, if anyone buys a *new* (or little-used) 870 Express, it will probably pay the give the chamber a bit of a polish.

Regards,

Mark.

Agree with you! Here's my 1977 Wingmaster :)

181122_10150846301536787_186528542_n.jpg