Best way to train myself and a dog

Cosd

Being I am trying to buy a dog as we speak to use for shootng as well a pet, what is the best way to go about training both the dog and myself?

I've owned dogs in the past but never had a gun dog before. I'm willing to put the time in so that isnt an issue, but in truth I don't know what that entails?

Do I read books and ask questions here? Do I get myself and the dog on courses? If its courses for us both, what's a rough cost for this? And what chance do I have of finding someone reputable localish to where I live?

Loads of questions I know, but any bits of info you can give will be welcome.

Cos

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite having loads of dogs over the years my Vizsla was the first dog I've (sort of) trained for shooting.

To be honest, neither of us really knew what we wanted of each other, but in the end we've sort of got there, He isn't a great peg dog, but he'll hunt, point, flush and retrieve all day now. The experience has been a great learning curve and I'll be a lot more certain of what I want with my next dog.

I've now got a young cocker, who is doing lots of basic obedience and retrieving at the moment. I've read all the pinned notes in this section by NTTF and I'll gradually put these into action. Another couple of months and I'll have an assessment session with a local gundog handler, which I hope will give me some good points to work on and also highlight some things I'm doing wrong.

If you ask lots of different questions of different people you'll get lots of different answers and you'll both end up confused. Either try find a local gundog club or talk with a few handlers to find someone who you can help you out - Then follow their advice ONLY. I've a couple of chaps to phone and I'll go see them in action before I decide who to take my cocker to.

Good luck - it's great fun for both you and the dog!

You are more than half way towards training a dog when you state that you need to be trained as well.

As a matter of interest what type of dog are you going for? Some are easier to train than others.

Thanks for the tips so far guys!!

I'm looking to buy a Portugese Pointer

Have you read the numerous posts on buying and training dogs on here?

You are making it hard for yourself ,why a Portugese pointer?

What kind of shooting do you do?

Nothing beats a Lab , Springer or Cocker if your serious about a gun dog. If you want predominately a pet, choose what you will

Have you read the numerous posts on buying and training dogs on here?

You are making it hard for yourself ,why a Portugese pointer?

What kind of shooting do you do?

Nothing beats a Lab , Springer or Cocker if your serious about a gun dog. If you want predominately a pet, choose what you will

I mainly pigeon shoot but enjoy walked up and rough shooting.

I've chosen the pointer because it will do everything I want and the breed suits my needs.

I have a pointer/springer x that has worked well for us the last 3.5 years and I mostly do rough shooting and pigeon decoying, although she has worked beats etc as well and to be honest I have yet to hear anyone say a bad thing about her ;)

pm me cosd and I shall send you some material to help you on your way mate.

I know a guy that uses a collie/ lab x that works very well as well to buy what you desire mate and as long as you put the hours in with the right path you'll have a dog that well do everything your desire and more, I have seen many a dog that people think is great but yet my x does above and beyond any mans needs.

Edited by Mr Rizzini

Hi All

Im new to the whole gundog training scene and have got a 9 week old springer spaniel bitch which seem to be coming on well with house training. I have only owned her for 1 week and she is now making an effort 8/10 times to go to the back door to be let out to the toilet.

My 1st question is what should I be doing regarding training' date=' Should I be teaching her to sit now or what should I be doing?

I have no experience and am starting from scratch so therfore the training will be done thanks to this forums guidance :)

I will mostly be wanting her to retrieve pigeons and to beat some rough ground to flush rabbits, pheasants etc and most importantly to keep me company on those long days in a hide.

[/quote']

A recent quote from another forum, yet you seem to have loads of experience here.............wierd.

Edited by PERCE

A recent quote from another forum, yet you seem to have loads of experience here.............wierd.

Did I had loads of experience???= nope! Do I have a pup that I wanted to learn to house train?= yes Do I have a dog that has never been house trained ? =yes Do you have nothing better to do than check the whole internet to find out what im doing = seems so. Do I get amused b creating threads to see what the trolls have to say = sorry I do :( Anyhow back to the OP thread, get yourself whatever dog you want and if it doesnt work out use some of the advice given hear such as correct problems with a punishment aids such as bark collars lol. You can train any dog to dog what you are looking although you will get people saying you need a kc reg pedigree field trail champoin blood line, Absolute garbage, get the pointer mate and you'll never look back as no matter what dog you get it will only be as good as you train it = fact

you could always give perec £500 for a pup and it will backflip through rings of fire of a 300 metre diving board although I have never seen him appear in any trailling comps ?

Edited by Mr Rizzini

Did I had loads of experience???= nope! Do I have a pup that I wanted to learn to house train?= yes Do I have a dog that has never been house trained ? =yes Do you have nothing better to do than check the whole internet to find out what im doing = seems so. Do I get amused b creating threads to see what the trolls have to say = sorry I do :( Anyhow back to the OP thread, get yourself whatever dog you want and if it doesnt work out use some of the advice given hear such as correct problems with a punishment aids such as bark collars lol. You can train any dog to dog what you are looking although you will get people saying you need a kc reg pedigree field trail champoin blood line, Absolute garbage, get the pointer mate and you'll never look back as no matter what dog you get it will only be as good as you train it = fact

Don't know why you ever bother asking all the stupid ******* half wit questions on here & other places, it seems you know ******* everything, ****wit.

Nice try Mr Ritzzini, but there are plenty on here who are members of the other forum where you made that post

You may be amused but no where near as amused as those that read you posts and ignorance

He was even asking how to make his pup sit ***, what a tool.

I'm sorry guys I have been caught :( Hands up :( I give my pup away to some travellers and stole my neigbours FTC as I couldn't get my 8 week old pup to do somersaults into my decoy pattern, sorry guys that I lied to you's and from now on I will take note what you champion trainers have to offer :) £500 a pup? Can I have 2 please and if they don't work out I'll give them a helping hand with my fathers blackthorn stick ;)

Edited by Mr Rizzini

now now perce thats not the kind of attitude or behaviour that the firearms department want to be handing out firearms to, tut tut ! however like your profile picture you should not be following the sheep but infact be yourselve and you shall be loved! I'm sorry that I am not up to your superior standard in life but I do try my best :( Anyhow again you are writing useless posts that have nothing to do to help the original poster of the thread.